F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020 | 06:37 PM
|
Default Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

The dealership is recommending a full brake pad and rotor replacement on my 2016 F-type base. Obviously, the dealership estimate is way over priced. I'm looking at ordering the parts online and taking them to a trusted shop to install. Which brakes pads and rotors do y'all recommend?

Old 03-27-2020 | 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

I got the R1 Concept rotors and pads (slotted and drilled fronts, slotted rears) (OzXFR knows the details) and they have been very good. Quite a bit more bite than stock.

Old 03-27-2020 | 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ml921
The dealership is recommending a full brake pad and rotor replacement on my 2016 F-type base. Obviously, the dealership estimate is way over priced. I'm looking at ordering the parts online and taking them to a trusted shop to install. Which brakes pads and rotors do y'all recommend?
Literally hundreds of threads and posts about "best rotors and pads for my F-Type", search is your friend!
But for a base with the 355 mm front and 326 mm rears I recommend Powerstop Z16 ceramics see here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684
161751 for the fronts and 161752 for the rears, cheap as chips!
I fitted these to my old XFS and there were the quietest, smoothest and lowest dust brake pads I have ever used while still giving good stopping power and low fade. Of course they are street pads and would be no good on the track. You won't see anyone recommending these pads for their F-Type S or R as they don't make them for the bigger 380 mm front or 376 mm rear brakes.
Several brands of after-market rotors to choose from including R1 Concepts which get good reviews, again a helluva lot cheaper than OEM and just as good.
But before you shell out for new rotors check that your existing ones really do need replacing.
SOP for JLR dealerships is to insist on new rotors whenever the pads need replacing but this is BS, in 90%+ of cases a set of rotors will last for two sets of pads.
If your rotors are still thicker than minimum specified thickness they are good to go for another set of pads, just get them machined/skimmed by the brake shop when fitting the new pads (so the new probably different compound pads have a fresh clean perfectly flat surface to bed to).
I have the minimum specified rotor thicknesses around here somewhere (and they are ridiculously conservative), I will post them up if you want.

The following users liked this post:
ml921 (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020 | 07:56 PM

With the 161751 and 161752's, what pad wear sensor(s) did you purchase?

Old 03-27-2020 | 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by teacoff
With the 161751 and 161752's, what pad wear sensor(s) did you purchase?
None.
I am not a fan of the pad wear warning system, too problematic for my liking, so I had it disabled on both my XFS and XFR.
Instead I manually check the pad thickness and condition every few months as it's easy enough and waaaaay better than relying on the sensors.
On the F-Type I have simply disconnected the sensors from where they plug into the pads (front left and rear right) and zip tied the cables up out of the way.
If you completely remove the sensors you will get constant annoying error messages and the way around that (other than disabling the system via SDD) is to cut the wires near to the plugs (up in the wheel wells) and join them together.
But if you really really want new sensors they are fairly cheap and I think Rock Auto sell them as cheap as anywhere else.

Old 03-27-2020 | 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

I also purchased R1 Concepts drilled and slotted performance rotors and pads for my 5.0L XKR about six months ago and have been extremely happy with them. Gone is the horrible shimmying I had with my previous rotors which were that way nearly from the start and which no amount of machining would get rid of. The R1 rotors and pads look great and perform flawlessly while being very reasonably priced and are "plug and play" for Jaguar cars. Their customer service was excellent as well.

Old 03-28-2020 | 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Literally hundreds of threads and posts about "best rotors and pads for my F-Type", search is your friend!
But for a base with the 355 mm front and 326 mm rears I recommend Powerstop Z16 ceramics see here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684
I fitted these to my old XFS and there were the quietest, smoothest and lowest dust brake pads I have ever used while still giving good stopping power and low fade. Of course they are street pads and would be no good on the track. You won't see anyone recommending these pads for their F-Type S or R as they don't make them for the bigger 380 mm front or 376 mm rear brakes.
Several brands of after-market rotors to choose from including R1 Concepts which get good reviews, again a helluva lot cheaper than OEM and just as good.
But before you shell out for new rotors check that your existing ones really do need replacing.
SOP for JLR dealerships is to insist on new rotors whenever the pads need replacing but this is BS, in 90%+ of cases a set of rotors will last for two sets of pads.
If your rotors are still thicker than minimum specified thickness they are good to go for another set of pads, just get them machined/skimmed by the brake shop when fitting the new pads (so the new probably different compound pads have a fresh clean perfectly flat surface to bed to).
I have the minimum specified rotor thicknesses around here somewhere (and they are ridiculously conservative), I will post them up if you want.
Do you have the minimum thicknesses for the super performance brakes? Apparently mine are just above the minimum of 18mm on the rear according to the dealer. But that’s the wrong size for the 376mm as far as I can see!

Needless to say I do not trust my dealer one bit!

Old 03-28-2020 | 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tatty
Do you have the minimum thicknesses for the super performance brakes? Apparently mine are just above the minimum of 18mm on the rear according to the dealer. But that’s the wrong size for the 376mm as far as I can see!

Needless to say I do not trust my dealer one bit!
Here's the specs:
Front 355 mm new = 30 mm thick, minimum thickness = 28 mm.
Front 380 mm new = 36 mm thick, minimum thickness = 34 mm.
Rear 326 mm new = 20 mm thick, minimum thickness = 18 mm.
Rear 376 mm new = 26 mm thick, minimum thickness = 24 mm.
So in all cases the maximum wear "allowed" is a whopping 2 mm or 1 mm each side which as I said is ridiculously conservative.
Nearly all Jag rotors wear around twice as fast on the inner faces than they do on the outer faces so if/when you get to the 2 mm wear limit it's likely you have worn approx 1.3 mm on the inner face and approx .7 mm on the outer face.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Carbuff2 (03-28-2020), JgaXkr (03-28-2020), scm (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020 | 06:56 AM
Banned

Excellent advice and information as always on this forum.

Additionally I would ask how many miles has your F Type covered ?

It seem to be a modern trend for some dealers and manufacturers to encourage replacement of disc rotors when replacing brake pads, my view is if you wish to spend more money it can be said to give peace of mind, but why not replace calipers at the same time ?
Probably because it's mire expensive and not always necessary.

Obviously if you are looking at lighter rotors U fan understand that reasoning however if your being swayed by the "manufacturer / dealer recommends changing pads and rotors at the same time" exercise scepticism .

Have 51000 miles on mine, rear pads seemed to wear quicker and were close to minimum at 42000 so I had them replaced, front pads weren't as worn but I had those replaced at the same time.

Still on original rotors, they're fine on mine

Old 03-28-2020 | 01:14 PM
|

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Thank you for the info as well as the rotor specs. I'll definitely look into whether the rotors actually need replacing. It seemed pretty early (29K miles), but I wan't sure how fast factory brakes wore nor do I know how how the car was driven for its first 18K miles. Appreciate the friendly help from all.