Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brake pads do I get

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which brake pads do I get

Hey all,

I have a 2019 F Type R dynamic. I have been having screechy noise and took it to the dealership... twice. The first time it was "all good" but the second time, and I think it is true- (driven 20K miles no track just regular "safe" fun on streets) that my rear brakes are at 3mm.
Ofc they want me to change the rotors, and I have done all my research and I don't think I need to do that. I heard great things about velocityAP.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with them and if you can tell which would fit/ be best?

Jaguar wants me to get
Brake pads: T2R7945
Rotors: T2R5941

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Those part numbers are for the "small" 326 mm rear brakes (AKA "Performance" brakes), which sounds right for the R-Dynamic F-Type.
Velocity AP (VAP) don't make brake pads but they do sell Porterfield brake pads.
For your rear brakes you want the AP 1752 R4-S pads, see here: https://www.lpiracing.com/store/pc/P...762p266556.htm
You can get them from VAP or per the link from LPI Racing.
Per my sig I have Porterfield R4-S pads and I really like them, mainly because they are a lot less dusty and a lot smoother than the OEM pads.
Lots of other F-Type owners here also have them and like them.
And yes, you probably don't need new rear brake rotors just yet, on pretty much all modern Jags the rotors last for two sets of pads.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
britcardriver (07-19-2021), crateguy (06-27-2021)
Old 12-26-2020, 08:29 PM

Thank you for the clarification!!! Will order now and update how it goes!
Thanks

Old 12-26-2020, 10:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Hmm, I got 65k miles out of my pads, including a couple of track days. Installed the Porterfields a couple of months ago, and am happy with them. Be sure to bed them in with a few hard 60-0 stops. Mine didn’t feel very good until I was able to do that, now they feel great.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Hmm, I got 65k miles out of my pads, including a couple of track days. Installed the Porterfields a couple of months ago, and am happy with them. Be sure to bed them in with a few hard 60-0 stops. Mine didn’t feel very good until I was able to do that, now they feel great.
With the bedding in process you don't want to do 60-0, you want to do hard braking 60-10 or thereabouts then back up to 60 again and so on.
You don't want to stop (ie 0) with very hot pads and rotors and your foot still on the brake pedal, that is what causes pad material deposition ("imprinting") which in turn causes brake judder.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:58 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Oz....I must add much thanx for your info and guidance. Your common sense prompts me to step back and reassess. Excuse the OFF TOPIC, One of my old race cars...NITROAPE, (Nitro Fuel Altered from 1961) is being campaigned in Oz n NZ by some great Kiwi's...0-60 1.09sec, 1/8mi 4.43 sec @ 166.36mph, 1/4mi 6.79sec @ 203.76mph
***BRAKES: Dual Diest Chutes...'59 Olds "Big Brakes", Front "Spools" (brakes delete!) I did "imprint" the safety barrier at EOT 2X....very messy affair.
PM me if ever planning a Vegas trip for lunch Sir....I am an hour away.
Sparky

Old 12-27-2020, 07:02 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
With the bedding in process you don't want to do 60-0, you want to do hard braking 60-10 or thereabouts then back up to 60 again and so on.
You don't want to stop (ie 0) with very hot pads and rotors and your foot still on the brake pedal, that is what causes pad material deposition ("imprinting") which in turn causes brake judder.
Good point. In reality, I did 60-30ish a number of times, as I didn’t find a great place to do this. Maybe 60-10 once.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:53 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Whilst brake pad life can obviously vary considerably depending on usage, I am also surprised at pad replacement being necessary at 20000 miles, my rear pads lasted until 42000 miles.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:38 AM

Hey Paul,
long post-

I was also pretty skeptical, I took my car to Jag sometime around May as I was screeching to a stop every time. They "checked" my brakes and gave me an "aftervisit summary" saying that everything was fine and all brake pads were full thickness. They assured me that Jaguar was aware that their OEM brakes get screechy and are working with the makers to find a solution and that I should reach out to corporate. Of course I did that knowingly that it was false and corporate confirmed that. I did not get any chance to check on my own brakes, given 1 I have minimal experience and 2 I am a resident MD working covid, so if I got off I was asleep!
The screeching kept getting worse. It would start as high as 30MPH till stop, and was just highly annoying. I took it back to Jaguar last week and they told me that my rear brakes are at 3mm and front ones are either 7/9 (I can not remember). Also told me that my rear tires (pirellis) are 3mm tread on R rear and 7 on L rear (replaced L due to a nail earlier in the year).
I am highly skeptical whenever going to dealerships as you can tell, I actually ordered the brakes yesterday when I posted that I will. Honestly I am not sure if I need them or not, I will take a look at the brakes when I replace them, but I really want to get rid of that screech.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

@Omar M Elfeky You sound like you need this:

I still have some from years ago, but I haven't needed it on my cars since manufacturers have learned to provide greased shims for brake pads that do the same thing. Perhaps yours need to have some applied.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Omar M Elfeky
Hey Paul,
long post-

I was also pretty skeptical, I took my car to Jag sometime around May as I was screeching to a stop every time. They "checked" my brakes and gave me an "aftervisit summary" saying that everything was fine and all brake pads were full thickness. They assured me that Jaguar was aware that their OEM brakes get screechy and are working with the makers to find a solution and that I should reach out to corporate. Of course I did that knowingly that it was false and corporate confirmed that. I did not get any chance to check on my own brakes, given 1 I have minimal experience and 2 I am a resident MD working covid, so if I got off I was asleep!
The screeching kept getting worse. It would start as high as 30MPH till stop, and was just highly annoying. I took it back to Jaguar last week and they told me that my rear brakes are at 3mm and front ones are either 7/9 (I can not remember). Also told me that my rear tires (pirellis) are 3mm tread on R rear and 7 on L rear (replaced L due to a nail earlier in the year).
I am highly skeptical whenever going to dealerships as you can tell, I actually ordered the brakes yesterday when I posted that I will. Honestly I am not sure if I need them or not, I will take a look at the brakes when I replace them, but I really want to get rid of that screech.
Just curious how it turned out as I am in a similar situation at 21K miles with a 2018 R-Dynamic with brakes now squeaking when coming to a stop and dealer said my rears pads are at 2mm.