Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Opinion - 2017 S or 2018 R-Dynamic

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying Opinion - 2017 S or 2018 R-Dynamic

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to pickup an f-type and recently test drove a 2018 r-dynamic awd (v6) with ~95000km (58k miles) on it. I am about to pull the trigger on this but found another 2017 S AWD (same v6 i believe) with 58000km (36k miles). Asking price difference is $3k more for the lower km 2017 S model. 3k diff is in CAD (a little over 2k USD).

Both look pretty similar spec wise, wondering what F-type owners on here would lean towards? The 2017 S is a little bit of a drive away from me so I have only test driven the 2018.

Also, i have the option of a 4yr extended warranty for $11k CAD (8k USD) or a 2yr for ~$8k CAD (6k USD). Both cover the number of kms (10k) I'm estimating to put on each year. Is this worth it?

Thank you!

Old 03-23-2023, 01:45 PM

Edited to note I got the service history on the r-dynamic and it looks quite well maintained. A couple claims while under warranty (infotainment center, coolant leak and exhaust). Haven't reached out about the S, will only do so if people on here tell me that' the better option to go for the lower kms.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

I would say maintenance done well and frequently along the way is more impt than the mileage difference. Particular preference for color or specs?
Think 2018 might have better infotainment and the led headlights. And perhaps the improved plastic cooling pipes too. You would need to confirm

On the warranty. All depends how good it is. Most exclude rubber hoses, plastic, gaskets and seals etc. which is many mechanical issues. So it might be worth it for peace of mind. But that sounds pretty steep at 3k per year you could put in a kitty for maintenance?
I would prob pocket the money into a rainy day fund and go without. Particularly if you have a good Indy mechanic or know how to do some work yourself

Would recommend PPI inspection to check for issues...

Old 03-25-2023, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
I would say maintenance done well and frequently along the way is more impt than the mileage difference. Particular preference for color or specs?
Think 2018 might have better infotainment and the led headlights. And perhaps the improved plastic cooling pipes too. You would need to confirm

On the warranty. All depends how good it is. Most exclude rubber hoses, plastic, gaskets and seals etc. which is many mechanical issues. So it might be worth it for peace of mind. But that sounds pretty steep at 3k per year you could put in a kitty for maintenance?
I would prob pocket the money into a rainy day fund and go without. Particularly if you have a good Indy mechanic or know how to do some work yourself

Would recommend PPI inspection to check for issues...
Thanks for the reply.

I checked the 2017 and found it it has a collision on the carfax. I was able to negotiate down the warranty by 2k, so $9k CAD for 4 years. It seems pretty comprehensive, just a small list of exclusions. I don't like paying it but i think it would give me the piece of mind to drive the car to the fullest (maybe track it a couple times) if I had the warranty. So long story short I ended up taking that offer. The price of the car seemed quite fair and the warranty while steep at least i got something off since i figured that was the higher margin product. 9k cad is 6.5k USD and works out to be insurance of about $135 USD / month. which seems more reasonable. I'm probably justifying but decision made now. Looking forward to picking up the car!

Old 03-25-2023, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

$2k reduction for the warranty is a good move. I would say $6k US is decent for a 4 yr warranty. And if it's exclusionary (they tell you what's not covered) it's better than the ones that are vague on coverage. I would say that's good peace of mind for 4 years

I bought two Jags as used CPO over the years and both times paid for 2-3 years extended warranty. It was not economically worth it in the end as I never had any major repairs. But it was worth to me for peace of mind. So I hear you

Post pictures of the car and I hope you love it. Mine is a 2017 model year. It's a great drive!
So did you end up with the 2017 or the 2018? It wasn't quite clear!

The following users liked this post:
hurlbz (04-19-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 03:50 AM
Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hurlbz;[url=tel:2626563
2626563[/url]]Thanks for the reply.

I checked the 2017 and found it it has a collision on the carfax. I was able to negotiate down the warranty by 2k, so $9k CAD for 4 years. It seems pretty comprehensive, just a small list of exclusions. I don't like paying it but i think it would give me the piece of mind to drive the car to the fullest (maybe track it a couple times) if I had the warranty. So long story short I ended up taking that offer. The price of the car seemed quite fair and the warranty while steep at least i got something off since i figured that was the higher margin product. 9k cad is 6.5k USD and works out to be insurance of about $135 USD / month. which seems more reasonable. I'm probably justifying but decision made now. Looking forward to picking up the car!
I've owned a 2015 & 2016 F-Type S and currently own a 2018 R-Dynamic. My earlier F-Types were RWD and kinda spunky when it came to performance and handling. I loved their performance and handling. My 2018 is AWD and is more of a boulevard cruiser. In comparison to RWD, AWD in V6 F-Types drives heavy in an already heavy car.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:15 PM

$2k reduction for the warranty is a good move. I would say $6k US is decent for a 4 yr warranty. And if it's exclusionary (they tell you what's not covered) it's better than the ones that are vague on coverage. I would say that's good peace of mind for 4 years

I bought two Jags as used CPO over the years and both times paid for 2-3 years extended warranty. It was not economically worth it in the end as I never had any major repairs. But it was worth to me for peace of mind. So I hear you

Post pictures of the car and I hope you love it. Mine is a 2017 model year. It's a great drive!
So did you end up with the 2017 or the 2018? It wasn't quite clear!
Thanks for the feedback. I went with the 2018 and am loving it so far, drives beautifully and packs a decent punch for the v6 380. I was on the lookout for an R but couldn't find any near by. Pic attached.

Last edited by hurlbz; 04-19-2023 at 09:22 PM. Reason: meant to quote
The following users liked this post:
djyankees31 (04-21-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:20 PM

I've owned a 2015 & 2016 F-Type S and currently own a 2018 R-Dynamic. My earlier F-Types were RWD and kinda spunky when it came to performance and handling. I loved their performance and handling. My 2018 is AWD and is more of a boulevard cruiser. In comparison to RWD, AWD in V6 F-Types drives heavy in an already heavy car.
Fair point. I plan on driving this year round and thought the AWD would handle better in all conditions. That being said AWS wasn't a must have for me, this is actually my first AWD all other vehicles have been RWD, coming from RWD with older vehicles and no traction control I will say that the car feels planted through the corners and I've got a lot of nice windy scenic roads around me it's been a pleasure to drive through.

Last edited by hurlbz; 04-19-2023 at 09:22 PM. Reason: meant to quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:03 AM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Congrats and welcome! And when you’re out of warranty, you can contact VAP and get it tuned so power level is closer to the R.