F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2017 F Type Base? Might be worth waiting

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
I sure as hell wouldn't want that car...
You might not, but that pretty much IS my car. I have a 2015 base model, with no options at all. To get the price into the range where it was affordable (and even then I'm using that word pretty loosely ) it came down to a choice between an F-Type with no options or just going with a different brand (probably back to BMW).

Would I like to have some of the options, or even an S or R model? Of course! But it just wasn't possible for me right now. When this lease is up my other car will be paid off and I'll have more flexibility, but in the meantime I don't think you could possibly find a more beautiful car in the $60k-$70 range, even without all the option packages.

The following 4 users liked this post by ghatter:
DuhCar (11-17-2015), Foosh (11-17-2015), Merlin (11-17-2015), XJL (11-28-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Ghatter you have done well!

The following users liked this post:
ghatter (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Ghatter you have done well!
1st:
You fellow rag toppers are greater men than me.... I haven't the foggiest how you drive that car without vision pack. Top down, sure... but man those blind spots. I better angle my mirrors out more, or break my neck.

2nd & On Topic:

While I also might not want a base no option vehicle, it's pretty amazing just how stripped down these things can get.... which isn't a negative comment. *WHO CARES* what someone else's options are, as long as we see more beautiful F-Types on the road.

I agree the base must sell better than anything. All the F-Types I see around Marin and Silicon Valley don't have the badges, and I see a lot. Last night I was driving home (5.45p, top down, 62 degrees), and got a friendly honk as a salsa coupe slid by me. I am near the dealership so I see test drives a lot too... There's also confirmation bias and selective perception. The Forer effect suggests we see more as we're more aware of them. But seriously...

I passed two this AM.. one heading out at 5.45a, one about at the office south bay at 6.50a. It's amazing how many more I am seeing....

I think we're going to see a lot more on the road. I asked my dealer for sales numbers, what sells, etc. We'll see if they come through.

But Jag has done some amazing things lately (and as a Bill Hicks fan I would **** him off), but man, they're marketing and long term vision on how to handle this market is pretty masterful, IMHO.

I'm just glad a car like this is something a normal consumer can reach for.

I know the Camaro just won the motor trend car of the year, and I think that's because it's attainable to the broader market. Of the 10 considered, F-Type wasn't even in there.

With the variability of the build, the price cut, etc....
I bet that changes next year and F-Type gets noticed in a broader way.

(But I am a total fanboy at this point)

Old 11-18-2015, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I passed two this AM.. one heading out at 5.45a, one about at the office south bay at 6.50a. It's amazing how many more I am seeing....
To this date, besides the 7 that appeared at the Lancaster meet from across 3 states, I've still only seen 3 F-Types in the wild. In this area, if it ain't an SUV, it's gotta be a Prius. Yuck!

Uncle Fishbits (11-19-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

All of a sudden, Tesla Model S sightings are becoming common around here. I've seen a dozen or more in the last 6 months or so.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
All of a sudden, Tesla Model S sightings are becoming common around here. I've seen a dozen or more in the last 6 months or so.
+1. Every time I'm in and around NW D.C. and Bethesda, I see one or two per day. Also see one a couple times per week driving up and down I-95 between DC and Baltimore. Not surprising given that there are 2 sales outlets and one repair facility in the DC area.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-18-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Every time I'm in and around NW D.C. and Bethesda, I see one or two per day. Also see one a couple times per week driving up and down I-95 between DC and Baltimore. Not surprising given that there are 2 sales outlets and one repair facility in the DC area.
Yet, there are at least a half dozen JLR dealers within a 30 mile radius, and I've seen fewer F-Types than you in the wild (1), but I do see a fair number of XF and XJs, along w/ a boatload of LRs.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

We must have all of them on the west coast then. Seeing F-Types almost every time I go out now. One 30 mile trip I saw 4 including one on stopped on the side of the freeway.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Yet, there are at least a half dozen JLR dealers within a 30 mile radius, and I've seen fewer F-Types than you in the wild (1), but I do see a fair number of XF and XJs, along w/ a boatload of LRs.
Well, the Jaguar XK is the unofficial state car of D.C. so it makes some sense that there are so many JLR dealerships nearby.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

As I was implying above, we're dealing with a dull set of politicos in this area that can't envision themselves in anything other than a family vehicle, a stodgy sedan , or a politically correct green car. Not that I have anything against, soccer moms, beltway bandits or environmentalists, but it would be nice to see some sports cars and hot rods on a regular basis. That's about the only thing I miss about California.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
Well, the Jaguar XK is the unofficial state car of D.C. so it makes some sense that there are so many JLR dealerships nearby.
Yes, I heard that on the news yesterday. The number was something like 200% more XKs registered per capita in DC than in any of the 50 states. However, that number is based upon about 500K residents actually living in DC, so it is a very small number. It's a textbook case of how statistics can be misleading.

It's a relatively small town in terms of residents, but swells to about 2 million inhabitants during the day. When you're actually in DC as I am almost every day, you don't see many DC plates except on taxicabs and police vehicles. The vast majority are from MD and VA and leave at night.

Funny thing is I think there is only 1 "new" XK in stock at any of the half-dozen dealerships.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

As I was implying above, we're dealing with a dull set of politicos in this area that can't envision themselves in anything other than a family vehicle, a stodgy sedan , or a politically correct green car. Not that I have anything against, soccer moms, beltway bandits or environmentalists, but it would be nice to see some sports cars and hot rods on a regular basis. That's about the only thing I miss about California.
You need to get away from Silver Spring/Bethesda more often. They're out there, just not around you. In my downtown DC underground garage, I see some really nice hardware every day.

On the fantastic MD farm and horse country driving roads where I live, I'm treated to a car show in motion every weekend.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-18-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

You need to get away from Silver Spring/Bethesda more often. They're out there, just not around you. In my downtown DC underground garage, I see some really nice hardware every day.

On the fantastic MD farm and horse country driving roads where I live, I'm treated to a car show in motion every weekend.
Agreed. Out in the hinterlands, particularly on weekends, lots of nice rides, many on their way to/from various cars&coffee events. Unfortunately, doesn't do me much good on my weekday I-95 commute.

Are we off topic yet?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Sports cars of all type sell more in the fair weather west, Cal #1 market for many. Just more usable, I had roof down earlier today!

Old 11-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

And I had the top down in MD, both Monday and Tuesday this week. We're having an incredibly mild fall.

One thing I love about this convertible more than any other is the ability to raise and lower the roof in motion up to 30mph. I use it much more as a result.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

I asked my dealer for sales numbers, what sells, etc. We'll see if they come through.
I told him I wouldn't quote him... so don't quote him. This would be either "West" or Northern CA, I assume. Specifically Marin, north of SF.

"I would say that our region is more popular for the S. Manual transmission is a great hit. R is a great car but due to the price, I think the market is very small. Jaguar should be able to provide accurate data next year some time."

So that's from someone who would likely know.... at least their store.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed. Out in the hinterlands, particularly on weekends, lots of nice rides, many on their way to/from various cars&coffee events. Unfortunately, doesn't do me much good on my weekday I-95 commute.

Are we off topic yet?
I'm meant to spend a Christmas week in Dun Loring. Without my car. That's not Christmas.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

And I had the top down in MD, both Monday and Tuesday this week. We're having an incredibly mild fall.

One thing I love about this convertible more than any other is the ability to raise and lower the roof in motion up to 30mph. I use it much more as a result.
Exactly. Not that there isn't a bravado to it, but it's *SO* nice when you hit traffic and you just have to take the high road and relax, and look around at nature, the bay, etc. It makes the best of the worst situations. I call that luxury. =)

Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Or in the rare occasion that it rains ��

Old 11-28-2015, 12:32 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

I am sort of joking, but selling this car without the Vision pack is dangerous, and should be illegal. LOL

I got the base v6 but factory built and ordered, with all my options, ended up late $80's =)

Your post is spot on... the car is easily the greatest *value* of any high end sports car, and it's entry price is *just* close enough it may be attainable for some enthusiasts that otherwise would stare at Astons or Porsches all day.

Dropping that few grand in price will only appear in the places people are already looking at cars, and *really* plant that seed. It's an incredibly smart move, but 101 like you said.
I'm considering ordering a 2017 F-Type. Since you ordered your car, what type of discount were you able to negotiate? Are any discounts to be had when ordering?

Quick Reply: Buying a 2017 F Type Base? Might be worth waiting