F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 02:38 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Brand new infotainment

I brought my FType for its scheduled oil change and for some things that needed to address while dealer had the car, that was last Tuesday when I dropped it off and was originally suppose to be ready the following day. They provided me with a courtesy vehicle, a brand new Land Rover Discovery with 460 miles as my loaner, oh the new car smell.
WOW! loving the new 10" infotainment, I'm not sure which meridian system it has but it sounds incredible, so much better than meridian 770 in my car, no rattles or vibration, the bass is so much cleaner and another feature i really like are the touch controls on the whole dash. climate controls and steering wheel controlsverything, the whole dash includind steering controls goes black as soon as the car in turned off, all the touch button disappears and all you see is piano black panel. Of course I've always like the frameless rear view mirror.
That being said, I got a call from my service advisor later that day and he said the tech said my upper timing chain cover was leaking oil and there were some coolant leak from the front outlet pipe, apparently its a big job therefore the car will be at dealership for at least a week, thats just great... at least I a have brand new loaner.and all is covered under warranty
Got an update today, advisor said tech has opened a technical case with JLR for the ambient lighting (one of the issues I needed fixed) and still no ETA on when my car will be ready,its definitely not tomorrow which makes it a week.
Again, the new infotainment system is soo much better than one on the my car.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:34 AM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

"climate controls and steering wheel controlsverything, the whole dash includind steering controls goes black as soon as the car in turned off, all the touch button disappears and all you see is piano black panel."

Yes, going black only leaves the smudges and fingerprints from having to use the screen for everything. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I also had Discovery with this system and found it cumbersome and my OCD would require a cloth to be present at all times which detracts from the interior aesthetic.

The following 2 users liked this post by gg2684:
Noshame (07-28-2020), scm (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:18 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wurldfamuz
I brought my FType for its scheduled oil change and for some things that needed to address while dealer had the car, that was last Tuesday when I dropped it off and was originally suppose to be ready the following day. They provided me with a courtesy vehicle, a brand new Land Rover Discovery with 460 miles as my loaner, oh the new car smell.
WOW! loving the new 10" infotainment, I'm not sure which meridian system it has but it sounds incredible, so much better than meridian 770 in my car, no rattles or vibration, the bass is so much cleaner and another feature i really like are the touch controls on the whole dash. climate controls and steering wheel controlsverything, the whole dash includind steering controls goes black as soon as the car in turned off, all the touch button disappears and all you see is piano black panel. Of course I've always like the frameless rear view mirror.
That being said, I got a call from my service advisor later that day and he said the tech said my upper timing chain cover was leaking oil and there were some coolant leak from the front outlet pipe, apparently its a big job therefore the car will be at dealership for at least a week, thats just great... at least I a have brand new loaner.and all is covered under warranty
Got an update today, advisor said tech has opened a technical case with JLR for the ambient lighting (one of the issues I needed fixed) and still no ETA on when my car will be ready,its definitely not tomorrow which makes it a week.
Again, the new infotainment system is soo much better than one on the my car.
Little off the topic, but whats the concern for the ambient lighting? Is it the surround lighting around doors and instrument panel.?

Old 07-28-2020, 07:19 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
"climate controls and steering wheel controlsverything, the whole dash includind steering controls goes black as soon as the car in turned off, all the touch button disappears and all you see is piano black panel."

Yes, going black only leaves the smudges and fingerprints from having to use the screen for everything. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I also had Discovery with this system and found it cumbersome and my OCD would require a cloth to be present at all times which detracts from the interior aesthetic.
Add me to the minority. My 2018 has been at the dealers since this past Friday and I have a 2020 F-Pace as a loaner. I much prefer the infotainment layout in my car and the few hard controls to the newer all touch screen model. Actually I would like to see a roll back from the proliferation of electronic everything to a platform where what was present did what it was designed to do and did it every time in the same manner.

The following users liked this post:
scm (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Add me to the minority. My 2018 has been at the dealers since this past Friday and I have a 2020 F-Pace as a loaner. I much prefer the infotainment layout in my car and the few hard controls to the newer all touch screen model. Actually I would like to see a roll back from the proliferation of electronic everything to a platform where what was present did what it was designed to do and did it every time in the same manner.
exactly - also the reason I didnt like the Lexus LC - everything has dual functions and its not in the line of sight for the driver - I'm a pretty good driver with good hand/eye coordination, but I don't like having to toggle back and forth between climate and radio etc. Make no mistake, I love gadgets and new tech, but for a car, I just want to press something to quickly turn things on or off. All my Infiniti's had voice control, but seriously, why turn down the radio, press a button, and then ask the car to change the "climate fan" only to have the car call respond by saying: "calling Dan" - when I can simply move a dial two clicks usually without looking? I drive a lot without the radio or climate control on, but when I use them, I don't even like hitting the back button on the screen to change the the a/c and then back to the radio. The good news is that the f-type screen does not really show fingerprints. The stuff i sue frequently should be easy to use and I really don't like multi-function buttons. I realize it can create a better interior aesthetic, but from a practical standpoint, not a fan.

Last edited by gg2684; 07-28-2020 at 08:19 AM.
fujicoupe (07-28-2020), scm (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 08:02 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

@wurdfamuz
my upper timing chain cover was leaking oil”.
You are lucky they discovered this. I broke down on the highway due to this leak dripping onto the alternator and destroying it.
I’m not the first.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by malbec
@wurdfamuz
You are lucky they discovered this. I broke down on the highway due to this leak dripping onto the alternator and destroying it.
I’m not the first.
I have not noticed any leaking and my garage floor is coated and would show anything coming from the car; are these leaks super noticeable> That said, I don't have a ton of confidence in my local dealer and I just started my year of CPO. I could imagine them not saying something until I'm responsible for the repair. they were trying to sell me on a 6 year service that included checking for open recalls and TSB's - why in the hell would they charge for that or even mention it - I worked for numerous dealerships and in service, we always checked that stuff first - its free money from the manufacturer and you don't have to deal with breaking bad news to a customer and risk losing the work to an independent shop.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Add me to the minority. .
Me too. Toggle switches, knobs and analog gauges (and lots of them) are so much cooler than LEDs and touch screens.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Noshame (07-28-2020), SinF (07-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Me too. Toggle switches, knobs and analog gauges (and lots of them) are so much cooler than LEDs and touch screens.
And its not an age thing either; I can see just fine and technology doesn't scare me - something are just easier in an "analog " way. I have tons of home audio video gear in numerous rooms and I know how it all works, but I buy RF/IR remotes with tons of tech that make operating everything much more simple. I press one button and it turns the correct stuff on and put its all to the correct setting - tech that makes things easier is good tech - tech for the sake of looking sleek only - no good.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

When I had mine in for some recall item a year or two ago I was given the LR Velar for a couple of days. As some of you, I would expect know, it is touch screen for nearly everything.

Although I enjoyed the vehicle, and aside from having time to learn where everything was, having to use the touchscreen for this and that, some with multiple "clicks" was annoying.

So I'm with a few of you on the just give me a bunch of switches, buttons, and gauges. Are we just old people? Regardless, this is the quintessential dash/console for me :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by NigelW:
Phantomf4collector (07-29-2020), SinF (07-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

My SO, upon getting in my car:

"Your stereo sounds like ****".

She had a 2016 Land Rover Discovery Sport. It had a far superior system than mine. It could even get texts. How does the most base Land Rover have a better system than the flagship Jag?

Her 2018 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic has a far, far , far superior system than even the best new F-Type. I'm not just talking the features, I'm saying the sound quality.

The following users liked this post:
wurldfamuz (07-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 02:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

More interior volume (I.e. cubic feet) helps, but the 380W system in my F-type isn’t very good. The ICTP system in the XE is quite good, however.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:46 PM

The basic Jag system in my car can read out texts.
Now I have UAD CarPlay it will not only read out texts but WhatsApp and Reply using Siri.
My 17MY feels modern again

Old 07-29-2020, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rummy636
Little off the topic, but whats the concern for the ambient lighting? Is it the surround lighting around doors and instrument panel.?
the light in my grab and door handles are not on and from what I read in the forum it has something to do with the CJB module.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by malbec
@wurdfamuz
I’m not the first.
wow. good thing they caught it in mine early. how long did it take to get your car back?

Old 07-29-2020, 03:29 AM

Its either OCD or you just have a some sweaty greasy hands and fingers

Old 07-29-2020, 04:01 AM

I have not noticed any leaking and my garage floor is coated and would show anything coming from the car; are these leaks super noticeable> That said, I don't have a ton of confidence in my local dealer and I just started my year of CPO. I could imagine them not saying something until I'm responsible for the repair. they were trying to sell me on a 6 year service that included checking for open recalls and TSB's - why in the hell would they charge for that or even mention it - I worked for numerous dealerships and in service, we always checked that stuff first - its free money from the manufacturer and you don't have to deal with breaking bad news to a customer and risk losing the work to an independent shop.
Dealership are more than happy to charge the manufacturer all and any warranty work including TSB's and preventative but when it comes to 3rd party companies, the vehicle has to breakdown or the part has to fail and the work has to be approved before dealerships do any warranty repair and usually a rep has to come through and inspect the car prior to giving the autorization unless the dealership has a real good relationship with warranty company where theres no need to wait for the rep which usually takes them 4-5 days to show up at the dealership.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:57 AM

wow. good thing they caught it in mine early. how long did it take to get your car back?
Not long, they had to find time to do it since it was brought in as a breakdown...message was “Charging System Fault”.
However when I got the car back I had brake failure while manoeuvring in a car park, after having driven 200 miles. I rang the dealers while waiting for Jaguar Assist and fortunately spoke to the guy who fixed the car. He said that he had to remove the brake servo pump in order to facilitate the repair and he had probably not put the pipes back on securely!!!!
He talked the Jag Assist guy through the procedure and problem solved.The pipes go on with a positive click.
I could have been killed had the pipes come off on the highway and not in the car park but the dealer refused to answer my reply to their standard email asking me to rate them as outstanding.
I shall not use them again.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:14 AM

Its either OCD or you just have a some sweaty greasy hands and fingers
Thanks for the ridiculous assumption regarding the cleanliness of my hands; however, you don't have to be a CSI expert to know fingerprints can lifted from unlikely surfaces simply due to naturally occurring oil and amino acids (yours too Sir). Also, it doesn't have to be one or the other; I have OCD which for me includes a preference not to see marks on a screen in a clean car, but fingerprints are left weather hands are dirty or not and smudges occur when you don't precisely press the correct spot on the screen. Bottom line is that the smoother/glossy a screen is, the more subject to residual fingerprints from use and when you have to use that screen to control the majority of functions, it is perpetually marked up. One is a preference and the other is a fact - I was merely pointing out that screen is impossible to keep clean during use, perhaps I should stop driving my car to the oil rig I work on and start using white driving gloves.....

scm (07-29-2020), SinF (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the ridiculous assumption regarding the cleanliness of my hands; however, you don't have to be a CSI expert to know fingerprints can lifted from unlikely surfaces simply due to naturally occurring oil and amino acids (yours too Sir). Also, it doesn't have to be one or the other; I have OCD which for me includes a preference not to see marks on a screen in a clean car, but fingerprints are left weather hands are dirty or not and smudges occur when you don't precisely press the correct spot on the screen. Bottom line is that the smoother/glossy a screen is, the more subject to residual fingerprints from use and when you have to use that screen to control the majority of functions, it is perpetually marked up. One is a preference and the other is a fact - I was merely pointing out that screen is impossible to keep clean during use, perhaps I should stop driving my car to the oil rig I work on and start using white driving gloves.....
You will only be allowed to wear driving gloves of any color if you also sport a man bun.

Quick Reply: Brand new infotainment