F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper to Hood Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 01:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bumper to Hood Alignment

I found a copy of the Front End Panel Alignment TSB JTB00399NAS1. Either I'm not seeing the section for the alignment I need or I'm not understanding how what's in the TSB will help. All the other alignments, including the same one on the other side are perfect. It's just this one I'd like to address. It's like that corner of the bumper needs to go down, but that would mess up the gap between the bumper and the light. I also only see a front to back adjustment for the bumper which wouldn't help.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

The left side front of the hood needs to go up a fair bit and the bumper needs to go down a little, but with the mismatch you have I doubt it can be made "perfect".
To raise the left front of the hood you wind the nearest "stopper" out a little - a black hex shaped thingy about 1" wide under the edge of the hood.
Try about two turns first then test, rinse and repeat.
For the bumper you can play around with the two 10 mm bolts right under the top edge, they allow a little adjustment but not much.
You may also need to reposition the top of the bumper fore or aft on the left side, if so loosen off the three (of six) left side 10 mm bolts across the top of the bumper (under the edge of the hood) enough so you can nudge the bumper in or out, then hold it tight in the new position while you do those three bolts up again.
Last but least you can move the hood back or forward or left or right via the four large hinge bracket nuts each side, again just loosen, adjust then tighten. Not easy on your lonesome and much easier with a helper.
As you can see there are many possible adjustments, each one can throw other(s) out, it really is trial and error so make little adjustments each time then double check the fit all around.

The following users liked this post:
peppersam740 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 06:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a much better picture I grabbed before I left for work. If I brought up the hood, wouldn't that mess up the other gap that seems to be fine to me.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007
This is a much better picture I grabbed before I left for work. If I brought up the hood, wouldn't that mess up the other gap that seems to be fine to me.

Yes it would but not as much as dropping the bumper would create other poor fit problems.
Yours is so far out that you are never going to get anywhere near "perfect" fit and alignment in that area.
Part of the problem and it's the same on mine is the front wheel arch end of the hood is quite a lot wider than the top rear corner of the bumper (ie where they meet) so you are never going to get that join looking right except maybe with panel work and a repaint. From all the pics I have seen JLR eventually picked up on this and on later models altered the curve of that part of the hood to reduce the mismatch.
As I said the best you can do is fiddle with some adjustments until you find the best compromise.