F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?

Hello all I am back in love with the F-type again, I was content with 1 Jag and love my 14 XKR, but now that I have been flirting with the F-Type, the XKR is looking a bit fat but still sexy!

But seriously I keep going back and forth between black which is always black and safe vs British Racing Green which I have had 3 different shades of over the years and am crazy about it 90% of the time but sometimes in the sun it seems to show a hint of blue, even Brewster Green kind of does that but it looks so great and perfect on a British car. Anyone have any second thoughts about having BRG vs something else? Also does anyone have any second thoughts about going MT vs AT in either direction? The only AT I have is in a GMC Sierra that is used to haul an enclosed auto trailer. Even if it was a close comparison I figure I better go MT while it is still a choice.

Thanks for your input!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

BRG all the way. It's like having several different cars depending on the light. MT if you enjoy actually driving the car and not just steering. Get it while you can because so few in the US can actually operate a MT, it's hard to imagine it won't go fully extinct in ten years.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:16 PM

Love my BRG, F-Type Conv. even if it's not the same BRG as the E-Type. Lots of positive comments from Looky-Lou's, too. But, if you are getting the coupe, Black does look very good on that car.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I think the BRG (as most of the dark colors in the line-up) are very hard to discern in low light (BRG, Black Berry, Black Amethyst, Dark Sapphire Metallic). I'm a purist - I ordered mine in black. And not the metallic Ultimate Black (which to me never looks clean) - I went with the flat Ebony Black which you rarely find at a dealership.

For me it was no question to go with the MT. The only downside to me is the AT has the ECU programmed for more playful noises (pops & crackles) than you'll get out of the MT. I'd have a lot of fun learning to play it like a musical instrument on upshifts and downshifts.

Let me caveat that by saying this is what I hear - I've yet to even drive the MT. Mine is currently on its way through the Panama Canal :-)

Old 11-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm a die-hard manual guy and always hated ATs. I initially didn't want the F-Type because it wasn't available as a manual in 14. Much to my surprise, I was incredibly impressed with the AT, and I bought one. It's the first and only AT I was ever impressed with, and I still like it.

Having said that, if I were buying today, I would go with the manual, but it's a close enough call that I would not sell my current car just to get the manual. I still love driving the AT in manual mode with the paddle shifters.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

My personal car is a base Polaris White Coupe. I get to putt around in a BRG Coupe S for work sometimes. BRG would have been my second choice but with a black pack and black interior

Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Buckingham
BRG all the way. It's like having several different cars depending on the light. MT if you enjoy actually driving the car and not just steering. Get it while you can because so few in the US can actually operate a MT, it's hard to imagine it won't go fully extinct in ten years.
I agree, I think it is already pretty much out the door! I hate to say the word Porsche, but they lost a long time loyal customer but aren't worried, they will sell more GT3's and Twin Turbo's with the PDK anyway, not worth talking about, I was just surprised Jag offers it on any model of the F-Type.

I know what you mean about BRG, you don't see many and in the right light it just plain looks awesome!! I am also in limbo about the R vs base, I know the R is intoxicating but being in SoCal I can't go 5mph over the speed limit without seeing some type of law enforcement, so it is probably a guaranteed ticket or suspended license but it would be crazy fun on the track. At this point, all I care about is that it is BRG, with the blackout package, those sick seats and a MT. Also I wonder how the suede looks over time, I have no clue how to take care of it other than use a rubber eraser looking thing when it starts to get smooth.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

ZF 8 speed auto in the F Type is really impressive. The programming is aggressive and manages sporty shifts particularly well, like automatically holding a lower gear through a turn, for example. And, yes, the excess burbles and burps are a perfect touch!

Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 PM

I need to play around with the configurator more, I don't understand the restriction on options etc. I like those great seat with the darker tan leather, but it's not available on the R, and also the black leather is not available with white stitching, sport seat and clear roof on any of the models. Like I say I probably need to play with it more.

Actually I like the base model, black package, clear roof, 6MT and the wheels from the S in silver, or go all out with the R, oh well choices, choices!

The pic of the R inside the showroom lighting is what BRG is all about, that is the perfect shade and tone!

Attached Thumbnails BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-aaaaa.jpg   BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-aaa.jpg   BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-bb.jpg   BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-cccc.jpg   BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-ccccc.jpg  

Old 11-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Apache - this is a re-post from the Pic Thread, but here ya go...

Must say I wasn't looking for Black. Was thinking white, IRC or blue... But, the BRG is simply breathtaking - especially in person. When the sun shines on it, well, let's just say I haven't found a picture yet (including my own) that can capture it. The sparkles are simply stunning.

Now, at a distance when it's cloudy? I've had asked, "Who owns the black Jag?". I just smile.

After I ordered the BRG, I had buyers remorse a bit. I had seen a BRG in person a couple of months earlier. But, I was leaning toward the other colors mentioned when my family basically said they would kill me if I didn't get the traditional BRG for a Jag (although we all know there is too much black pigment for true BRG). I actually had my dealer get mine from a dealer where I had seen it online. Was worried I had made the wrong decision as it was being transported.

Then.... it arrived.

Did I mention it is stunning? lol

This car will look stunning in any color. BRG in the sun takes the car to a different place, IMHO. Unfortunately, I live in PA, not CA like you do. It's cloudy a lot. But, I can only imagine what a CA based BRG will do for the soul!

You have my vote!

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-160-2-.jpg

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-12138414_10153140252631560_7939627312918424103_o.jpg

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-905589_10153140252611560_2921069726808650621_o-1-.jpg

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-10926352_10153140252721560_6001887010536205345_o.jpg

Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 PM

The only color BRG never has is the one in the confuguator. It looks black in the garage but in the sun, it looks like the waters around Bora Bora.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Default BRG flash

Flash picture of BRG

Attached Thumbnails BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-image.jpeg  
Old 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Flash picture of BRG
Buckingham - that is a good representation...

Old 11-03-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Flinger
Apache - this is a re-post from the Pic Thread, but here ya go...

Must say I wasn't looking for Black. Was thinking white, IRC or blue... But, the BRG is simply breathtaking - especially in person. When the sun shines on it, well, let's just say I haven't found a picture yet (including my own) that can capture it. The sparkles are simply stunning.

Now, at a distance when it's cloudy? I've had asked, "Who owns the black Jag?". I just smile.

After I ordered the BRG, I had buyers remorse a bit. I had seen a BRG in person a couple of months earlier. But, I was leaning toward the other colors mentioned when my family basically said they would kill me if I didn't get the traditional BRG for a Jag (although we all know there is too much black pigment for true BRG). I actually had my dealer get mine from a dealer where I had seen it online. Was worried I had made the wrong decision as it was being transported.

Then.... it arrived.

Did I mention it is stunning? lol

This car will look stunning in any color. BRG in the sun takes the car to a different place, IMHO. Unfortunately, I live in PA, not CA like you do. It's cloudy a lot. But, I can only imagine what a CA based BRG will do for the soul!

You have my vote!

Attachment 121063

Attachment 121064

Attachment 121065

Attachment 121066
I can relate, you need to send me some clouds, I actually crazy about BRG when it is in low light conditions, but also agree it looks great in the sun when it is taken care of and is glossy.

I still can't get used to the almost extreme differences in overall shape of the XK vs F-Type, when you see an XK all day, it looks like they forgot the rear end of the F-Type and when you are looking at the F-Type the XK wheelbase looks so extreme! But there are few cars that can match the sexiness of them both.

I also agree on the green on the config is different, but looks perfect. The tan also looks a bit better on the config than real life, again, light plays a big part. I am almost leaning toward the suede with white color stitching, it show the clear roof but one of the versions it won't let me configure that way! So many choices, too little time!

Old 11-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

FWIW, after driving my car approximately 3-4 days a week 18 months, the Cirrus suede in my car shows zero signs of wear and looks brand new.

The following users liked this post:
1960apache (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
FWIW, after driving my car approximately 3-4 days a week 18 months, the Cirrus suede in my car shows zero signs of wear and looks brand new.
Hey thanks for the input, does your have the "Cirrus" or light colored stitching? I like that combo! It's the same issue, black or charcoal is always the same, but I keep looking at the dark tan leather in the configurator and it looks great, then I see it in pics and don't like it as much but I guess BRG and tan/brown is a classic combo for a British car but white and red were probably just as popular, whatever looks good to us is what to go with. They say if you don't look back a few times when walking away from your car or bike, you bought the wrong one! And sometimes it's man what a choice and also, what the heck was I thinking! It's a bit of running around to see different color combo's and the sales people are never happy you came to look at a color combo to buy a car from another dealer! I should have hit some big shows or events to see the combo, but even then the lighting makes such a difference and photos are different depending on camera, then the monitor you view it on etc.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

I have the standard Cirrus Sport Seats with suede/alacantra inserts in a base convertible. Picture taken just now shows no visible wear after 18 months, driven 3-4 days a week. I found these to be much more comfortable than the optional Performance seats with the "wings" on them.

I suppose the downside on these is that color choices are very limited, but they work great in a Polar White car.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-03-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Now that I've seen the BRG in person I am very impressed with it. Sun is definitely its friend. The brogue interior would make it perfect.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Now that I've seen the BRG in person I am very impressed with it. Sun is definitely its friend. The brogue interior would make it perfect.
Agreed brogue is beautiful, but I also saw lhoboy's BRG coupe w/ camel this weekend, which is equally stunning.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

+1.

Originally Posted by gbarker
Love my BRG,....... Lots of positive comments from Looky-Lou's, too.
+1.

Originally Posted by 1960apache
I know what you mean about BRG, you don't see many and in the right light it just plain looks awesome!!
+1.

I was flirting with the idea of getting the IRR. Truly brilliant in all lighting. However, I went with the more reserved BRG. ZERO regrets. The MT on this car has it's shortcomings all explained in excruciating detail (mostly by me) in other threads. Again, despite the truly outstanding performance of the F-Type AT by comparison, I have ZERO regrets about getting the MT. This may truly be the last Hoorah for MTs in any high end sports car. The driver engagement with the vehicle is truly outstanding.

Quick Reply: BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?