F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build your 2016 F-Type on jaguarusa.com

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:10 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Also noted that In Control Apps is now standard on all 2016 models, and so too is the premium Meridian sound system.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am really disappointed the V8-R Converitble is not available in RWD only. I hope there is a setting to deactivate AWD when wanted. If I want to burn rubber, i Want to F***ing burn rubber! 0-60 is not what I was looking for when I became interested the F-type. American cars are the 0-60 kings. I want something that not only looks great, but gives a driving feel unique to Jaguar. IMO AWD just standardizes ride feeling. Its a 0-60 war, I want driving dynamics. And then they got rid of the rims I wanted (the black ones with three bolts in between each spokes).

Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

There's another new thread with a clip featuring the Jaguar Chief Engineer discussing the AWD system. It's all electronically controlled and distributes power according to road conditions. On dry pavement, it's 100% rear wheel drive, which he claims will allow one to continue to enjoy the RWD character of the car. However, when traction begins to be lost, the system redistributes power to the front according to need.

There appears to be no switch to turn it off, otherwise I think he would have made mention of it. He went to great lengths to explain it will still maintain the "fun factor" of RWD.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's interesting about the active exhaust on the base car.

A number of us base owners without active exhaust are convinced that the std exhaust is much louder than active exhaust cars with valves closed. In my experience, the std. is one of the loudest OEM exhausts on the road.
On further examination, looks like active exhaust IS available (standard even) on the BASE with MANUAL transmission.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
On further examination, looks like active exhaust IS available (standard even) on the BASE with MANUAL transmission.
Thanks, noticed that this morning on the other thread dealing with the new variants, where the ordering guide was posted. What's interesting to me is that the std '14 sport exhaust sounded louder than the V6S I drove with the valves closed and about the same when opened at WOT. That was another reason I went with the base car and couldn't be more happy with it.

I'm wondering if that was a "dirty little secret" that the marketing folks didn't want getting out.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks, noticed that this morning on the other thread dealing with the new variants, where the ordering guide was posted. What's interesting to me is that the std '14 sport exhaust sounded louder than the V6S I drove with the valves closed and about the same when opened at WOT. That was another reason I went with the base car and couldn't be more happy with it.

I'm wondering if that was a "dirty little secret" that the marketing folks didn't want getting out.
Certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least. A common sales tactic is to steer customers to the middle of 3 options (Sir, you really don't want the low spec base car now do you - it lacks the power, dynamics and awesome exhaust of the other cars and its really, you know, for girls..., and Sir, the V8 really is too much for everyday driving - more of a track car, so why pay extra for power you're not going to use? Now, in what color would you like your 'V6 S'?)

Should I find myself in the position to order one of these cars, I think the base would be more than sufficient. Personally, I also have an aversion to 'gizmos and gadgets' that either end up being never used, or the reliability and/or cost of eventual repair far exceeds the benefit...

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

We appear to have a very similar approach to such decisions. I honestly could not see that I was getting $1K worth of difference for the extra $20K they wanted.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 859 Posts

Certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least. A common sales tactic is to steer customers to the middle of 3 options (Sir, you really don't want the low spec base car now do you - it lacks the power, dynamics and awesome exhaust of the other cars and its really, you know, for girls..., and Sir, the V8 really is too much for everyday driving - more of a track car, so why pay extra for power you're not going to use? Now, in what color would you like your 'V6 S'?)

Should I find myself in the position to order one of these cars, I think the base would be more than sufficient. Personally, I also have an aversion to 'gizmos and gadgets' that either end up being never used, or the reliability and/or cost of eventual repair far exceeds the benefit...
On the drive to work this morning, with my wife, I was telling her about the new AWD (and both of us agreeing that we - I - have no intention to driving in winter AND that "true" sports cars are RWD; gotta love my wife).

The other thing, when it comes to models and options - IN MY CASE - the choice was easy! My dealer had two cars - one R and one S - and made me a offer I couldn't refuse (even though the S had more options that I ever intended on getting; which I suppose I should add, I'm happy to have). Even my wife said, it was easy.

Needless to say I am delighted with my "middle" option and will not look back (or forward).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-20-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

I probably would have done the same thing given your options, RJ. In my case, the perfect color base car was just sitting there with nothing more than the climate pack, satellite radio, and optional light grey top. My dealer had all V6 and V8 models in stock, both coupe and convertible, and it was also an easy choice.

I'm really not the ordering type anymore, having been through the experience of a custom-ordered M3 and C6 Z06. I wanted instant gratification and a great summer. Moreover, far better deals can almost always be had on cars sitting in inventory.

RickyJay52 (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 11:31 AM

FWIW, I stand confused...the UK 2016 Brochure refers to the base exhaust as 'Active Sports Exhaust' as opposed to the 'S' Switchable Active Sports Exhaust... so maybe the base just doesn't get the switch? Or the UK is different...or something...

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/Images/13400...m91-140454.pdf

Old 11-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

FWIW, I stand confused...the UK 2016 Brochure refers to the base exhaust as 'Active Sports Exhaust' as opposed to the 'S' Switchable Active Sports Exhaust... so maybe the base just doesn't get the switch? Or the UK is different...or something...

http://www.jaguar.co.uk/Images/13400...m91-140454.pdf
According to the ordering guide, switchable active exhaust is standard on the manual base and still an option on the auto.

Attached Thumbnails Build your 2016 F-Type on jaguarusa.com-2016-f-type-order-guide-1.jpg  
mshedden (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM

According to the ordering guide, switchable active exhaust is standard on the manual base and still an option on the auto.
Yes, indeed.

The 2016 US configurator may be either incomplete, or different from the UK one - painted coupe roof shows as an option in the UK, not so in the US. But I obsess....

Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, indeed.

The 2016 US configurator may be either incomplete, or different from the UK one - painted coupe roof shows as an option in the UK, not so in the US. But I obsess....
Why would I not be surprised by that? According to our UK forum friend, F-Typical, he reports that the UK configurator is still showing available RWD R's in both coupe and convertible.

There's something that doesn't make sense in the U.S. order sheet and web configurator because they only list 12 configurations. However, the press release from LA yesterday said there would now be 14 available configurations. What that tells me is that the RWD versions may still be available. Stay tuned . . .

Old 11-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would I not be surprised by that? According to our UK forum friend, F-Typical, he reports that the UK configurator is still showing available RWD R's in both coupe and convertible.

There's something that doesn't make sense in the U.S. order sheet and web configurator because they only list 12 configurations. However, the press release from LA yesterday said there would now be 14 available configurations. What that tells me is that the RWD versions may still be available. Stay tuned . . .
Im hope it is, but going off the "Standard Features" of the 2016 Conv R, it says intelligent AWD, which means its on all R's standard, not as an option.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

I know. Stay tuned.

The mystery is why do they only list 12 configurations on the order sheet and Jaguar U.S. website configurator showing them not available, but they announce 14 configurations at the LA Auto Show, and the UK configurator shows RWD available on the Rs?

It's quite possible that the rush to post this stuff yesterday led to some oversights. It's also possible that they've decided not to offer RWD Rs in the U.S.

undfeatable (11-20-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Or, that JLR US gathered feedback from their dealer network on what customers wanted.

Which suggests that the demand for "features" has won out over the driving experience in the US.