F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 05:38 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark7Seven
finding a brand of brake pad that doesn’t coat my wheels in brake dust is very much on my list once the OEM pads need to be replaced.
Despite the claims, there really is no modern magic to brake pads. Ceramic pads are the no dust option, but (despite the claims) the best of them fall short of what high quality semi-metallic street pads like (an example) Hawk HPS pads can do.

Auto manufacturers do sometimes use ceramic pads, but the braking system is made larger to compensate for the performance loss.

The best ceramic pads can mimic a quality semi metallic pad in feel, at least on the street. But something to consider, when one drives a car capable of going 180+mph, there may come a time when a single high speed stop is required. Although that sounds easy, it's not. There have been a number of Plaid's overshooting the end of the "high speed run" tests. I don't know of any conventional ceramic pads that excel at this.

Last edited by cujet; 11-29-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:08 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I think you mean Pagid!
You are correct. I'm named after my grandfather Padgett so the phonetics got me!

Old 12-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark7Seven
Changing the entire brake system on the wheel isn’t something I am at all interested in changing on my “R”. However finding a brand of brake pad that doesn’t coat my wheels in brake dust is very much on my list once the OEM pads need to be replaced. My wheels are royal PITA to clean and brake dust all over them changes the color from a deep black to a dusty gun metal grey color after just a few miles. It is one of the minor complaints I have about an otherwise outstanding performance car.
I am currently on the hunt to re-find a thread about "upgrading" brake pads? I remember reading several members saying that they changed brand of pad or rotor (assuming pad). This change helped reduce the excessive dust. Also reading up on frozen caliber which I believe I have just started to experience on one of the wheels.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by cujet
There have been a number of Plaid's overshooting the end of the "high speed run" tests. I don't know of any conventional ceramic pads that excel at this.
At my second track event with the F type (the same track my car now approaches 150mph in the back strait), a model S came into the pits in a panic. He had no brakes; his pedal was on the floor with almost no effect. I told him to take a deep breath, drive around the paddock area at some elevated speed over idle but not to risk collision. I tried to explain what boiling brakes was about but he was clueless. I told him that likely once they cool it won't be perfect (there are non-condensable gases that ofttimes are created), but it would be substantially better once they cooled off. Sure enough, he thanked me profusely later because they came back, there was a little sponginess to the pedal but the car stopped fine. I cautioned him not to go back out until he bled his brakes and put in a high temp fluid because it may happen again (he didn't).

On that car it was not the pads, it was the fluid (surprised me actually - our track normally fades pads before boiling fluid). In any case, though - to affirm - high speed stops are exceedingly challenging on many facets of OEM brakes.

The following users liked this post:
cujet (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by PrettyinPink
I am currently on the hunt to re-find a thread about "upgrading" brake pads? I remember reading several members saying that they changed brand of pad or rotor (assuming pad). This change helped reduce the excessive dust. Also reading up on frozen caliber which I believe I have just started to experience on one of the wheels.
Many have had good luck with the Porterfield R4S pads. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ations-262585/ They purportedly reduce the dust significantly. Some have reported a downside of a bit less brake torque (i.e. stopping ability) when cold, but not significant as I recall. I've run those same pads as my base rear disk pad on my Factory Five Cobra. They are a very good pad.

I have a set in my garage but have not had cause to install them yet!

Old 12-12-2022, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by inmanlanier
On that car it was not the pads, it was the fluid (surprised me actually - our track normally fades pads before boiling fluid). In any case, though - to affirm - high speed stops are exceedingly challenging on many facets of OEM brakes.
It's a heavy car with a lot of power. That'll challenge brakes, especially if the track has hard stops with not a lot of cooling between them.

Many have had good luck with the Porterfield R4S pads. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ations-262585/ They purportedly reduce the dust significantly. Some have reported a downside of a bit less brake torque (i.e. stopping ability) when cold, but not significant as I recall. I've run those same pads as my base rear disk pad on my Factory Five Cobra. They are a very good pad.
The R4S pads are less grabby at low speed, so it's easier to drive comfortably in stop-and-go traffic, and they are more progressive under more normal use. That is, there is a bit less initial bite but I like the feel. More pedal, more stopping. I don't see a big drop when cold (such as we see here) but when thoroughly soaked they don't work well until dried out. The first time I experienced this it was a bit of a surprise, but now that I'm aware it's not an issue.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Yes I also run the CF Porterfields. Very happy with the wear,dust and brake pedal feel.

Burt Gummer (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Have had the Porterfields in a box for years. Just never had changed out yet. 100% the brake dust on OEM sucks. Did coat wheels with ceramic coating which helps. Just wipe down with those cheap yellow Costco MicroFiber towels.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ftypess
So finally found a brembo style brake upgrade for our cars at affordable price on aliexpress...less than 1k for fronts including rotors. I know made in China but, I have seen these in person they are impressive.
Certainly look nice and appear to be decent quality. Price is great. Still, scary to buy product without a history.

Last edited by madomystrong_2; 12-18-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Ftypess (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 08:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should be here in a couple of weeks...

Old 12-18-2022, 10:39 AM

... Going to track the car in the spring and will report my findings. ....
What track do you think you'll be running at?

Old 12-18-2022, 10:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What track do you think you'll be running at?
Mosport GP track

Old 12-18-2022, 11:10 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Many of us switched to Porterfield R4-S pads for that reason. They take some drying when wet, and the initial bite isn't quite as hard as the OEM pads, but a good compromise.
I like them, definitely need more pedal travel to achieve higher force braking, but I don't mind that and find it easier to be progressive and not accidently grab a handful of brake when I don't want to.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:24 AM

Mosport GP track
That should be fun - reasonably fast track it appears. Please let us know how that goes.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:10 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

At my second track event with the F type (the same track my car now approaches 150mph in the back strait), a model S came into the pits in a panic. He had no brakes; his pedal was on the floor with almost no effect. I told him to take a deep breath, drive around the paddock area at some elevated speed over idle but not to risk collision. I tried to explain what boiling brakes was about but he was clueless. I told him that likely once they cool it won't be perfect (there are non-condensable gases that ofttimes are created), but it would be substantially better once they cooled off. Sure enough, he thanked me profusely later because they came back, there was a little sponginess to the pedal but the car stopped fine. I cautioned him not to go back out until he bled his brakes and put in a high temp fluid because it may happen again (he didn't).

Castrol SRF is my go to. FYI...it can go a full season if you track your car....due to its "wet" boiling temp being so high.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Castrol SRF is my go to. FYI...it can go a full season if you track your car....due to its "wet" boiling temp being so high.
Yep, per my copy of the Owner Manual:
"Brake fluid:
Vehicles with carbon ceramic brake discs
Castrol React SRF Racing".

Old 12-26-2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I've used the Motul 600 synthetic for years - it has served me well.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If Wortec is still making the 2 piece suncut rotors, paired with the Porterfields offer a great alternative to an expensive caliper swap. I find that they shed far less dust and require less pedal than OEM after they are properly seated. On the street I have been unable to reproduce the fade that the OEMs exhibited after a spirited twisty run. And, of course, the 10 lb per wheel unsprung weight reduction offers a noticeable handling improvement.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
... And, of course, the 10 lb per wheel unsprung weight reduction offers a noticeable handling improvement.
I'm not trying to poke holes since you post good, rational discussions, but how do you think you're 10 lbs. less? That's sounds like a lot from my gut (but a good a lot!).

Old 12-28-2022, 02:15 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

There’s weight info in the Wortec group buy that Unhingd was part of…
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...f-type-197525/

inmanlanier (12-28-2022)

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade