Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Book recommendation on Jaguar Land Rover

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Thumbs up Book recommendation on Jaguar Land Rover

Jewels in the Crown: How Tata of India Transformed Britain's Jaguar and Land Rover - Kindle edition by Ray Hutton. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. Jewels in the Crown: How Tata of India Transformed Britain's Jaguar and Land Rover - Kindle edition by Ray Hutton. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

This book covers the history of Jaguar with a focus what happened to the brand before Tata bought it, and how it turned around thereafter. It was published in Sept 2013, so it's a rare current book on Jaguar (all of the other ones out there are really dated and don't cover the XJ/F-TYPE).

It's written by an automotive journalist so it's easy to read, and it covers in detail the cast of characters involved at Jaguar, and the twists and turns the company took to hit rock bottom and then climb back up to the top of the luxury market. The author has been involved in the automotive industry for decades, so he had access to almost all of the key players whom he interviewed for this book.

It narrates how it took a decade of false starts and corporate wrangling to get the F-TYPE out of the door, and describes the internal debates over timing, format, engine size, and marketing.

There are lots of quotes that point to some pretty encouraging (IMO) views on Jaguar's strategy going forward. One that I thought sums it up is from Ralf Speth:
'We are not chasing Audi, BMW and Mercedes volumes; we have our own strategy with more degrees of freedom, not just numbers. The big elephants do things differently; we are more pragmatic."
I found it really interesting to see how the many threads of Jaguar's history (including its interesting relationships with Ford, Land Rover, BMW, Bentley, Aston Martin, etc) created both dissonance and harmony at different points in time. Tata and the current Jaguar management should be rightfully proud of what they have accomplished, but the company's success today is also largely a result of groundwork that was set years ago by Ford, BMW, and other participants in the company's storied history.

Highly recommended!

The following 4 users liked this post by schraderade:
John Fox (07-19-2014), knoxville379 (07-19-2014), PD2911 (07-18-2014), v8cat (07-20-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Jewels in the Crown: How Tata of India Transformed Britain's Jaguar and Land Rover - Kindle edition by Ray Hutton. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

This book covers the history of Jaguar with a focus what happened to the brand before Tata bought it, and how it turned around thereafter. It was published in Sept 2013, so it's a rare current book on Jaguar (all of the other ones out there are really dated and don't cover the XJ/F-TYPE).

It's written by an automotive journalist so it's easy to read, and it covers in detail the cast of characters involved at Jaguar, and the twists and turns the company took to hit rock bottom and then climb back up to the top of the luxury market. The author has been involved in the automotive industry for decades, so he had access to almost all of the key players whom he interviewed for this book.

It narrates how it took a decade of false starts and corporate wrangling to get the F-TYPE out of the door, and describes the internal debates over timing, format, engine size, and marketing.

There are lots of quotes that point to some pretty encouraging (IMO) views on Jaguar's strategy going forward. One that I thought sums it up is from Ralf Speth:
'We are not chasing Audi, BMW and Mercedes volumes; we have our own strategy with more degrees of freedom, not just numbers. The big elephants do things differently; we are more pragmatic."
I found it really interesting to see how the many threads of Jaguar's history (including its interesting relationships with Ford, Land Rover, BMW, Bentley, Aston Martin, etc) created both dissonance and harmony at different points in time. Tata and the current Jaguar management should be rightfully proud of what they have accomplished, but the company's success today is also largely a result of groundwork that was set years ago by Ford, BMW, and other participants in the company's storied history.

Highly recommended!
Thanks for this, it sounds very interesting..

I'm pleased that they are not chasing the 'big elephants' as its not just the sheer beauty of their design, but also that Jag's are relatively rare.

I admit to giving a cheer when I read a post that someone has opted for a Porsche or Merc., for whatever reason, even though I think the Ftype R for instance is, overall, a better choice, because it means just a few less Jag's on the road. All this with the view that they are selling enough Jag's and rovers to remain financially healthy.
Lawrence

Old 07-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Very interesting - will check that out on Kindle.

On another note I was glad to read the F-Type R wins it's class at the Auto Express Awards and the vert was commended in the roadster category. Ralf Speth was added to the Auto Express Hall of Fame. Jag did good!

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Just ordered the book on Amazon.. looking forward to a good read.
Lawrence

Old 07-19-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks, ordered!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Thanks for this, it sounds very interesting..
I'm pleased that they are not chasing the 'big elephants' as its not just the sheer beauty of their design, but also that Jag's are relatively rare.
Agreed. It's not gonna be easy for Jaguar to manage this scarcity because the company is trying to grow. But I believe they're thinking about it creatively. It starts with the realization that they do not need to chase the big boys in Germany. Luxury brands in other industries (particularly fashion) have known for a long time that it's better to limit supply and command higher prices than to saturate the market and dilute the brand: you end up with volume but worse profits.

If they follow this strategy (and I would champion it), it means that Jaguars will likely never represent good value for money in terms of features and performance, but they will continue to possess that aura of desirability that compels admiration, respect and loyalty from enthusiasts and the public alike.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've read the book. I speed-read it yesterday so at some point I need to go back and revisit it.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:02 PM

Just purchased, looking forward to reading it!

Old 07-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Arrow

Agreed. It's not gonna be easy for Jaguar to manage this scarcity because the company is trying to grow. But I believe they're thinking about it creatively. It starts with the realization that they do not need to chase the big boys in Germany. Luxury brands in other industries (particularly fashion) have known for a long time that it's better to limit supply and command higher prices than to saturate the market and dilute the brand: you end up with volume but worse profits.

If they follow this strategy (and I would champion it), it means that Jaguars will likely never represent good value for money in terms of features and performance, but they will continue to possess that aura of desirability that compels admiration, respect and loyalty from enthusiasts and the public alike.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've read the book. I speed-read it yesterday so at some point I need to go back and revisit it.
I have purchased Hermes handbags and accessories for several years. They are insanely expensive. At one point they changed their strategy and their most notable handbag called the Birkin, was relatively easy to obtain. They have realized their error and gone back to their original ways of limited production and made it very difficult to purchase. This has brought back the exclusivity of the brand and also the once held idea that only the rich and famous could afford Hermes. I like you hope Jaguar remains one of the "rare breeds" in the auto industry.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PD2911
At one point they changed their strategy and their most notable handbag called the Birkin, was relatively easy to obtain. They have realized their error and gone back to their original ways of limited production and made it very difficult to purchase.
Birkin bags are a great example!
Everyone wins... Consumers enjoy the prestige and scarcity, and Hermes retains their unholy margins on $20K bags.
Moncler is another non-handbag brand that does this really well.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Birkin bags are a great example!
Everyone wins... Consumers enjoy the prestige and scarcity, and Hermes retains their unholy margins on $20K bags.
Moncler is another non-handbag brand that does this really well.
Exactly. Hermes uses top quality leather and each bag is handmade. The result is a high quality handbag that is beautiful, but overpriced!