F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Gap/Alignment - hood issue! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 08:50 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks Fire550 for sharing your photos, I agree I could live with these results for my jag. My car scheduled for gap adjustment and rear differential leak on Monday 2/24. Bringing it back to Glen Cove, where I bought my jag. Your jag dealer was quick in addressing you jag, in on Monday pickup on Tuesday, great service. Is this the dealer you purchased your jag? Thanks again for posting your photos.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
Thanks Fire550 for sharing your photos, I agree I could live with these results for my jag. My car scheduled for gap adjustment and rear differential leak on Monday 2/24. Bringing it back to Glen Cove, where I bought my jag. Your jag dealer was quick in addressing you jag, in on Monday pickup on Tuesday, great service. Is this the dealer you purchased your jag? Thanks again for posting your photos.
Actually pretty pissed. They put a tiny chip in the car. Its very tiny but still , so annoyed. Now it is back there and they are fixing it. He assures me it will be perfect so will see. *******S! You can't trust anyone now a days I'm telling you. My car has just over 5000 miles on it and is flawless. I stressed to them how careful I want them to be and how particular I am. Think they listen.........ridiculous !!!

Old 02-19-2020, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by FIRE550
Actually pretty pissed. They put a tiny chip in the car. Its very tiny but still , so annoyed. Now it is back there and they are fixing it. He assures me it will be perfect so will see. *******S! You can't trust anyone now a days I'm telling you. My car has just over 5000 miles on it and is flawless. I stressed to them how careful I want them to be and how particular I am. Think they listen.........ridiculous !!!
That sucks ☹️ I totally understand your outrage. I'm searching for a Jaguar dealer close to me (Goshen NY) other than Paramus. Could I impose upon you to PM me on who you are dealing with. I've looked on line from Westchester to NJ. No one stands out. Thanks Frank my16 s coupe

Old 02-19-2020, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by frank barone
That sucks ☹️ I totally understand your outrage. I'm searching for a Jaguar dealer close to me (Goshen NY) other than Paramus. Could I impose upon you to PM me on who you are dealing with. I've looked on line from Westchester to NJ. No one stands out. Thanks Frank my16 s coupe
I got it back tonight. They corrected the tiny little chip they put in it 99 percent, so I guess I won't kill anyone. Finally got it home and overall the misalignment looks about 90 percent better. I talked to the service manager and the general manager of the body shop told him they were very happy how it turned out. They didn't think it would come as good as it did. He stated that it is impossible to get the gaps and alignment perfect without throwing something off somewhere else. He also said these F types have a design flaw and its why the bulletin was created.
Anyways I can live with it now and how awesome the car is more then makes up for its tiny imperfections.

Oh and to answer your question I got my
work done at ......

Jaguar Albany
351 New Karner Rd
Albany, NY 12205

Not happy with the little chip they put in it but I do realize accidents happen and they did make good on it by fixing it dam near perfect and right away.
Good Luck !

Old 02-29-2020, 09:04 AM

Frank, my16 s coupe storm grey brogue interior performance seats, ok the good news first
1 brought car in on Monday 2/24 For differential leak, with oil covered differential and exhaust muffler, and bonnet alignment issue
2 Thursday 2/27 glen cove called differential leak was a pinion seal failure and fixed, differential and muffler cleaned ( I insisted they put car on lift for my inspection which they did) bonnet alignment not under warranty only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles from new (same response from jaguar dealer in NJ).
3 contacted Jaguar corporate and opened case. They were very responsive and called glen cove for information and TB. Unfortunately they agreed with glen cove.
4 take away glen cove promptly fixed the differential leak and cleaned muffler, they also loaned me a 2020 Land Rover all blacked out (very cool). They had two new F types in showroom and panel gap was similar. I requested a quote from panel shop and was quoted a about $450 with tax. I will follow the instructions above and am confident I will have good results. Thanks everyone for you for your comments. Probably a two hour fix!
Frank Hudson valley NY

Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

That's disappointing to hear about the hood alignment. That seems like something that should be covered no matter when it's discovered.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
That's disappointing to hear about the hood alignment. That seems like something that should be covered no matter when it's discovered.
It was in my case! Bought my 2016 used , one owner a few months ago. Noticed the problem , brought it to my Jaguar dealership and they fixed it. Free!
They got it pretty good. Still off a tad (see my before and after pic above) but it is what it is. Overall I can live with it!

Old 02-29-2020, 01:52 PM

The moral of this story is: if new inspect your jaguar and have any alignment issues corrected within the first year and when purchasing a preowned jag from dealer inspect the car for bonnet alignment and have them correct it before you take delivery. Frank

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (02-29-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Just thought I’d add my experience with the hood/bumper gap alignment. Mine’s a 2018 R I purchased with 1000 miles on the clock. I inspected the gaps when I purchased it and they were actually pretty good. Not perfect as everyone has stated but acceptable.
So today I was cleaning it up a bit and I noticed the driver’s side bumper cover was sticking out about a quarter inch beyond the edge of the hood. WTH?
After some investigation I discovered the two bolts that hold the headlight fixture and cover in place from underneath had fallen out. These bolts are accessed from two holes in the inner fender just below the headlight. The holes have two rubber plugs that can be removed for access. Fortunately those rubber plugs are cup-like and the bolts were sitting in the plugs! I couldn’t believe it.
I was able to get in there, replace the bolts and realign the bumper cover. All’s well now but damn...a 2018 with less than 4000 miles and the bolts actually fell out. Not one but both. Never experienced that type of failure before.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:34 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Poison Ivy
..a 2018 with less than 4000 miles and the bolts actually fell out. Not one but both. Never experienced that type of failure before.
My MY18 had the Torx bolts that (should) secure the brake shield unscrew and score the back of the disc - made a hell of a noise! So that year has form for improperly tightened fastenings.

Last edited by scm; 06-12-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
My MY18 had the Torx bolts that (should) secure the brake shield unscrew and score the back of the disc - made a hell of a noise! So that year has form for improperly tightened fastenings.
Otis Campbell was in the bumper assembly line that year.