F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2017 F Type Base? Might be worth waiting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

By the time you are done adding all of the options you really want on the car (because let's face it, it's a luxury sports car) you are going to be in the 75k range. The reduced base price is a perceived value that's merely designed to attract new buyers who may think that the F-Type is unattainable for their budget... it's Marketing 101. I doubt they are going to sell many cars with these few options.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (11-15-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
By the time you are done adding all of the options you really want on the car (because let's face it, it's a luxury sports car) you are going to be in the 75k range. The reduced base price is a perceived value that's merely designed to attract new buyers who may think that the F-Type is unattainable for their budget... it's Marketing 101. I doubt they are going to sell many cars with these few options.
According to the GM at my dealership, your doubts are unfounded. Lately, he's been ordering only base F-Types for his inventory with few or no options because he says that's the best-selling model and the one with the best resale value. They now have 10 such cars in stock, with no S or R models.

He used to order mostly S and R models, but they sat for a long time, yet he always sold his base cars relatively quickly. This is the same dealer that just delivered a Project 7, which was chronicled here, but, of course, that was a special order.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
According to the GM at my dealership, your doubts are unfounded. Lately, he's been ordering only base F-Types for his inventory with few or no options because he says that's the best-selling model and the one with the best resale value. They now have 10 such cars in stock, with no S or R models.

He used to order mostly S and R models, but they sat for a long time, yet he always sold his base cars relatively quickly. This is the same dealer that just delivered a Project 7, which was chronicled here, but, of course, that was a special order.
Interesting, because the average price of a base on Car Gurus is about 75k,meaning that most dealers have been ordering higher optioned cars.

Why would a dealer order a bare-bones car for their lot and down-sell? If I was in that position, I would reserve the lower optioned car for a last resort, special order and be sure to quote it at full retail in hopes of upselling the consumer to the higher priced car off the lot (even if at a slight discount off MSRP) and ultimately enhance my overall profit.

Last edited by MI-FType; 11-13-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default 2017 F-Type base slashed by $3600, manual still an option...

http://www.cnet.com/news/jaguar-f-type-sports-car-price-cut/

Cheers to more in the club.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, because the average price of a base on Car Gurus is about 75k,meaning that most dealers have been ordering higher optioned cars.

Why would a dealer order a bare-bones car for their lot and down-sell? If I was in that position, I would reserve the lower optioned car for a last resort, special order and be sure to quote it at full retail in hopes of upselling the consumer to the higher priced car off the lot (even if at a slight discount off MSRP) and ultimately enhance my overall profit.
I suppose they do it because that formula is working best for them given the way JLR compensates their retailers, which I think has more to do with units moved than it does average sales price. They also do it because that's the F-Type model that sells best for them.

Annapolis JLR is a very successful dealership owned by the Penske group and located in a state with the #1 median household income in the US, 30 miles from Virginia, and Wash, DC which are also in the top 5.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

+1

Old 11-14-2015, 06:47 AM

...located in a state with the #1 median household income in the US, 30 miles from Virginia, and Wash, DC which are also in the top 5.

Yet, another reason why one would think they shouldn't have to down sell ... being in an area like that you would think that they would be selling more vehicles at the higher end of the range. Unless back to my point, they draw consumers in with the lower base then upsell them. They could have less high end models on the lot because they reserve some of their allocation for special order, higher end cars models. Then, not discounting them / discounting less than they would a car off the lot that may not be the perfect combination a customer wants.

I do understand your comment as it speaks to sales volume in relation to allocation. Ultimately though the highest profit margin lies in the premium models.

I assume the will probably be little room for negotiation on a bare-bones base model car.

Last edited by MI-FType; 11-14-2015 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Afterthought.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

EDIT: I see now that 2 threads were merged into one.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-14-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Question Answered
Old 11-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Yet, another reason why one would think they shouldn't have to down sell ... being in an area like that you would think that they would be selling more vehicles at the higher end of the range. Unless back to my point, they draw consumers in with the lower base then upsell them. They could have less high end models on the lot because they reserve some of their allocation for special order, higher end cars models. Then, not discounting them / discounting less than they would a car off the lot that may not be the perfect combination a customer wants.

I do understand your comment as it speaks to sales volume in relation to allocation. Ultimately though the highest profit margin lies in the premium models.

I assume the will probably be little room for negotiation on a bare-bones base model car.
I understand your point in theory. However, if those high-end models aren't moving, there is no higher profit margin.

I've been watching this dealer's inventory for more than 2 years now, and saw it shift from S and Rs in the beginning to all base models today. I've seen the higher-end models sitting for long periods of time.

I've gotten friendly with the GM so I asked him about it, and he simply said, lower-end, base F-Types sell much better. There isn't a huge market for high-dollar 2-seaters since they are considered by many as "toys." On the other hand, people are willing to pay more for an expensive car that can be justified as "practical." He moves boatloads of six-figure Range Rovers.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:21 AM

There isn't a huge market for high-dollar 2-seaters since they are considered by many as "toys."

True that... though I do love my toy!!!

Buckingham (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I am sort of joking, but selling this car without the Vision pack is dangerous, and should be illegal. LOL

I got the base v6 but factory built and ordered, with all my options, ended up late $80's =)

Your post is spot on... the car is easily the greatest *value* of any high end sports car, and it's entry price is *just* close enough it may be attainable for some enthusiasts that otherwise would stare at Astons or Porsches all day.

Dropping that few grand in price will only appear in the places people are already looking at cars, and *really* plant that seed. It's an incredibly smart move, but 101 like you said.

MI-FType (11-16-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

The vision package is completely unnecessary with the convertibles. I can agree for the coupes.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Buckingham
The vision package is completely unnecessary with the convertibles. I can agree for the coupes.
I agree. I see absolutely no need for it in the convertible. I've been doing just fine for 1-1/2 years and never been in a situation where I felt like I needed it.

I also think they will sell a lot of the "stripped-down" base models. Car forums generally aren't representative of the car buying public, at large. Enthusiasts frequent the forums, and being "car crazy," they tend to spring for more options and spend more money in general on all things related to their "disease." I'm certainly afflicted as well, but I'm also a big fan of simplicity and carrying around as little weight as possible for things that really don't enhance my pure driving enjoyment.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-15-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Buckingham (11-15-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My observation out west is that the R coup is the best seller. Having said that my dealers stock is split between base and S now when he never had much base in stock. His R's don't last long and all of his R conv. have been pre sold. Probably Jag wants more units sold and that low advertised lease is always on a base.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
My observation out west is that the R coup is the best seller. Having said that my dealers stock is split between base and S now when he never had much base in stock. His R's don't last long and all of his R conv. have been pre sold. Probably Jag wants more units sold and that low advertised lease is always on a base.
Again, I think judging numbers from this forum is misleading for reasons I stated above. I don't see many Rs in dealer stock anymore, but there were many more when the R-Coupe first appeared. I'd bet the V6 outsells the V8 by a very wide margin nationwide.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

More info on the new base model (from a JNA bulletin given to me by my sales associate):

included - 770W meridian, GPS, SXM, InControl, sport seats

differences compared to F-TYPE PREMIUM (last year's base):

1. fixed metal roof (no panoramic option)
2. no driver memory for seat, steering column, or mirrors
3. manual folding mirrors
4. 6-way partial electric seat (as opposed to 14-way full electric)
5. no keyless entry, adaptive headlights, or auto-high beam

Options:

1. climate pack (heated seats and wheel)
2. interior is jet/jet sport seats only, jet fascia, console and door trim - no other choices
3. exterior - Polaris, caldera, ebony, storm grey, or rhodium
4. Wheels - 18" vela, no other choices

On 2017 convertibles, trunk space has been "reconfigured" to add 0.3 cubic feet of usable space.

XJL (11-28-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
More info on the new base model (from a JNA bulletin given to me by my sales associate):

Options:

2. interior is jet/jet sport seats only, jet fascia, console and door trim - no other choices

On 2017 convertibles, trunk space has been "reconfigured" to add 0.3 cubic feet of usable space.
That's just a return to the spec on the 14 base. The only difference is the original base cars had the 380w Meridian.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati

Options:

I sure as hell wouldn't want that car...

Old 11-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I sure as hell wouldn't want that car...
I wouldn't want it as a coupe either, but then again, was never interested in the coupe. However, as a convertible it's perfect.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I agree that V6 is probably more overall, but it was just a recent observation about the few dealers I keep track of.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2017 F Type Base? Might be worth waiting