F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes

I just upgraded the breaks from my 2016 base F type to the red Caliper R calipers. The switch was easy but the breaks have more play. I was wondering if the master cylinders are different between the base and the R which may be contributing to this
-John

Old 04-13-2022, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

A quick check of an online parts catalog shows one brake master cylinder for everything from the Base to the SVR and Project 7. I'd suggest bleeding again. Some systems are just more difficult to bleed completely than others.

Did you change rotors as well?

Old 04-13-2022, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Did you change the pad type as well, such as from OEM semi-metallic to ceramic (eg EBC Redstuffs) or composite (eg Porterfield R4-S carbon kevlar)?
When I changed the rear brakes from 325 mm (base) to 376 mm (R) I also changed the pads all round to Porterfields and the lack of initial bite had me thinking I still had some air in the brake lines.
But no, the lines were free of air and the brakes performed well, it was just that with ceramics or composites you lose that initial bite you get with semi-metallic pads and there is one or two cm of initial brake pedal play where nothing much happens at all and then they start doing something.
I soon got used to this new feel and now I much prefer it, much smoother and more progressive than OEM.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Did you change the pad type as well, such as from OEM semi-metallic to ceramic (eg EBC Redstuffs) or composite (eg Porterfield R4-S carbon kevlar)?
When I changed the rear brakes from 325 mm (base) to 376 mm (R) I also changed the pads all round to Porterfields and the lack of initial bite had me thinking I still had some air in the brake lines.
But no, the lines were free of air and the brakes performed well, it was just that with ceramics or composites you lose that initial bite you get with semi-metallic pads and there is one or two cm of initial brake pedal play where nothing much happens at all and then they start doing something.
I soon got used to this new feel and now I much prefer it, much smoother and more progressive than OEM.
I too like the feel better. I like the progressive fell with less low-speed grabbiness.

I didn't think about pads, but asked about rotors because the OP says the brakes were upgraded to red R calipers, and a rotor diameter mismatch would likely cause problems. I just don't know the interchangeability of individual components on this system.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I too like the feel better. I like the progressive fell with less low-speed grabbiness.

I didn't think about pads, but asked about rotors because the OP says the brakes were upgraded to red R calipers, and a rotor diameter mismatch would likely cause problems. I just don't know the interchangeability of individual components on this system.
All iron rotor F-Type brakes are fully interchangeable, ie front 355 mm to 380 mm and rear 325 mm to 376 mm, they are simple plug and play swaps.
But none of the individual components are independently interchangeable so do to a swap you need a full set of calipers, caliper brackets, discs/rotors, pads and rear splash shields.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:02 AM

Yes I did replace the rotors

Thanks

Old 04-14-2022, 07:04 AM

I did change the pads to cermaics
Thanks