F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a F Type Remotely

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 04:46 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Let's assume that for many folks in this group, their F Type was a financially significant purchase, meaning that losing a measure of it's value through fraud or failure to perform proper due diligence would hurt. Even if the seller had meant no harm, sh*t happens...and because sh*t happens on a regular basis out there, there are procedures and practices that businesses and smart individuals adhere to in order to mitigate such risk.

Have you ever read through a vehicle purchase agreement? How about your home purchase agreement and/or mortgage docs. There are VERY GOOD reasons why these documents are many, many pages long. The fraud that has been going on in the business community over the past several decades is astounding. For example...

About fifteen years ago, I [thought I] bought a piece of medical equipment from a dealer in Florida. Fortunately, it was only about USD8500., but to make a very long story short, the instrument was never shipped and I was out 4250. [the deposit I sent]. I got in touch with the Atty. Generals office in Florida and spoke to a very nice gentleman at length and he told me that fraud was so rampant [and this was a while ago] that their office didn't even open a file on a case for less then USD20K! He told me to thank God it wasn't much more and to be smart the next time I buy something. People have been getting slaughtered [particularly on-line] for decades now.

I understand that dealing with a reputable dealer counts for something, but it does not mean that they did not miss something a discriminating buyer/agent would not. I am just telling those young people out there to treat yourself like you would family. If you wouldn't gamble your sister's money, why would you put your own at risk?

I am not sure exactly who you want to trust these days, but used car dealers or individuals selling used cars probably shouldn't be high on your list.

Measure twice, cut once...

Old 01-12-2024, 04:52 PM
Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
Let's put it this way...if the same car was available 3000mi away or just on the other side of town, would you tailor your evaluation differently? Unless you could care less about the financial repercussions of the purchase [not to mention the time involved in fixing potentially unknown issues], why would any of us buy a car we would not check out thoroughly? Would any of us take this path professionally? Would you subject your customer/client/patient to the same risks by not completing full and thorough due diligence?

I believe this is where one must attempt to take the emotion out of the process. All of us know how we get when we see what we think is the perfect car, right? It's like how we get when we believe we have found the perfect woman...completely irrational. This is what allows people to do crazy things like buying a really expensive car based on what a salesperson tells us is the case. These people are experts are pushing our buttons, so we talk ourselves into doing bizarre things...like we have all done when certain neurotransmitters are released which cause us to open our wallets and spend stupid money trying to impress a women.

I am sorry, spending this much money for something THIS important requires the proper mindset. We all know that taking shortcuts generally doesn't work out so well in life, so why do we think it will payoff in this arena? I believe I can state with confidence that a car delivered from thousands of miles away will not be held to the same standard as one that you can evaluate in person.
Not to be a contrarian, but its just a car, not a lifetime commitment. And I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people here who can purchase more premium, (or just known 'enthusiast' cars) are not taking a car salesmen's word for anything other than what it is- a sales pitch. I've had like 50 cars, but I've never walked into a showroom and had a salesmen talk me into anything. I already know what I want, have researched prices, options, etc. I think most 'car people' do some level of research and have framed up some parameters before any purchase.

I'll fall back to what I said earlier, what's your tolerance to risk? Some people only buy new, and when the warranty goes, so does the car. Nothing wrong with that. But it's inherent when you buy a used car, there may be issues-more risk.

And there's no guarantee even if you do inspect the car in person. Unless your bringing some serious diagnostic tools, your just evaluating the the very basics of operation. Does it start/run/stop/no weird noises? Dents/rust/switches do what there supposed to? Even a PPI, they are doing the same things just listed and then checking the charging system/fluids/any service history. Their not busting out a bore scope, and that 6yr old alternator might charging fine right now and still fail a week later. Now if we are talking some serious $$$ cars, that's a different story. Typically those cars have some provenance.

But then again, don't listen to anything I say, I imported a 18,000lb Mercedes firetruck from Germany without inspecting it in person. Once I was driving down the street and they had a brand new Eagle Talon on display out front, turbo, AWD (yes it was back in the day) and I pulled in and bought it on the spot. So I may skew a little more hard core car guy than most....Ha!

Old 01-13-2024, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ThunderKitty
And there's no guarantee even if you do inspect the car in person. Unless your bringing some serious diagnostic tools, your just evaluating the the very basics of operation. Does it start/run/stop/no weird noises? Dents/rust/switches do what there supposed to? Even a PPI, they are doing the same things just listed and then checking the charging system/fluids/any service history. Their not busting out a bore scope, and that 6yr old alternator might charging fine right now and still fail a week later. Now if we are talking some serious $$$ cars, that's a different story. Typically those cars have some provenance.
You do it for the same reason you check out the condition of a house before you buy it...you want to know [as accurately as practical] what you are buying. This is not complex financial theory.

I do realize that we have been living in an era where people believe that money just falls out of the sky, but to consider a purchase this large so cavalierly seems unwise, at best. I don't know about you, but I had to work my *** off for my money and I am going to do what I can to make sure I spend it with care. Eventually, the printing presses are going to be shut down and most everybody is going to have to learn to be like our grandparents [and theirs before them] were. The party is winding down...

Old 01-13-2024, 09:48 PM
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been doing a detailed evaluation of the 2017 F Type R I purchased remotely last month. My goal is to look at all the various weak points to plan for preventative maintainence. I had some data prepurchase, but nothing beats having the car in your garage and doing a detailed inspection.

Anyway, I've turned my attention to the plastic cooling pipes at the front of the engine. These are one of a couple of weak points on the F Type (the e-differential being the other). As I'm sure most owners know, Jaguar redesigned these cooling pipes as the old ones were prone to premature cracking. Thanks to this forum for providing all the details, including a couple of guides for DIY replacement if you're so inclined.

Well, I took a close look at my cooling system tonight. To my immense satisfaction, a prior owner has already replaced these with the new version. This is a bit like hitting the used-car lottery. In fact, it's hard to belive my car was 7 years old. Everything in it looks pristine and carefully kept. I'm hoping this is a good sign that the prior owner was diligent about the few other weak points (e.g., differential; the rear diff housing looked great, no signs of any leakage at all. ). None-the-less, I'm changing out the diff fluid next week to have a known baseline for future service.

Thanks for letting me share my good news. My wife has this "huh?" look when I mention it. You're my people here. You'll understand.

Last edited by diablo2112; 01-13-2024 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by diablo2112
I've been doing a detailed evaluation of the 2017 F Type R I purchased remotely last month. My goal is to look at all the various weak points to plan for preventative maintainence. I had some data prepurchase, but nothing beats having the car in your garage and doing a detailed inspection.

Anyway, I've turned my attention to the plastic cooling pipes at the front of the engine. These are one of a couple of weak points on the F Type (the e-differential being the other). As I'm sure most owners know, Jaguar redesigned these cooling pipes as the old ones were prone to premature cracking. Thanks to this forum for providing all the details, including a couple of guides for DIY replacement if you're so inclined.

Well, I took a close look at my cooling system tonight. To my immense satisfaction, a prior owner has already replaced these with the new version. This is a bit like hitting the used-car lottery. In fact, it's hard to belive my car was 7 years old. Everything in it looks pristine and carefully kept. I'm hoping this is a good sign that the prior owner was diligent about the few other weak points (e.g., differential; the rear diff housing looked great, no signs of any leakage at all. ). None-the-less, I'm changing out the diff fluid next week to have a known baseline for future service.

Thanks for letting me share my good news. My wife has this "huh?" look when I mention it. You're my people here. You'll understand.

That is good news, but better news would have been if the previous owner replaced them with the aluminum version [which should be a permanent fix, as plastic can crack over time]. If you are thinking about keeping the car for the long haul, you might wish to put this upgrade somewhere on your TTD list. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know the failure rate of these plastic coolant pipes [old or new design], but it's safe to say that their failure is often catastrophic [quickly cooking your engine].

Old 01-14-2024, 11:32 AM
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
That is good news, but better news would have been if the previous owner replaced them with the aluminum version [which should be a permanent fix, as plastic can crack over time]. If you are thinking about keeping the car for the long haul, you might wish to put this upgrade somewhere on your TTD list. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know the failure rate of these plastic coolant pipes [old or new design], but it's safe to say that their failure is often catastrophic [quickly cooking your engine].
Indeed. I've already ordered an aluminum set for just this reason. That said, most indications are the newer plastic pipes have been robust. It was nuts to cast the old pipes as 2 clamshell halves and plastic-weld the seam.

If/when the supercharger comes off for other service, the aluminum pipes will go in. Until then, I'm not especially concernned given the update. IIRC, the aluminum pipes have only been available since 2022 or so. I'm guessing the update on my car was done prior to that.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:27 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought my dad's 400 Sport sight unseen from Jaguar Bellevue (Washington), and had it shipped to New Orleans (I was in CT at the time) during COVID lockdowns. It was CPO and under warranty so that gave some level of comfort. Aside from the sales person being a dick (assured me it would arrive with hard tags, it was shipped without any tags or title present), no regrets. Car was in great condition and my dad loves it.

The following users liked this post:
Badgerman (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 03:43 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamal302
I bought my dad's 400 Sport sight unseen ...
Can I adopt you?

The following users liked this post:
Jamal302 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 08:33 AM
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Last Saturday I took delivery of my new 2024 F-Type 75 remotely from a AutoNation Jaguar dealership about a five hour drive from me who was able to deliver it to another AutoNation Jaguar dealership near me for a $600 transport fee. Was also able to buy the F-Type $8K under MSRP via a AutoNation discount that oddly didn't show on the dealership site. Process took about two weeks and did all the communication and paperwork with them via phone, email and text. Had to drive into the local AutoNation Jaguar dealership to sign some paperwork before delivery too. Overall a very positive experience.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

The front cooling pipes were originally Aluminum from Jaguar. Then around 2010-2011 they switched to the "fat" seamed plastic pipes which as we know are failure prone. Then Jaguar replaced those with the "smooth" seamed plastic pipes that while still plastic don't fail as quick or as often as the "fat" seamed early versions.

So Jaguar themselves have gone back and forth between Aluminum and plastic and we never found out why the switch? Cost most likely?
Same thing happened with the timing chain change from 6.35mm to 8mm that was done around the same time. Some kind of manufacturing decision?