Sponsored by:

brake pads replacement rear F Type R 2016 How To

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Hi all,

I'm trying to install my rear Porterfield pads and the rear caliper will not budge inwards. Does anyone know of something that I may be doing incorrectly? I've used the technique above to release by electronic parking brake which allowed me to remove the caliper, but now I cannot get the new thicker pads in place.
I'm guessing you mean the rear brake piston (not caliper) will not budge inwards.
You probably still need to push the brake piston back all the way in (I think just invoking the Maintenance mode doesn't quite do this), one easy way to do this is with a G clamp and a piece of metal or old brake pad covering the piston.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I'm guessing you mean the rear brake piston (not caliper) will not budge inwards.
You probably still need to push the brake piston back all the way in (I think just invoking the Maintenance mode doesn't quite do this), one easy way to do this is with a G clamp and a piece of metal or old brake pad covering the piston.
Thanks! Maintenance mode was still engaged. Once I figured it out, it was smooth sailing. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Hi all,

I'm trying to install my rear Porterfield pads and the rear caliper will not budge inwards. Does anyone know of something that I may be doing incorrectly? I've used the technique above to release by electronic parking brake which allowed me to remove the caliper, but now I cannot get the new thicker pads in place.
With the caliper removed use an expansion tool to force back the pistons, or with the calipers installed, pry the pistons back with a lack screwdriver. DO NOT use 2nd option on carbon ceramic brakes. Also, make certain that the brake maintenance mode was successfully initiated. The calipers can be easily removed in normal operating mode, but the new pads will never fit. Did you actually hear the whirring when you initiated the maintenance mode?

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-10-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LedZepplin
Ok I got the Porterfield R4S rear pads changed today. My car has 3400 miles. I didnt like the amount of dust from the OEM.

AP1750 FRONT 380MM
AP1753 REAR 376MM

Directions:

1/ Put the car in brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, push the hand brake button down and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off/on and release accelerator and hand brake button. Dash should now read Brake Maintenance Mode. This retracts the EPS motors to allow you to push the piston back in. No tools needed.
2/ Remove wheel, clean wheel and caliper.
3/ Tie the caliper with wire to the upper suspension arm see pic.
4/ Undo 2X 15mm bolts and swing the caliper out, protect with a rag.
5/ Now push the piston back in with the old pads in place. It moves fairly easy.
6/ Remove the outside pad first with a flat head screw driver.
7/ Remove the inside pad and with a small flat head screw driver pry off the wear sensor from the bottom edge (passenger side only USA). Clean caliper,
8/ Compare your new pads with the old ones to make sure they are an exact match.
9/grease the back of the new pads with anti squeal grease only on the contact points.
10/ Replace the outside pad first. They push in easy or use pliers to compress the little spring clip on the pad.
11/ Install the inside pad. Put a bit of wood between the pads to hold in place makes it easier to compress that spring clip and push into place.
12/ Put caliper on disc, replace both 15mm bolts torque to 115Nm/85ft lbs
13/ Attach the wear sensor wire, it just pushed on the piston side pad.
14/ Take the car out of brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, pull the hand brake button up and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off/on and release accelerator and hand brake button. Dash should now clear Brake Maintenance Mode.

Done 40min a side. First will take the longest, so start on the drivers side i.e side with no sensor. Much easier that the fronts that I also did a write up for.
Thank you, this really helped but I also replaced my wear sensors front and rear and now I can't get the break wear indicator light in the dash to go out. I've checked that all the connections are tight and fully engaged and everything is working well. I press down the OK button on the steering wheel as instructed on the dash but the warning will not go out. What have I done wrong??

Old 11-21-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Disconnect the plug for each sensor and test continuity of the sensor with a multimeter. They are closed loop of wire so should have almost no resistance. I think you'll find one has a break somewhere and shows a resistance of 1.
If not, then try cleaning contacts and plugging them back in again

Old 11-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I just received another set of new sensors and plan to install them this weekend. I'll check them with a multi meter before I install them and make sure all contacts are cleaned

Old 06-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Tips removing the front clips ? I don't want to damage the caliper paint, I'm stuck, help please!!

Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Miauuu
Tips removing the front clips ? I don't want to damage the caliper paint, I'm stuck, help please!!
Easy, see my reply to your pm.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:57 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

if you put the car in brake maintenance mode, does this mean your brakes will not work and your car has a chance to roll?

Old 05-02-2020, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Holy F type
if you put the car in brake maintenance mode, does this mean your brakes will not work and your car has a chance to roll?
I don't know for sure but as maintenance mode applies only to the rear brakes and specifically the EPB I reckon the front brakes will still work as normal.
If working on the rear brakes in maintenance mode I would chock both front tyres with one chock in front and the other behind.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I don't know for sure but as maintenance mode applies only to the rear brakes and specifically the EPB I reckon the front brakes will still work as normal.
If working on the rear brakes in maintenance mode I would chock both front tyres with one chock in front and the other behind.
I don’t think EPB has any effect on the front wheels at all. So, yes...car could roll if not in Park (AT) or in gear (MT). Car should be up on jack stands if you’re doing brakes, anyway.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am having a hell of a time getting it into maintenance mode

Old 09-10-2021, 11:40 AM

can anyone tell me if it the same procedure for a 2015 F-Type R, i can seem to be able to get into maintenance mode at all.
1/ Put the car in brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, push the hand brake button down and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off/on and release accelerator and hand brake button.
Dash should now read Brake Maintenance Mode. This retracts the EPS motors to allow you to push the piston back in. No tools needed.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:04 PM

never mind i figured out what i was doing wrong (turn ignition off and then back on)

Put the car in brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, push the hand brake button down and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off and then back on and release accelerator and hand brake button. Dash will then show Brake Maintenance Mode.

This retracts the EPS motors to allow you to push the piston back in. No tools needed

Take the car out of brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, pull the hand brake button up and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off and then back on and release accelerator and hand brake button.

Dash will no longer show Brake Maintenance Mode.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put the car in brake maintenance mode. Ignition on, push the hand brake button down and hold for 2 secs, press accelerator to the floor and hold 2 secs turn ignition off and then back on and release accelerator and hand brake button. Dash will then show Brake Maintenance Mode.

Do you leave ignition on or once it goes into Maintenance Mode, the car will shut off?

I also read where people removed the caliper then the Maintenance Mode went off pushing the piston from the caliper, once in Maintenance Mode do you need to disconnect the wires to the EPB at the caliper?

Old 01-12-2023, 04:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The directions are in this doc. I assume it will stay in maintenance mode when you turn the ignition off, because there are also directions for deactivating maintenance mode. This doc also has lots of interesting info on the EPB (hi-temperature reclamation, etc.)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uajlxghl1a...brake.pdf?dl=0