Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

British Options Choices More Attractive

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Careful commenting on powered tailgates. Some members are a bit sensitive about the subject.
What the??? How can someone get sensitive over something like that??? You either like them or not. They need to take the advice of my ocean racing crew who like to say on occasion, "Hey princess, I'll put a couple of teaspoons of cement in your coffee for you, so then you can harden the $&@# up!"

Originally Posted by F-typical
Although, the lack of fingerprints argument is a new and interesting one given that the release button is underneath, while the interior handle and latch mechanism mean you never have to touch the paint
Sure, I wouldn't touch the paint, but anyone with three kids like me who put bags in the back would tell you that you're kidding yourself if you expect them to be as careful! As it is, I'm continuously cleaning handprints off the door and passenger window.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
There are some sob stories over at Porsche regarding CCB costs.

Read this (there are several similar threads).

Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes - 6speedonline.com Forums
Thanks for that thread (I noted your contribution). A15FS started a thread here the other day about being afraid to post here (it's over in the Feedback and Suggestions section now). He should go and read that thread so he can get an idea of how civilized things are here on the Jag forum!

Interesting thread, though. I don't think it's OP is reasonable in his criticism of PCNA. 900 track miles is punishing for any brake system, carbon or steel. Sure, he replaced pads regularly, but his rotors had to give out eventually with that sort of work, combined with what I read as "spirited" daily driving. (Can't imagine what his daily drive looks like with "10+ turns per mile" - he must live in the mountains). It does give one food for thought though about the effect of constant torque vectoring intervention, and whether or not to use any traction control on track (we do have TracDSC though, which is good).

You just don't read widespread reports of CCB failure. Isolated reports, yes, but nowhere near the problem rates of steel systems.

I maintain the CCB option is a terrific albeit an expensive choice if you've got the luxury.

Last edited by OzRisk; 01-25-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Thanks for that thread (I noted your contribution). A15FS started a thread here the other day about being afraid to post here (it's over in the Feedback and Suggestions section now). He should go and read that thread so he can get an idea of how civilized things are here on the Jag forum! Interesting thread, though. I don't think it's OP is reasonable in his criticism of PCNA. 900 track miles is punishing for any brake system, carbon or steel. Sure, he replaced pads regularly, but his rotors had to give out eventually with that sort of work, combined with what I read as "spirited" daily driving. (Can't imagine what his daily drive looks like with "10+ turns per mile" - he must live in the mountains). It does give one food for thought though about the effect of constant torque vectoring intervention, and whether or not to use any traction control on track (we do have TracDSC though, which is good). You just don't read widespread reports of CCB failure. Isolated reports, yes, but nowhere near the problem rates of steel systems. I maintain the CCB option is a terrific albeit an expensive choice if you've got the luxury.
The way Porsche markets the PCCB emphasizes the lack of fade which is really a track benefit. So I think it's reasonable to think people who buy this package will track it and they should warn against that.

I would probably get it if the price were a little lower. However I don't track the car, I drive low miles and I don't keep a car more than 2 years. I've never paid for a rotor in my life. I've also never experience brake fade. To me the benefit is weight and less dust.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 01-25-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
However I don't track the car, I drive low miles and I don't keep a car more than 2 years. I've never paid for a rotor in my life. I've also never experience brake fade. To me the benefit is weight and less dust.
Given your circumstances, I agree you're making the most appropriate choice.

I've definitely experienced brake fade more than once - it's a truly indescribable feeling to be getting to the end of the main straight at Phillip Island at over 200kmh, press the brake pedal and feel ... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing.... Oh, there they are! Phew!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
900 track miles is punishing for any brake system, carbon or steel.
That is asking a bit much. I would routinely rebuild my racing engines every 500 miles. Brake pads replaced every 100 miles. But they were soft enough, I never had to replace the rotors for wear, only when they overheated and warped.