F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bulkhead/firewall crack

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry mpowerr I really can't agree with you. You would really need to work hard to engineer an item that badly. The part looks broken. That isn't good engineering at any price point. You wouldn't see a part like that on a cheap ford

The following users liked this post:
Geo3 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I LOOKED at a brand new f and they're there on all. That is actually overlapped panels and when doing things that require those to be removed like back spark plugs, injectors etc you have to remove the engine compartment and brake booster well liners which is what they are. it looked cracked but they're made that way. Look closer and you will see the over lapped panels with foam between them to make sure they're not a source of a squeak or rattle. but as with so many things until someone says something about it you never notice.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

That whole piece looks like it was handmade with a portable jig saw. Doen't look like it came anywhere close to a mold during the production process. This is the sort of thing that Ferrari used to do a few decades ago.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That whole piece looks like it was handmade with a portable jig saw. Doen't look like it came anywhere close to a mold during the production process. This is the sort of thing that Ferrari used to do a few decades ago.
Hey now! It was good enough for Tom Selleck........

That could be Jags new catch phrase "Better than a clapped out 308 GTS"

Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Jaguar is a small car company competing at a relatively low price point for its size. You aren't going to get perfect components everywhere in the vehicle. They have less manpower, less budget, and less sales volume than everyone else in their segment. I'm honestly shocked they did this good of a job, and I think everyone should give them a break for making a shitty looking part hidden where you can see it. Clearly its doing its job just fine and if that's what Jaguar needs to do to make a vehicle like this profitable, so be it!

Why doesn't everyone bicker about the real problem... Jaguar's garbage customer service.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Jaguar is a small car company competing at a relatively low price point for its size. You aren't going to get perfect components everywhere in the vehicle. They have less manpower, less budget, and less sales volume than everyone else in their segment. I'm honestly shocked they did this good of a job, and I think everyone should give them a break for making a shitty looking part hidden where you can see it. Clearly its doing its job just fine and if that's what Jaguar needs to do to make a vehicle like this profitable, so be it!
I agree with you. I might have been perturbed if you could see it after casually opening the bonnet, but this thing is hidden under a panel that requires the removal of 4 thumbnuts.

Why doesn't everyone bicker about the real problem... Jaguar's garbage customer service.
Having been hit with the bad clutch design and the flawed fuel filler neck, my experience with customer service has been stellar. Of course all of that is due to dealer, and I have to believe that the poor customer service received by others is mostly due to the poor practices of their dealerships. That said, I have to admit that JLR really bungled the handling of the Meridian issue and should have been more proactive in coming to a resolution.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Having been hit with the bad clutch design and the flawed fuel filler neck, my experience with customer service has been stellar. Of course all of that is due to dealer, and I have to believe that the poor customer service received by others is mostly due to the poor practices of their dealerships. That said, I have to admit that JLR really bungled the handling of the Meridian issue and should have been more proactive in coming to a resolution.
I'm referring specifically to Jaguar NA, not their dealership network. My dealer has been great, and each dealer will obviously vary. Jaguar itself is the problem.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniet
Sorry mpowerr I really can't agree with you. You would really need to work hard to engineer an item that badly. The part looks broken. That isn't good engineering at any price point. You wouldn't see a part like that on a cheap ford
You did not read or understand my comments at all, I did not justify the fit and finish of that item, actually the opposite.
Stohlen did.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

This is reasonable and I can mostly agree.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

That whole piece looks like it was handmade with a portable jig saw. Doen't look like it came anywhere close to a mold during the production process.
That seam is a classic sign of CAD engineering. The liners were positioned and shaped by the surrounding components, clearances, etc, and then someone added an overlap seam to allow them to be removable and that little projection on the top face was either left to aid with the moulding process or simply ignored because the clearance gap was technically correct.

I quite like seeing things like that when they don't detract from the finished product. It's like seeing pin marks on handmade furniture - it gives you an insight into how it was made and a brief connection to the person who spent hours rotating that part around in CAD checking each parameter was to spec!

Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave
- it gives you an insight into how it was made and a brief connection to the person who spent hours rotating that part around in CAD checking each parameter was to spec!
Nawww...that wasn't happening when I was using a T-square and a French curve.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Again; sooooo happy that the car is so good that something this trivial even justifies a thread to b*tch about it. :-)

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Nawww...that wasn't happening when I was using a T-square and a French curve.
Dating yourself.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Dating yourself.
...and I thought he was talking about his mistress(es)....

Old 03-15-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Dating yourself.
Originally Posted by amr42
...and I thought he was talking about his mistress(es)....

Damned whippersnappers!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Damned whippersnappers!
You forgot to add "dagnabbit"

Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
You forgot to add "dagnabbit"
Yes, thank you. That would have made my point even more convincing.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
That seam is a classic sign of CAD engineering. The liners were positioned and shaped by the surrounding components, clearances, etc, and then someone added an overlap seam to allow them to be removable and that little projection on the top face was either left to aid with the moulding process or simply ignored because the clearance gap was technically correct.

I quite like seeing things like that when they don't detract from the finished product. It's like seeing pin marks on handmade furniture - it gives you an insight into how it was made and a brief connection to the person who spent hours rotating that part around in CAD checking each parameter was to spec!
They still use CAD in the auto industry?