Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Sun Shade on Panoramic Roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Sun Shade on Panoramic Roof

Hey Jag Fans,
I have a 2016 F-Type S with a manual trans.
My sunshade on the panoramic roof got stuck. In an effort to "unstick" it....a part of the assembly on the passengers side snapped. The cloth is now loose.
Has this happened to anyone?
Has anyone dismantled the headliner to access the mechanism?
Is there a fix for the mechanism....or, must it be replaced?
TYVM
Dave

Old 05-10-2022, 07:40 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Your in trouble Dave
it sounds like you may have snapped off the plastic guide/runner that moves back and forward in the fore-after channel for the blind where it attaches to the crossbar of the shadeblind
probably a $2 part but no idea if you can order it separately or if you have to order the whole assembly. If you have stretched the blind that will need replacing as well.Hopefully your blind sag is just the laxity from the broken connector
Replacing it probably means either combination of removing the pano roof , dropping the headliner after removing one side back windows and seats to access the area needed
so many hours of labour for a trivial repair
Best contact your dealer for a quote

Hint for all others with sticky blinds, Dont close them 100%,close them 90-95%.When you want to open them push the blind forward the last 5% before pushing backwards as it creates tension in the blind system which allows for easier opening

Old 05-10-2022, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Ahhh, yes mine get's stuck if I close it fully, so I leave it with about a fingertip width left to go, then do as Borbor suggests. But I didnt realise it would be such a production to fix.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:39 AM
Received 377 Likes on 174 Posts

Mine sticks all the time. Hot Florida Weather and age. I have spray some silicone into the tracks and around the lip of the sunscreen to ensure it stays lubricated, but still has not prevented this from sticking. I just know that I need to be ever so careful when I open mine, to prevent what happened to the OP on this thread. In my opinion, I hate these types of shades. The other option would be to leave it complete retracted all the time. Some may not like this others may.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:42 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a very low mileage 2016 R model and mine sticks. It seems to crinkle the fabric on the right side when I have to somewhat force it open. I do what they said above and try to remember not to close it all the way. Let us know what the ultimate fix is and if it is as much of a pain as it appears for such a simple thing.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I have a very low mileage 2016 R model and mine sticks. It seems to crinkle the fabric on the right side when I have to somewhat force it open. I do what they said above and try to remember not to close it all the way. Let us know what the ultimate fix is and if it is as much of a pain as it appears for such a simple thing.
So funny enough, this thread got me thinking, what can I do to fix this permanently. I decided to take some felt tape and place two small pieces on both the right and left side of the plastic piece that normally sticks. Seeing as if you slide your fingers into the far left and far right, it will unstick and slide back. I'll need to let it sit now that these are installed, but I get a sense this will help it not stick any longer. I will report back in a couple of days once I have had time for it to sit for a complete of days

Old 05-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
So funny enough, this thread got me thinking, what can I do to fix this permanently. I decided to take some felt tape and place two small pieces on both the right and left side of the plastic piece that normally sticks. Seeing as if you slide your fingers into the far left and far right, it will unstick and slide back. I'll need to let it sit now that these are installed, but I get a sense this will help it not stick any longer. I will report back in a couple of days once I have had time for it to sit for a complete of days
Let us know how it works out. I am hoping mine doesn't get stuck in the meantime. I have an extended warranty but would rather not mess with that route if I don't need to.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
Let us know how it works out. I am hoping mine doesn't get stuck in the meantime. I have an extended warranty but would rather not mess with that route if I don't need to.
I think I figured out the issue, which is pretty exciting. So if you open your sunshade and feel inside on the front most lip where the plastic part of the sunshade itself closes into the rest of the headliner, there is a rubber piece that runs the entire length that the plastic piece connected to the sunshade rests onto when closed. Well in my case, that rubber piece is very tacky and I am almost sure, where the sunshade plastic handle/end gets snagged. I took some of that felt tape and ran it the entire length of the rubber strip. So now instead of the plastic sticking the the rubber, it rests on the felt. So far, so good.

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (05-18-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 06:58 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

The panoroof shade on my 2018 stuck as described by others here but seemed to do so only when the weather was warm, the windows down and speed was above 45 MPH. I tried white lithium grease on the rails to no avail and brought the matter to the attention of my dealer's service department a few times, always with the "not able to replicate the issue" result. I simply avoided attempting to force the shade in order to exacerbate the problem.
I haven't had the 2022 long enough to see if the same issue exists with it.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:11 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Thank you for sharing your solution to this common issue. My shade stuck once and I was able to free it by pushing up on the front right side of shade. Is their any way to take some photos of your solution? It would be very much appreciated. Cheers Frank

jcb-memphis (05-12-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

My 2016 R sunshade was sticking. Dealer replaced it while it was still under warranty. If under warranty take your car in for replacement. I have a fixed roof on my '18 so no longer an issue, but I do miss the glass roof at times.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:46 AM
Received 424 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
My 2016 R sunshade was sticking. Dealer replaced it while it was still under warranty. If under warranty take your car in for replacement. I have a fixed roof on my '18 so no longer an issue, but I do miss the glass roof at times.
I see from your post that the sticking sunshade has been an issue since at least 2016. The one on my 2018 stuck under certain circumstances that I learned to live with...since the dealer offered no help. I just had the opportunity to replicate the circumstances in my 2022, and lo and behold, it too sticks. This makes me sad, not because it sticks, but because Jaguar has obviously ignored the problem for at least six years.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:00 PM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

'Kay... I have to admit that I'm both interested and confused by this thread.

The design of this pano slider seems like a pretty straightforward Tambour door, where the ends of the slider (as well as the fabric) fit inside the tracks. And there's a pair of buttons/cushions/stops that prevent the slider from going beyond the track ends when fully closed.

So, forgive me if the answers seem obvious, but I think I'm gonna pose these questions for my own clarification. Thanks in advance...

1) Exactly where is the sun shade sticking? Fully open? Fully closed? Or, if partial, how far back from fully closed?

2) Is it the slider that seems to be the problem? e.g. too long and rubs against the bottom of track, or too short and allows the slider to rack from side to side?

3) Are the stops still attached? e.g. one or the other glider at the ends of the slider gets all the way to the end of track. On both sides of my car, the tracks are a bit proud of the seating, and can see where this might be a problem if the slider goes too far forward. Or, if only one stop is missing, that could cause the slider to rack.

4) Could the track itself be the problem? e.g. comes loose in one or more places and no longer is the 'optimum' width for the slider?

5) Or it the problem with the fabric? e.g. too short (i.e. narrow) and comes out of the track and tangles the slider?

6) Does this only happen when the window(s) open? e.g. too much pressure on the fabric?

This has never happened to my MY21, but then again, I've only had the car a few months, and I generally don't drive with the windows open when the outside temp is only 45 degrees. Still, I'm very curious as to how/why/if skizot's solutions works.

Old 05-18-2022, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by theEIger
'Kay... I have to admit that I'm both interested and confused by this thread.

The design of this pano slider seems like a pretty straightforward Tambour door, where the ends of the slider (as well as the fabric) fit inside the tracks. And there's a pair of buttons/cushions/stops that prevent the slider from going beyond the track ends when fully closed.

So, forgive me if the answers seem obvious, but I think I'm gonna pose these questions for my own clarification. Thanks in advance...

1) Exactly where is the sun shade sticking? Fully open? Fully closed? Or, if partial, how far back from fully closed?

2) Is it the slider that seems to be the problem? e.g. too long and rubs against the bottom of track, or too short and allows the slider to rack from side to side?

3) Are the stops still attached? e.g. one or the other glider at the ends of the slider gets all the way to the end of track. On both sides of my car, the tracks are a bit proud of the seating, and can see where this might be a problem if the slider goes too far forward. Or, if only one stop is missing, that could cause the slider to rack.

4) Could the track itself be the problem? e.g. comes loose in one or more places and no longer is the 'optimum' width for the slider?

5) Or it the problem with the fabric? e.g. too short (i.e. narrow) and comes out of the track and tangles the slider?

6) Does this only happen when the window(s) open? e.g. too much pressure on the fabric?

This has never happened to my MY21, but then again, I've only had the car a few months, and I generally don't drive with the windows open when the outside temp is only 45 degrees. Still, I'm very curious as to how/why/if skizot's solutions works.
1.) fully closed in my experience
2-4.) Sliders seems to be fine, once it "unsticks", seems to me it sticks when the front plastic piece of sunshade hits the rubber track that sits along the entire length sunshade opening.
5.) Fabric seems fine
6.) Does not matter.

My experience so far has been, now that I have the felt strip, it does not stick when trying to open. YMMV.

Old 05-18-2022, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

I would say:
1. not necessarily when fully closed. It also sticks when mainly closed. It is just that it is harder to deal with when fully closed;
2 - 4. because the material sags if you try to push it back when it is sticking (as opposed to pushing it forward to unstick it first), I think it is possibly the tension mechanism in the roller (just a wild guess). A bit like the old fashioned roller blinds that our mums used to have on the kitchen window. Maybe there is more than one cause.

I would add that some people have found it was worse in winter though I think I found it worse in summer, but then I leave the blind open in winter and mainly closed in summer (opening at night or rainy days), so I dont know that we can make much of that.

Actually I am only assuming there is a roller there, might try skizot's fix...just fiddling with it this morning, I think the place it most likely gets stuck is at or just behind the top of the curve, about a hand span behind the front of the opening.

Last edited by BruceTheQuail; 05-18-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:07 PM

Skizot - any chance you could post a photo of where you taped please. thanks

JgaXkr (05-19-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Borbor
Skizot - any chance you could post a photo of where you taped please. thanks
On the inside of the headliner, feel in this general area (see blue highlights), you will feel a rubber strip, I laid the felt strip the entire length of that rubber piece.

BruceTheQuail (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers. Mine doesnt get stuck just there, it gets stuck even if it is 2 or 3 inches back

Old 05-23-2022, 07:16 PM

thanks for the photo but agree with Bruce that for most of us that is not the sticking point. Glad it worked for you
Actual area on mine is where the OP broke his piece, just behind the cross beam on the side.
I posted in another thread that i believe the sticking is actually due to the blind bunching up as it is being pushed backwards. As it concertinas back on itself it , the creases it forms widens from top to bottom jamming in the rail. Normal it would slide back without concertining .
Hence leaving a gap when closing and then pulling it forward before opening gets rid of the creases before sliding backwards. May be possible to stiffen the blind in this region with some tape somehow but haven't tried it

Old 05-24-2022, 04:46 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Sather
Hey Jag Fans,
I have a 2016 F-Type S with a manual trans.
My sunshade on the panoramic roof got stuck. In an effort to "unstick" it....a part of the assembly on the passengers side snapped. The cloth is now loose.
Has this happened to anyone?
Has anyone dismantled the headliner to access the mechanism?
Is there a fix for the mechanism....or, must it be replaced?
TYVM
Dave
Hey Dave,

Yes happened to me too. Here is some other reading. Long story short, the headliner has to come out and to do that you have to remove the side window.https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...y-help-234569/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-stuck-188749/