Sponsored by:

Buying Jaguar F-Type P450

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Don G
... the following statement: "Jaguar resale values sink like a stone - a stone with a lead weight attached to it." That statement + the reputation that Jags have for high maintenance costs and sometimes questionable reliability as they age ...
I'd guess that people asserting the high maintenance costs have never run a modern Jaguar - in my experience they're no more expensive to maintain than an "ordinary" car, and certainly not in the stratospheric supercar territory. As to aging reliability - I've had Jaguars at 60,000 and 90,000 miles and had no issues that wouldn't have happened to any vehicle of that age and mileage. Go back to the bad old days of the 1970s and 80s and you'd have a point, but how reliable were most cars in that era?

Of course, if you're buying used, perpetuating those myths works massively in your favour!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
JagGuardian (10-14-2021), sov211 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting response to the FTYPE, boredom in an FTYPE. That's a NEW one.
I doubt seriously that boredom is something you'll feel. I've had my 2020 since December 2019. and never once felt
that emotion, not even close. I still look back at her as she sits in a parking lot, love to just get in and DRIVE her.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

DJHartunian:
I am never bored by my F-Type or by my Armenian wife, though both require a level of maintenance.

Also, I was behind a BMW M3 for a short period (until he was behind me) this morning.
What a racket!! Not sure whether it was stock but that thing popped non-stop - sounded like bunch of firecrackers continuously.
Can't imagine driving it far with all that noise. Plus it must be police magnet.
In comparison, the R-Dynamic has a much more sophisticated sound. The pops are relatively infrequent but the exhaust roar is great.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
DJHartunian:
Can't imagine driving it far with all that noise. Plus it must be police magnet.
I had an E46 M3 for many years. I didn't have an overrun tune on it, but one year I counted that I got pulled over 12 times.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your point is well taken. I had ZERO problems with mine. (Of course I had less than 5,000 miles on it when the lease ended (the car was in storage for 5 months each winter and I was always VERY careful where I took it, parked it etc. during the warmer months.)

The only annoyances I had with it was that occasionally it would not 'see' the smart key immediately, and the stored setting for the seat positions (1-3) would not often advance correctly (and the dealer was clueless on how to fix it). But in terms of engine, transmission et al, everything performed as advertised.

My only point was that if leasing is considered it's a good way to keep all your options open. The residual value position that Jaguar Financial took was very good (62% at the end of 3 years), and the "money factor" (dealer-speak for interest rate) was only a tick above 1%.

Points mentioned by other respondents are also spot on - the car drew comments (all positive) where ever I took it.......

Old 10-14-2021, 05:00 PM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe every manufacturer has its era and the one or few things they get right. The only ones to get most everything right are boring as all get out. In General, UK is known for Elegance, Italy for sexy, German for handling&over engineering, Japan for reliability&near perfect engineering(boring) and US HP/$.

The BMW vs Jag responses prove the point.

I'm new to Jag and stare at my Jags (03/04) way more than I ever did my BMW's. On the other hand, I will never be as confident in the handling of my Jag's as with my BMW's. (85/88)

Nearly every vehicle produced now, will be a hit to the pocket. We live in a profit 'margin' at all cost world and way too heavy on the electronics for my taste.

Pick what makes you smile, whether it be style, performance or mpg.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2ndeagle:
DJS (10-14-2021), scm (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndeagle
I believe every manufacturer has its era and the one or few things they get right. The only ones to get most everything right are boring as all get out. In General, UK is known for Elegance, Italy for sexy, German for handling&over engineering, Japan for reliability&near perfect engineering(boring) and US HP/$.

The BMW vs Jag responses prove the point.

I'm new to Jag and stare at my Jags (03/04) way more than I ever did my BMW's. On the other hand, I will never be as confident in the handling of my Jag's as with my BMW's. (85/88)

Nearly every vehicle produced now, will be a hit to the pocket. We live in a profit 'margin' at all cost world and way too heavy on the electronics for my taste.

Pick what makes you smile, whether it be style, performance or mpg.
Very well put. Especially about the strengths and weaknesses of each brand. My wife drives an A4 Allroad (2020) and the car is a dream. But it would fit perfectly into "if a German designed a paper clip it would have 10 moving parts" definition. By comparison my other vehicle is a 2019 Ford F-250. Everything is simple to use, it's highly serviceable...not too elegant but VERY dependable.
Your point about British elegance is well taken. The only downside of my F-Type was that it sat all winter while I made lease payments. It's replacement is another JLR product - full of style, but dead last on the JD Powers list of vehicles with questionable repair histories - a 2022 Land Rover Defender 90. So - even without my F-Type - the JLR presence lives on in my household.

The following users liked this post:
Fireze22 (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 06:37 PM
Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

If you spend no more than 5% (10% max) of your liquid assets (not counting your home) on toys and experiences then you will have no regrets!

Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 PM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRAU
If you spend no more than 5% (10% max) of your liquid assets (not counting your home) on toys and experiences then you will have no regrets!
Now you tell me...🤣🤣

JagGuardian (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 08:35 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scz4
It's funny how highly regarded the Jag is over in the US, perhaps because it's something different. But here in Europe (I'm in the UK) they rank way below the German rivals. I would never ever consider a daily Jag like a XE\XF\F-Pce, very poor brand, but premium prices. In fact I had a E-Pace courtesy car a few months back, plastic fantastic.

Definitely lot of rose tinted glasses being worn on here. This is my first Jag, but had over 15 BMW's. BMW without doubt are far far better made, not just in terms of reliability, just look at the awful door\bonnet alighnment on the F-type they still can't get right 8 years on. Underside corrosion, sticky steering wheel controls, awful Meridian sound system, soft paint, the list goes on. If you've never driven a proper ///M car, then you should. Will quickly show up the F-type dynamics. Technology, not just in the car, but under the bonnet is hardly revolutionary. The love to drag a product out.

I will probably consider a Z4 M40i to replace my V6S. BMW ownership is just so much better here in the UK, Jaguar dealers are totally uninterested and useless. I do love my F-type, most fun and best looking car I've owned, but it's getting on. I do so fully understand what people are saying regarding comparing stats etc. I would definitely consider a V8 F-type, but the gap in the UK is just getting bigger and bigger and no longer the performance bargain that attracted me to the F-type in the first place. Would cost $45 to upgrade from a 2013 V6S to a 2017 AWD V8. Or $15k to get into a Z4 M40i with 1500 miles on the clock. As someone who buys cash that's a big jump.
as someone who still frequents bimmerpost, and has owned a 2011.5 e90M and 15’ M4 you are so grossly wrong it’s crazy

Old 10-14-2021, 09:10 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyM
as someone who still frequents bimmerpost, and has owned a 2011.5 e90M and 15’ M4 you are so grossly wrong it’s crazy
(I'm not talking about you Jonny...)
i've said it before and i'll say it again, i've spent plenty of time on BMW and mercedes message boards and their posters are terrible. the old joke is true (though it's usually about porsche guys); the difference between porcupines and BMW/MB drivers is that in BMW's and MB's the ****** are on the INSIDE.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

A lot of complaints on these charts have to do with infotainment , and poor dealer service. I remember Ford took a big drop one year because customers didn't like new infotainment system. When the Maserati Ghibli forum got popular in late '13 we had constant BMW posts badmouthing our cars. We figured at least a bunch weren't even owners.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

5-10% on toys? I could have retired 10 years earlier!

Old 10-15-2021, 07:11 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRAU
Spending liquid assets? I am pouring most of my liquid assets (mostly single barrel) down my throat!

Old 10-15-2021, 07:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned three BMW Z4's and still own the last generation. I also owned a Z3. After the last Z4 rolled off the production line in 2016, I waited for the new generation to be offered thinking I would buy one. I have never been so disappointed, it is fugly. They really have missed the mark.
On the other hand I love my F-Type, can't imaging being bored, and it is beautiful from every angle. I, too look back at it everytime I park it after three years of ownership.

Last edited by Roadstergal; 10-15-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2022 Jaguar F-Type P450 R-Dynamic AWD Coupe, BRG with tan/black interior….I have it 3 weeks, driven 1200 miles…I traded in a 2021 Porsche 911 (had electronic issues and the dealer network seems to forget about after sale support…)…I love the Jaguar, very refined high performance car. I don’t see getting bored with this car!!!
I did a test drive and in 10 minutes fell in love with the car…the computer system in this car is very user friendly…I can do everything…after owning the Porsche for 3 months, I was still trying to figure things out….
Sooooo, my friend, go for it, you will not be disappointed!!!!

The following 5 users liked this post by richjs43:
2ndeagle (10-20-2021), Dwight Frye (10-15-2021), mmmjag (10-15-2021), MV Rider (10-15-2021), sov211 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadstergal
I have owned three BMW Z4's and still own the last generation. I also owned a Z3. After the last Z4 rolled off the production line in 2016, I waited for the new generation to be offered thinking I would buy one. I have never been so disappointed, it is fugly. They really have missed the mark.
I know we are on a Jaguar forum, but I share the same thoughts. I really did like the earlier generation Z4 (today, I'd get the Supra instead). I'm not a huge convertible fan, but I would definitely (still) rock an earlier generation Z4. That being said, that pretty much goes the same with all of BMW's newest generation and their horrible grills...

Old 10-16-2021, 04:52 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Well said and entirely accurate.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:53 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Well here's a boredom story....

I leased an F-Type Convertible the first year they came out. I had the S trim. The better half and I took some lovely road trips and just loved it. Short of the Ferrari California, the styling is just the best out there. Subjective I know.... My lease was going to end in the spring, so I extended it 6 months and turned it back in the fall. I have to say at the end of the 42 months, it was certainly less exciting that the earlier years, and we let it go.

We spent the next summer without a toy and really missed it. We ended up getting a MB SL400 Roadster, thinking "we don't need that sportiness of the F-Type, we want a cruiser".

SL is built like a tank and a very nice car, but one word:

B O R I N G

Seemed like half the time we were in the SL, we talked about missing the F-Type.

A few hours ago I was at my Jaguar dealer showing him my 2022 F-Type build spec and working the numbers.

Still one of the most beautiful and attainable sports cars out there. Gonna do it again....

PS - ignore my sig - needs updating!

Last edited by LMS; 10-20-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Fireze22 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 12:54 AM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Some food for thought. I bought a new 2021 F Type R (P575). I got $10k off MSRP with the factory rebate. Suede headliner, black interior pack, black design exterior, cold weather pack, blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic (doesn't work, more on that), glass roof, etc. for $105k. Was going to order one but at the time, they weren't taking orders due to production halt from chip shortage. Found mine on a lot our of state.

Anyway, I get bored with cars quickly unfortunately. However, this is a pretty special car; however, some nagging issues are taking some of the joy out of new ownership. My blind spot monitoring and cross traffic worked for all of 20 miles, then died. I still havent been able to get it into a dealership because the dealership sux. Not the luxury car brand ownership experience I hoped for. They also dont have any loaner vehicles because they sold them all due to lack of inventory again due to the chip shortage. No other dealership for 70 miles.

The quality is iffy IMO. I have an SVO paint which is supposed to be inspected and higher quality. For a $4k premium, it isnt any better. I found some imperfections including fish eyes and drips along the edges of some panels. Yes, its brand new and no, it wasnt repainted. The passenger window leaks (just from a garden hose while washing), and has a wind whistle at freeway speeds. Theres a rattle behind the passenger seat which may be from the cheesy plastic child seat anchor cover. I removed it leaving an ugly hole where the anchor is. My steering wheel centering stitching is off center (yes, wheel is straight).

I know Jags have a history of being imperfect, but I hoped that after spending over $100k on a car, quality would be better.

So, although I hate dealerships, I have to take it in to correct some issues and I've had it for a month.

As others have said, there are better cars for the money. My Camaro SS 1LE handled better, sounded darn good, was fast as hell, cheap to maintain, had more options like Brembo brakes, recaro seats, HUD, track apps including a camera that recorded with lap time, braking, RPM, G force overlays, etc. and honestly had same or slightly better quality if you can believe that. That Camaro was $42k out the door. It out performed cars twice the price on track.

That said, the F Type is beautiful, sounds incredible, is rare compared to its competitors, and is nearly an exotic due to the beauty and exclusivity. It has a good warranty and free scheduled maintenance. Driving it almost makes you forgive the issues. I do think it is way overpriced though.

I do have a little buyers remorse mainly because of how much I spent and already having issues with it. Plus, they depreciate pretty badly. I knew that going in, but was impatient to find a slightly used one because I wanted the new version.

Just some things to consider.

Last edited by Cgo; 10-21-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying Jaguar F-Type P450