F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted: No front plate & tint...the conclusion.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Your car would look better if you re did the rest of the car in 35% for a more uniform look.
Completely disagree.
I have 3M crystalline all the way around.
40% on each side.
50% over the top (pano roof and rear hatch).
70% on windshield.

Regardless of the viewing angle, you can't tell the difference.
It bears noting that visually evaluating the opacity of any tint with the naked eye requires that you: a) be able to see all the way through opposing sides of the car in daylight, or b) have a very light colored interior. Very, very difficult to visually assess tint opacity when looking into and directly at a dark interior as the background.

With the F-Type, it is nearly impossible to see all the way through both the side glass and the rear glass from one single vantage point.
And when looking into the car through the windshield, if your looking straight through out the rear window, you can't also see the side glass at the same time. And if looking through the windshield at an 3/4 angle where you are looking out the side glass, the windshield takes on the appearance of the side glass because it's darker.

Last edited by IronMike; 07-03-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:43 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

One thing that people who do illegal mods often don't think about is that your insurance company might deny a claim if your car has illegal,mods and is involved in an accident.

I know a guy who wrote off a brand new BMW M5, and because he had illegal aftermarket wheels in it at the time of the accident the Insurance company denied the whole claim. Guy was left with a 5 year finance package to payoff and no car to show for it. Just lucky he didn't hit someone else and have to pay for that as well.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Talking Update...

Got the 35% back on the fronts this week,same as all my other cars have been since 1997 and although my phone makes them appear dark,it's really light compared to the 18% on the rest of the car and I really don't see any issues with it.

I see far darker tint on cars every day around here...like 5% all around.

The following users liked this post:
allenman85 (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Do you drive around with the windows rolled down with your head out the window when you drive at night? I had to remove the tint on a used car I bought because it was like driving a panel van with no door windows at night.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Got the 35% back on the fronts this week,same as all my other cars have been since 1997 and although my phone makes them appear dark,it's really light compared to the 18% on the rest of the car and I really don't see any issues with it.

Where did you get the tint work done and what brand/style of tint did you put on it?

Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Do you drive around with the windows rolled down with your head out the window when you drive at night? I had to remove the tint on a used car I bought because it was like driving a panel van with no door windows at night...
If you go back and look at my original tint thread,I stated there that I don't drive the car at night and I haven't yet in 9 months of ownership.

That being said,it wasn't terrible but you're right,probably wasn't wise to go that dark on the sides...but I see it every day,and darker.

Merlin,
My guy is right here in Marina and has done all my cars since I started having them tinted. He is very detail oriented and I've never had an issue with any of my cars,and I've held some for 10 yrs +.
He uses 3M products exclusively.

If you want,PM me and I'll get you his info. The prices are very reasonable and I dare say his work is the best.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If you go back and look at my original tint thread,I stated there that I don't drive the car at night and I haven't yet in 9 months of ownership.
I get it. I loved the tint on a hot summer day. Certainly no issue in daylight.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

I always go 35% on all my cars and it's never been an issue and I would have done that with this car but since everything was black against an absolute white...I tempted fate and went darker than I should have.

In the end,this was for the better (in terms of if I ever did drive it at night) and the license plate bust at the same time...well we all know how well that turned out.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah. I often see people texting and driving. Idiots are unfortunately too common.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Do you drive around with the windows rolled down with your head out the window when you drive at night? I had to remove the tint on a used car I bought because it was like driving a panel van with no door windows at night.
I think from his previous posts, he both thinks you can drive at night with these tints, but also that he himself doesn't drive at night. But since saying you drive at night with sunglasses on is akin to saying you think you can drink and drive just fine, he instead says he doesn't drive at night.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 07-10-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
One thing that people who do illegal mods often don't think about is that your insurance company might deny a claim if your car has illegal,mods and is involved in an accident.

I know a guy who wrote off a brand new BMW M5, and because he had illegal aftermarket wheels in it at the time of the accident the Insurance company denied the whole claim. Guy was left with a 5 year finance package to payoff and no car to show for it. Just lucky he didn't hit someone else and have to pay for that as well.
That has to be exaggerated to an extent. "Illegal aftermarket wheels"?

There is no way your insurance would deny your claim for aftermarket wheels.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

He's talking about a case in Australia. Auto insurance policies in other countries are not necessarily what we're used to.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Spacers, for example, are illegal in Australia.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
He's talking about a case in Australia. Auto insurance policies in other countries are not necessarily what we're used to.
Agree it is is highly unlikely an insurance company would deny a claim because of tint.

Generally they pay out claims on DUI accidents, so a tint accident is not that different.

Auto policy coverage language is designed to cover unintentional damage - so the debate would be whether your accident was a result of an intentional action. In DUI cases, they would say that even if you intended to drink and drive, you didn't intend to crash. Same principle applies to speed related accidents. Same case would be applied to tint - nobody applies a 5% tint with the deliberate intent to crash. So by that logic it is an unintentional accident, even if it was a result of neglect.

I do think there is language on mods in most policies which is why they ask you to declare mods. But tints aren't what they are looking for. They are looking for stuff which overrides safety systems - e.g. an ECU which replaces traction control, a steering wheel without an airbag, removal of the front bumper cross beam for cosmetic reasons. These things raise the risk of injury - and so in the event of a personal injury claim, there would be a legitimate debate in these incidents.

But with tint - insurance company isn't the problem. It's more a matter of personal taste on where you take your risks.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 07-11-2015 at 12:30 PM.