F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken Active exhaust. Valve stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
Default broken Active exhaust. Valve stuck closed

For the 4th time my Switchable active exhaust has decided it doesn't want to work properly, randomly one of the valves or something won't open and gets stuck, sometimes heavy acceleration and cycling the valves will fix this, sometimes I have to turn it off and wait. But all I know is it sounds horrible when it happens. This car's exhaust has been replaced 4 times under warranty, three times for this, and the other time they dropped the exhaust before they installed it and dented the tips. In for exhaust number 5. plus both cats have been replaced twice. Car is bone stock! Here are the valves stuck... sorry for sideways upload.

here are the valves functioning after being cycled.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

As simple as the valve is on the active exhausts its both hard to understand why it keeps failing and why they decide to change the entire exhaust. The woes of being a car manufacturer....

Old 08-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype
For the 4th time my Switchable active exhaust has decided it doesn't want to work properly, randomly one of the valves or something won't open and gets stuck, sometimes heavy acceleration and cycling the valves will fix this, sometimes I have to turn it off and wait. But all I know is it sounds horrible when it happens. This car's exhaust has been replaced 4 times under warranty, three times for this, and the other time they dropped the exhaust before they installed it and dented the tips. In for exhaust number 5. plus both cats have been replaced twice. Car is bone stock! Here are the valves stuck... sorry for sideways upload. https://youtu.be/ZGlVCmpvDn4

here are the valves functioning after being cycled. https://youtu.be/_r44klYNWiE
When it's no longer under warranty, replace it with the VAP Valvetronic exhaust. The valves are (1) of far superior quality, and (2) bolt-on replaceable.

The following users liked this post:
KarimEls (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Have you tried to manually open the valve with the exhaust cold and engine off? The linkage is above the pneumatic actuator. If that works, I would start looking at the vac lines.

Carbuff2 (08-10-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
When it's no longer under warranty, replace it with the VAP Valvetronic exhaust. The valves are (1) of far superior quality, and (2) bolt-on replaceable.
Why wait? I was thinking of making this switch and I'm still in warranty. Wouldn't void anything would it?

Old 08-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
Why wait? I was thinking of making this switch and I'm still in warranty. Wouldn't void anything would it?
No, wouldn't void the warranty (except on the muffler). I was just thinking, if money's an issue, let Jag pay for a new one.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

let Jag pay for a new one.
Isn't that the definition of insanity?

It's often said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Very, very, very often said.

The old saw, which has been most commonly attributed to Albert Einstein by folks who tend to imply he may not have said it (it's not actually attributed anywhere), comes up again and again in journalism.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Isn't that the definition of insanity?
Haven’t you noted my moniker?

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Carbuff2 (08-10-2019), scm (08-10-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 212 Likes on 189 Posts

I had a line become disconnected, 2 minute dealer fix.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

No, wouldn't void the warranty (except on the muffler). I was just thinking, if money's an issue, let Jag pay for a new one.

According to my dealer if i replace the Rear box, I loose all exhaust warranty, and My cats have been replaced twice under warranty, thats not a fix I want to pay for my self. They said that would no longer be covered under warranty. I would love the VAP system.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member

According to my dealer if i replace the Rear box, I loose all exhaust warranty, and My cats have been replaced twice under warranty, thats not a fix I want to pay for my self. They said that would no longer be covered under warranty. I would love the VAP system.
Just slide the OEM muffler back on if you ever get a cat code. In reality, they would have to warrant the remainder of the exhaust system anyway as they have to find that the aftermarket exhaust caused the problem (which is impossible). That said, the legal hassles of making the dealer comply isn’t worth the effort.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

find another dealer or advisor. that's bs. jaguar doesn't have cameras in shop looking at modified cars nor would replacing the muffler cause a issue with the rest of the exhaust. Cats are covered 8/80 under federal emissions warranty and again not going to be affected by what's behind them. mostly cats fail from a misfire/rich running engine.
Lastly would have to prove that the upstream exhaust failed from a changed muffler. I would love to see anyone say it did with a straight face.

Mahjik (08-21-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip on checking manually - was able to confirm that one side of mine (V6S) is seized. Anyway to try and fix it or just take to the dealership?

Old 11-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tehhippy
Thanks for the tip on checking manually - was able to confirm that one side of mine (V6S) is seized. Anyway to try and fix it or just take to the dealership?
If under warranty, take it to the dealer. Otherwise, you can try to loosen it up with some high temperature lubricant, but that has had limited success for forum members. The ultimate solution is a new OEM muffler or an aftermarket muffler with replaceable valves (eg. the VAP Valvetronic).

Old 11-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If under warranty, take it to the dealer. Otherwise, you can try to loosen it up with some high temperature lubricant, but that has had limited success for forum members. The ultimate solution is a new OEM muffler or an aftermarket muffler with replaceable valves (eg. the VAP Valvetronic).
Thanks. Dealer it is.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:55 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Pull the fuse.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

I realise my comment won't add to the member's exhaust valve being fixed, nevertheless I am amazed at how many replacement exhaust have been fitted.
It would seem to suggest a large number of faulty replacement exhausts or it wasn't a faulty exhaust valve as one person stated.

Are the active exhaust valves significantly different on the V6 ?

My V8 exhaust valve still working without any problems, four years old, 46000 miles, driven in all weathers including exposed to road salt in winter .

Old 11-25-2019, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I would look for other explanations as to why valves keep malfunctioning. One possible reason is that OP's car is putting out more soot that normal, possibly due to an oil burning, and this is damaging the valves.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

the inside of an exhaust system is a relatively dirty place - I'm not the least bit surprised that these valves fail.......kinda reminds me of the sooted up VGT's on our EGR equpped turbo diesels. As Lance said the best long term solution would appear to be the VAP exhaust....

2 cents, carry on.
Dave

Old 11-25-2019, 10:33 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I think they’re poorly designed - another member indicated Jag added bearings in later years for the valves. I suspect it’s just to much opening/closing. With my valves enabled, I can hear them constantly opening/closing at idle. V8 may behave differently in that regard.

Quick Reply: broken Active exhaust. Valve stuck closed