F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Jaguar F-Type P450

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Sorry to hear about the nagging issues. Jag warranty covers paint imperfections for first 12 months if I recall. Have it addressed along with the other issues. I have a good dealership for most part. they pick up and drop off my vehicle at location of my choice even now that warranty has run out. Scarborough Jag of Maine is off the charts in service and support.. My local BMW dealer was awful (years ago). My partner's Porsche dealer isn't great either.(he has a 911 GTS) Because of their respective lack of competition for service and warranty anchor, I don't think it helps. Happy driving though, imperfections and all. With regard to price, pre covid most jags sold new at 15-20% off msrp. They should but some of that money back into quality and hold their price (and value). Did the red bow come with the car?

Old 10-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Sorry to hear about the nagging issues. Jag warranty covers paint imperfections for first 12 months if I recall. Have it addressed along with the other issues. I have a good dealership for most part. they pick up and drop off my vehicle at location of my choice even now that warranty has run out. Scarborough Jag of Maine is off the charts in service and support.. My local BMW dealer was awful (years ago). My partner's Porsche dealer isn't great either.(he has a 911 GTS) Because of their respective lack of competition for service and warranty anchor, I don't think it helps. Happy driving though, imperfections and all. With regard to price, pre covid most jags sold new at 15-20% off msrp. They should but some of that money back into quality and hold their price (and value). Did the red bow come with the car?
lol on the bow. no! I didnt even get a hat and I paid cash! Haha

too late for the paint issues. I already had it buffed, ceramic coated, and wrapped with PPF. Plus, I dont want any repaints. Never as "good" as factory.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
lol on the bow. no! I didnt even get a hat and I paid cash! Haha

too late for the paint issues. I already had it buffed, ceramic coated, and wrapped with PPF. Plus, I dont want any repaints. Never as "good" as factory.
They make more money if you finance through them, which also gives them the opportunity to switch your mind to negotiating monthly payments instead of the overall price. The days of paying cash for a car as a negotiating tool are in the rear view mirror.

The following 3 users liked this post by eeeeek:
2ndeagle (10-21-2021), F-Type Wannabe (02-23-2023), Mahjik (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 11:12 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by eeeeek
They make more money if you finance through them, which also gives them the opportunity to switch your mind to negotiating monthly payments instead of the overall price. The days of paying cash for a car as a negotiating tool are in the rear view mirror.
yeah, i never negotiate payments. Always the sales price. If I dont pay cash, I get my own loan ready to go before going to the dealer.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Did you wrap the entire car with film? What product and if you are willing to tell, what is going price in your area?

Old 10-22-2021, 07:12 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you wrap the entire car with film? What product and if you are willing to tell, what is going price in your area?
Was wondering the same. I am also curious to know if the paint defects you've seen were found randomly all over the car or mainly in one area? I have heard of many instances of cars being damaged at Port, repainted and never disclosed.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:36 AM
Cgo

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Was wondering the same. I am also curious to know if the paint defects you've seen were found randomly all over the car or mainly in one area? I have heard of many instances of cars being damaged at Port, repainted and never disclosed.
Keep in mind, I'm a perfectionist. I typically see things most people never would. Teeny tiny specs of dirt under the clear on the left rear quarter panel and a tiny fish eye. A smudge under the clear on the hood. Couple edge drips on the left and right quarter panels near the flip spoiler.

No, I didnt wrap the entire car. I wrapped the rockers and up onto the rear quarters in front of the rear wheels. Also the entire front and about halfway up the hood using self healing XPel Ultimate Plus.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (10-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 12:59 PM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Buy the Jag.

Last edited by Michael211; 11-22-2021 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Buy
Old 07-16-2022, 05:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ToysARs
I'm in the same boat as you are. I think P450 is great if you can keep the price around $80-90k levels. I think its biggest differentiator is the V8 and looks. If you don't care about the V8, I think there are better cars out there. I currently own a 2020 Z4 M40 and its arguably better car in every category than F-type. Comfort, tech, usability (trunk space etc), drivetrain, handling etc. but Z4 doesn't have V8 and the styling is definitely subjective between the two (I find F-type to look better). I'm thinking of getting the F-type for the V8 and styling next year.

On the other hand, if you are looking at a brand new F-type R, I think there are infinitely better cars at that price point and it is not even close.

Just my 2-cents
I would have never thought a Z4 would be in a conversation about the F-Type. You should read the spec of the R at 575hp. The Ftypes specs are way better. And huge difference is the PRESTIGE. Nobody is chasing Z4’s for photos🤦🏼‍♀️ That’s why it cost more. If you are on a budget, the standard Corvette is your best bet. If you want real world road supremacy and the look of prestige; then the F-Type is the ONLY choice.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by F-type-r-2022
I would have never thought a Z4 would be in a conversation about the F-Type. You should read the spec of the R at 575hp. The Ftypes specs are way better. And huge difference is the PRESTIGE. Nobody is chasing Z4’s for photos🤦🏼‍♀️ That’s why it cost more. If you are on a budget, the standard Corvette is your best bet. If you want real world road supremacy and the look of prestige; then the F-Type is the ONLY choice.
I hope this is totally tongue in cheek...

Old 07-16-2022, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fireze22
I hope this is totally tongue in cheek...
No it’s true. Go to car week next month or watch the YouTube videos; no carspotter is gonna even notice a Z4. A Z8 yes! Z4’s should only be discussed with Supras and Z cars. I’m not saying it’s a bad car, but it’s just not…🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️I can’t…

Old 07-16-2022, 07:40 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

big difference in refinement between the the Z4 and F-Type also.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by LMS
big difference in refinement between the the Z4 and F-Type also.
Yes, the F-Type is more refined too. You should see what the Germans say about it. F-Type sales are huge in Germany.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this is the place to ask.

I am considering my first Jag F-Type 8 cyl and have been scouring Autotrader and such for some months now for a used F-Type. About $80K is my absolute top # and would like to stay closer to $70K.

When I recently learned that ALL '22+ F-Types were 8 cyl I started thinking seriously of the '22+

I am starting to see ads for NEW '23s at a decent discount off MSRP. Like ~84K msrp and 77K price. Any idea if this is real ? I mean if sellers are looking for "only" $7K or so below sticker for a '22, why would' I buy a brand new '23 for sticker -7K ?

I ask because I still see a '23 used "R" (~3K mi) for near original sticker. I've even seen a '22 advertised OVER original sticker LMAO

Most used F-Type 8 cyl have been advertised at approx 10K per model year below original sticker and only recently have the 18-20 models ("R") been dropping at a decent clip. But I love the updated nose and dash of the '21 and up and now that '22 and up are ALL 8 cyl, I've shifted my focus.

So what has the history of (just) pre-Covid been ? You mentioned $15-20K off an "R" before Covid ? Then Covid killed the market altogether for 3-6 months and then, once we started peeking our heads outdoors again and everybody got gubmint cash and started spending it like drunken sailors on leave, with supply shortages, etc., prices exploded upwards.

And now that inflation has inevitably reared its ugly head again, supply chain issues have eased a bit, and prices are seemingly dropping a bit again to somewhat normal(?) levels, how has the price of a NEW Jag done ? Are discounts king again for the Jags ?

TIA

Old 02-23-2023, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Just remember that not all F-Type V8s are alike. Since they ditched the 6 and went all 8s, they have base model v8s that don't have all the goodies the R does. The new R is near enough to the SVR that it doesn't make much difference. The upside to the base v8 is you can get it in RWD. I'm not sure if someone has tried to add all the options that you get with the 'R' (or if you even can) and see how much that will cost. You can flash the ECU and get the car up to 575 or more fairly easily.

I have no idea where pricing is going, by it's typical to not discount the top models as much, be it an AMG or an Audi RS. The production is more limited and the dealers are proud of them.

Last edited by eeeeek; 02-23-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Just remember that not all F-Type V8s are alike. Since they ditched the 6 and went all 8s, they have base model v8s that don't have all the goodies the R does. The new R is near enough to the SVR that it doesn't make much difference. The upside to the base v8 is you can get it in RWD. I'm not sure if someone has tried to *** all the options that you get with the 'R' (or if you even can) and see how much that will cost. You can flash the ECU and get the car up to 575 or more fairly easily.

I have no idea where pricing is going, by it's typical to not discount the top models as much, be it an AMG or an Audi RS. The production is more limited and the dealers are proud of them.
Thanks. My post was too long but I do realize the main difference is between the 444 hp engine and the R's 575 hp.

I don't really "need" the extra ponies especially not at the $30K(?) price tag. And living in SoFla I don't care much about the AWD. Most of the "base" F-Types I've seen ('22 +) seem to have the same $10K of options on them, including upgraded sound, Climate Pack, Exterior Black Pkg, Wheels, Roof, etc. (but I ask for the original sticker anyway, just to make sure).

So an $82K '23 (base+10K options), selling for ~76 or so, becomes a very appealing price point. Especially since some dealers are asking very close to the same price for USED '23s AND 22s.................

And no flashing for me. I'm not about to take any chances killing the warranty on the car for a little more speed.

Old 02-23-2023, 02:10 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Type Wannabe
And no flashing for me. I'm not about to take any chances killing the warranty on the car for a little more speed.
I will say the VAP tunes have a stellar reputation here on the forums. I had one on my first F-Type and will be applying one to my '23 R-Dynamic as soon as it wakes up from its winter nap. For about $1K US you go from 450bhp to 605bhp. That's not just a little more power. The base V8s are simply detuned and the ECU flash just brings it up to the R. Otherwise the engines are identical. Everyone needs to be comfortable with their own level of risk, but as far as aftermarket mods go, in my mind this is extremely low risk since the engine was designed for it. R performance for $1K is a bargain any way you slice it--especially since (as you noted) the only real difference in the trim levels these days is the engine.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thunder Dump:
F-Type Wannabe (02-23-2023), RA062923 (02-24-2023), spegor (02-23-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 06:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on when you buy, I bought a fully loaded 2023R for 9k less than a fully loaded 2022R.

Old 02-24-2023, 03:27 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Due to the nature of my job in high end business aviation, I get to drive some of the worlds best cars. The F-Type is as fun as any of them in spirited street driving. Not quite as fast as today's multi million dollar supercars, or a Plaid, but so what? In fact, I'd say the F-Type's personality is borderline frantic. Nice!

It is not the car if you need 1/4 mile bragging rights. It is the car you desire to drive on a regular basis, while misbehaving some. On the drive home from the airport today, I had a blast passing everyone.

The following users liked this post:
F-Type Wannabe (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by cujet
In fact, I'd say the F-Type's personality is borderline frantic.
I'd say it's schizophrenic - ***** cat at low throttle openings, and a hooligan when you floor it!