Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW to supply Jaguar with Twin-Turbo V8s

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Absolutely, no anti-GM snobbery here. Look at my signature below. There's nothing not to like. The supercharged LT4 is a truly remarkable engine. However, I don't believe GM allows their "halo" performance engines to be used by other manufacturers.

If JLR wanted it they probably couldn't get it. Which leads me back to my original speculation that JLR may not have had much, if any, choice of high-performance V8s, once Ford kicked them out. The BMW may have been their only choice.
I'd take an LT4 with a Tremec. As you say: what's not to like? No matter. They probably won't be making F-Types when I'm ready for my next car.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I do not really have anything to add here, but....I am also disturbed with the idea of a BMW turbo or any turbo. I would like to see the manufacturers offer a sports car with natural aspiration or, at worst, a supercharger. Porsche is already on my blacklist. It is claimed that environmental requirements are driving them to turbos because requirements will no longer be fleetwide. I can only cry about that. If Jaguar does indeed move to turbos in the F-Type then the only thing I can really examine for my next car is the Vette. I hope they are at a C8 by then, that looks more like a Jaguar.
Larry
Don't be suprised if GM moves towards turbos by the too for more efficiency.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What make me angry is that turbos are not more fuel efficient than naturally aspirated engines, but they are more efficient when 'bench-tested' by certifying agencies. This is 'legal' version of what VW was doing.

The following users liked this post:
schraderade (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
What make me angry is that turbos are not more fuel efficient than naturally aspirated engines, but they are more efficient when 'bench-tested' by certifying agencies. This is 'legal' version of what VW was doing.
Yea, I don't know where all of a sudden turbos became the fuel efficient wave of the future. My turbo 350z was getting around 8-10mpg on average.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I'm not sure I follow.
As far as I know, turbocharged engines are fundamentally more efficient than NA engines. This is physically provable as there is less energy leakage in a turbo engine.

I think maybe the confusion is over what is meant by efficiency?
If you take a NA V8 and add a turbo to it, it will be more efficient but yet it will consume the same or more fuel. But the turbocharged engine will produce higher output, so comparing these two engines on fuel economy is comparing apples to oranges.

The more appropriate ways to compare turbo vs NA engines on fuel economy might be:
1. Compare two engines with similar output. The turbo will post higher mpg.
2. Compare two engines with similar overall size or weight (including the turbo). The turbo will post higher mpg.

...or am I missing something?

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Naturally aspirated engines are on their death bed. JLR is no exception and they have already gone down the same road as other mainstream automakers...

The 5.0L naturally aspirated V8 was replaced by the 3.0L supercharged V6
The 3.0L naturally aspirated V6 was replaced with the 2.0L turbocharged i4

It's been this way for some years now... it's happening to everyone, look at the AMG C63, the BMW M5, Porsche, everyone is having to do the same thing...

The next stage for JLR is replacing their 5.0L supercharged V8 with a BMW derived 4.0L twin-turbo V8.

What's the issue here? Is it because the engines will be BMW-sourced? or because the 4.0L TT V8 does not drive or sound like the 5.0L S/C?

Actually for me personally it's both reasons...

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
BostonKiller (08-12-2016), jaguny (08-12-2016), lsbrodsky (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Naturally aspirated engines are on their death bed. JLR is no exception and they have already gone down the same road as other mainstream automakers...

The 5.0L naturally aspirated V8 was replaced by the 3.0L supercharged V6
The 3.0L naturally aspirated V6 was replaced with the 2.0L turbocharged i4

It's been this way for some years now... it's happening to everyone, look at the AMG C63, the BMW M5, Porsche, everyone is having to do the same thing...

The next stage for JLR is replacing their 5.0L supercharged V8 with a BMW derived 4.0L twin-turbo V8.

What's the issue here? Is it because the engines will be BMW-sourced? or because the 4.0L TT V8 does not drive or sound like the 5.0L S/C?

For me its both reasons as well.. Jaguar, over the years has produced some fine engines and assuming they will only sell a smallish number of v-8 over the next 10 years it may not make sense to the 'bean counters', but to the car guys, it should make sense to produce a v-8 that is basically a Jaguar engine, supercharged and sounding great.,, even if the efficiency is down a bit, the number of them would be small in comparison to the total fleet, assuming they restrict it to the R only.

Even though the current v-8 apparently has Ford blood in it, Jaguar and Ford had been 'one' at the time and so it is still their engine.
Lawrence

The following 3 users liked this post by Mulmur:
jaguny (08-12-2016), lsbrodsky (08-12-2016), schraderade (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

+1@Cambo, Mulmur

Old 08-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo

If it was made by BMW with Jaguar's design I'd feel better than just sourcing their engine.

And after driving an S6, a C63S and an GS-F on Wednesday, NOTHING drives like my XFR. Might have to do the ultimate sin and keep mine after the extended warranty runs out.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

While I'll miss the off idle rowdy-ness of the blower car and the amazing sounds it makes. When they drop a TT V8 in the F-type, I'll be first in line.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did Jag actually have a press release on this new engine or is it just bloggers. I'd believe the former but not so much the latter.

Turbos will always hit the cars sound track adversely (e.g. Porsche's new all turbo line up). Honest manufacturers will not use the cars sound system to correct the issue, but honesty is a rapidly vanishing quality.

The alternative is loosing weight, but that also means getting rid of the motorized gadgets (e.g., Alfa Romeo 4C...that's what I call a spartan interior). You can get by with small displacement when you go on a diet.