F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bmw i8 or ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default bmw i8 or ftype?

I already know the pros and cons of the f type but my lease is soon to expire and was looking into the bmw i8. I took it for a test drive recently. After the test drive I am about 70/30 leaning towards getting into a new f type with some added options I don't currently have.

The i8 cons to me were a few things. The doors that open up like that appear in general a bit juvenile to me and is difficult to get into and out (mainly out). The dealer did not know if they will continue with these doors in the future and was also unsure about after market mods. The ride is much different. The jag felt like it was more responsive to the gas and much more "wild." The i8 felt very much under control, and brakes were the smoothest i've ever felt....but kind of boring. But I never put it in sport mode and I was probably holding off some considering I didn't want to spin or crash that thing. The other main con of course is the msrp. But I've read where the i8's are sitting and not selling as much and figure people may be able to get a steep enough discount to make it (relatively) much more affordable for people with general f type affordability.

So what are your thoughts on the bmw i8?? Worth it to sway from the f type for three years???

Old 11-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Boring ride. No drama. No symphony. Not even a consideration in my book. (oh...and no manual transmission )

Old 11-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

My brother just leased an i8 for a ridiculous discount. An i have driven both, jag is a lot more fun but i8 is def a consideration. I i am all about the motor so the jag was definilty my choice but its not my daily.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The i8 is completely boring in every way to me and at the prices they are going for there are dozens of cars i'd rather have. Get what makes you happy though.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Recently test drove an i8. It is unique, that's for sure. No more practical than the Jag. Feels about a decade ahead of the F-Type in terms of tech in the dash. Lots of sensors, cameras, tech integration etc.

Ride was ok. Felt heavy, and not that engaging compared to the R. It's not slow, but it also didn't feel fast. It is comfortable though.

You'll save gas though, and being able to go all electric for short commutes is nice.

Styling is love or hate. Get it in all black and it looks pretty better overall although I do like their electric blue.

As for price, it was too much at MSRP. They aren't selling them at MSRP though. The dealer I went to was taking $30k off of brand new ones that have been sitting. That was with no negotiations. Probably could slip a few more grand off of that. So it places it around the same price as an R.

i8: space ship, high tech, semi-boring
F-Type: modern classic, engaging