F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 01:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
FWIW, after driving my car approximately 3-4 days a week 18 months, the Cirrus suede in my car shows zero signs of wear and looks brand new.
Thanks again, I am liking the look better, I wish the Brogue was the same as the website, but the jet suede with the stitching looks great, I have had enough cars with Leather so it would be a nice change.

Also the perfect combo so far is the S with the wheels I like, black pack, sport seats for 9k more than the base. More HP, big brakes. I will have to keep looking at the combo to see what I like in a few weeks, it seems to change!

Attached Thumbnails BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-sgreenblack5.jpg   BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-sgreenblack4.jpg   BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-sdgrrr.jpg   BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-sbrogue.jpg  
Old 11-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I also came from an XKR. Being used to the XKR power I wasn't sure if I would be happy with the V6 and I didn't want to trade up later. I made that mistake buying my 2007 XK and ended up a year later trading to an XKR. Very happy with my choice.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

There were only two iridium colors left for the F-Type with BRG and IRR, however I have not seen the Black Cherry or Ammonite to see if they are as deep and color changing as BRG and IRR are. I have IRR on my XKRS and it changes the color from a metallic deep red to an almost flat Ferrari or fire engine red. Same for the satellite grey we have on our F-Type. It goes from a metallic sky blue, to silver to matt grey but that was only available on the F-Type in the first year. You will be very happy with BRG as far as it goes to actually "satisfied" by the color of the car. The color on our cars really amaze me especially every time I was wash the cars. The change of color along side the car when looking front to back is just amazing.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I also came from an XKR. Being used to the XKR power I wasn't sure if I would be happy with the V6 and I didn't want to trade up later. I made that mistake buying my 2007 XK and ended up a year later trading to an XKR. Very happy with my choice.
I can relate, I don't think I will ever get tired of the XKR or get rid of it, it is a different car pretty much all together, I never get tired of the size or looks and really like the piano black on the interior. I wish I could find a set of sports seats and have them upholstered in a dark shade of brogue.

They don't play fair at Jaguar, once you drive an R, it's just hard to settle for anything less, but being rational I know I will seldom be able to use that power without getting arrested or wrap it around a tree. The base model I like is 75k, the S is $86k and the R is $118 with the ceramic brakes or $12k less so $20K more than the S etc.

I guess I just need to let the Ether wear off and come down to reality, $40k difference is a whole other car, I would rather use the money to upgrade my 2010 M3 to the new M4! I wish BMW would build and market like Jaguar, I would be happy with just he M4 body and a 300hp engine for $24-$30k less. Remember, he who dies with the most toys wins, but I would probably be speeding that up being tempted all the time with the 550hp in the R.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

So despite my recent post that I preferred a MT and preferred black, this weekend I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a demo 2014 AT in BRG and drove it home. I have to say this post made me think twice about BRG and looking at in bright sun it is very nice. And although the AT wasn't what I wanted I'm really enjoying it. I always loved the burbles and make a point to 'play' them with throttle lift off between gears, but I had never noticed the incredible sound it makes on upshifts under hard acceleration. It's a bit contrived but haven't had this much juvenile fun in a car since my Viper.

Attached Thumbnails BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-brg-day.jpg  
Old 11-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Balboa
So despite my recent post that I preferred a MT and preferred black, this weekend I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a demo 2014 AT in BRG and drove it home. I have to say this post made me think twice about BRG and looking at in bright sun it is very nice. And although the AT wasn't what I wanted I'm really enjoying it. I always loved the burbles and make a point to 'play' them with throttle lift off between gears, but I had never noticed the incredible sound it makes on upshifts under hard acceleration. It's a bit contrived but haven't had this much juvenile fun in a car since my Viper.
I can relate to both the MT/AT and also was set on an S with MT, then sold myself on the R, which would be about $20k more with the options I want, and now for 2016 the only offer the R with AWD so no crazy burnouts, but the flip side is, it takes away the worry of wrapping it around a tree! Oh heck, it never seems to end so I go back and forth between the R and the MT, S. I also am not crazy about the rocker ground effects or whatever, it looks cleaner in the base and S models, I need to look into how much a set would be for the S and save the body color ones since they would get all beat up from road debris.

Also I have a good friends brother, who does vinyl wrapping and they do great work, it's hard to tell it's a wrap until you open the doors, the material is really pretty cheap so I have been experimenting and trying to learn how to do it. Hoods, door, fenders are easy, the bumpers are a nightmare but it would be a cheap way to change from the BRG to red with black wheels, or black with black wheels etc when I have those late night urges to do stuff like that.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I ordered silver with stratus seats, then saw the BRG at Castle Bromwich factory 1 week later. Almost changed my order! BRG is very nice but I like the coupes in lighter color.
Dream would be to have a MT convertible in BRG with a tan top - and keep my "silver bullet" coupe for the rainy days.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm a die-hard manual guy and always hated ATs. I initially didn't want the F-Type because it wasn't available as a manual in 14. Much to my surprise, I was incredibly impressed with the AT, and I bought one. It's the first and only AT I was ever impressed with, and I still like it.

Having said that, if I were buying today, I would go with the manual, but it's a close enough call that I would not sell my current car just to get the manual. I still love driving the AT in manual mode with the paddle shifters.
+1

Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the standard Cirrus Sport Seats with suede/alacantra inserts in a base convertible. Picture taken just now shows no visible wear after 18 months, driven 3-4 days a week. I found these to be much more comfortable than the optional Performance seats with the "wings" on them.

I suppose the downside on these is that color choices are very limited, but they work great in a Polar White car.

Absolutely agree. The Cirrus seats are much more comfortable for daily driving IMO and still have plenty of options to hold your butt in place while hammering the corners.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
+1.

+1.

+1.

I was flirting with the idea of getting the IRR. Truly brilliant in all lighting. However, I went with the more reserved BRG. ZERO regrets. The MT on this car has it's shortcomings all explained in excruciating detail (mostly by me) in other threads. Again, despite the truly outstanding performance of the F-Type AT by comparison, I have ZERO regrets about getting the MT. This may truly be the last Hoorah for MTs in any high end sports car. The driver engagement with the vehicle is truly outstanding.
I can relate, too many choices. I did get to drive the R and S manual, the dealers where about a hour apart so it wasn't actually back to back and I drove my 2010 M3 with a 6spd MT. I guess I am getting old, I am not as sharp at driving a manual, maybe it is due to the 6 gears but not having to use them all at the same time. I shouldn't have driven the R, it's unexplainable that is actually legal to own and drive but I am still sure it would be some tickets on my luckily clean driving record, a black car blends in well. The 8spd is amazing, it finds the perfect gear which I cannot always do with an MT as hard as I try, I am not 100% like an AT.

Anyway, there are some good buys on low mileage R's but I am concerned they were demo cars, or cars the press got to trash etc, so I am hanging back and seeing what BRG S's come on the market until spring.

I did find a few new or under 500 mile 2015 XK, XKR's in black and one with Ivory interior which is cool. I am actually leaning toward grabbing a low mileage 2014-2015 XK, I miss my 2007 that I probably lost a ton of money on due to having to have the latest and greatest Jag and trading it in too quickly on the M3 for the V8. I love them both, the XK and F type have to be about the 2 sexiest cars on the planet. I was set on the M4 but after looking at an F type or XK, the proportions are perfect, the M4 has almost no front overhang and a huge overhang in the rear, which looks all wrong after spending time around a Jag. So I guess I may be a 2 Jag family but finding 2 used, low mileage cars, base XK and and F type S with manual trans, that are a great buy and would be about the same cost as keeping the M3 and getting a loaded F Type R.

Oh well, back to hunting!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

My first reply to this post was a preference for a non-metallic black over BRG. Boy was I wrong. Now that I have BRG I'm really falling in love with it. I just had the whole car wrapped in Xpel and it brings out the metallic even more - dreading those cloudy days. And on another note this is my first car with paddles (not my preference vs MT) but they are fun, even if for no other reason but to manipulate the pops on throttle lift. (My radio could be broken for all I know)

Attached Thumbnails BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?-20151203_111358_resized.jpg