F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Buying out of state

I am curious to hear from all. How many of you purchased your Jag out of state? I have found two F Type S models that align with my wants, however one is 350 miles away, and the other 900. I have purchased a car out of state before (flew out on a business trip and saw the car while there, had it transported back), but that was 3 years ago.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:45 PM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

I was out of the country for work at the time of purchase, live in Jacksonville, FL, and bought from Charlotte, NC. I did my research on the dealership, and once the sales manager knew I was a serious buyer, he was more than accommodating to all my requests. Initially it was a little frustrating as is seemed he didn't want to put in the effort until he was sure he had a sale. That changed quickly once I sent him a small deposit. Once we agreed to the sale terms, I had to decide how to take ownership of the car. I could fly in there on my way back into the country, have my wife fly up and drive back, or have the dealership deliver. The dealership had regularly made deliveries of vehicles to Miami and could deliver to my driveway in an enclosed trailer for just $300. That was the best deal for me and the option I chose. The only real issue we had was a mistake and delay in the registration and title paperwork the dealership sent to Florida. We had to get a second temporary tag before the license and registration was completed. Outside of that, it wasn't a bad experience. I would recommend a reputable dealer and an enclosed trailer if being delivered. You don't want joyriders (ask for picture of odometer), and on an open trailer you're subject to sand and rocks.

The following users liked this post:
FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:51 PM
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was 2,200 miles away so definitely yes. If it wasn't December I would've tried to drive it home but P Zeros + snow belt = bad idea.

FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:53 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

We drove from Houston to Denver, approx 1000 miles each way, to trade in our Vette & picked up our F-type.
Nice beautiful drive.
Vehicle properly broken in by the time we arrived home.
Only unexpected were:
- Didn't realized that F-type did not had run-flat tires until we got back, lucky we didn't get stranded in the middle of nowhere without a tire repair/inflate kit.
- Need to get safety inspection myself first before going to DMV to pay state sales tax & registration fees

Would do it again, since these are very low volume vehicles, & had to travel to get the exact color, R, & convertible combo that I wanted....

FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:45 AM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Default I did

I live in So Cal and bought mine new from a dealer in Seattle. I flew up there and road tripped it back with my brother, who coincidentally lives in Seattle. The trip was great. I researched having it shipped but there are lots of horror stories out there so I passed on that.

That said, registering the car in CA was a gigantic pain in the **** and it took multiple DMV visits over months. I would never do it again but only because CA's DMV is terrible, terrible, terrible...

FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I bought in Rancho Mirage, Ca. and did deal over phone and web,even my trade. They used a service called Nations DMV at the time so I could take advantage of Nevada sales tax rules, a big savings. I drove in with my trade to finish deal. Only wrinkel was they couldn't turn over to me in Ca. I think a unique situation to this dealer. I drove a loaner back and their valet drove my car and we switched in Las Vegas, all cool.They are an all high line dealer so I wasn't concerned with the valet and I beat him to Vegas.

FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
I was out of the country for work at the time of purchase, live in Jacksonville, FL, and bought from Charlotte, NC. I did my research on the dealership, and once the sales manager knew I was a serious buyer, he was more than accommodating to all my requests. Initially it was a little frustrating as is seemed he didn't want to put in the effort until he was sure he had a sale. That changed quickly once I sent him a small deposit. Once we agreed to the sale terms, I had to decide how to take ownership of the car. I could fly in there on my way back into the country, have my wife fly up and drive back, or have the dealership deliver. The dealership had regularly made deliveries of vehicles to Miami and could deliver to my driveway in an enclosed trailer for just $300. That was the best deal for me and the option I chose. The only real issue we had was a mistake and delay in the registration and title paperwork the dealership sent to Florida. We had to get a second temporary tag before the license and registration was completed. Outside of that, it wasn't a bad experience. I would recommend a reputable dealer and an enclosed trailer if being delivered. You don't want joyriders (ask for picture of odometer), and on an open trailer you're subject to sand and rocks.
Thanks. I have used the enclosed trailer option on a prior purchase, and would be using the same company again for this.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:37 AM

Great feedback guys. It appears to be a normal practice for this car, much like when I purchased my Q60 Red Sport. I traveled to Denver from Florida to secure that specific model with the specs and color.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:16 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in PA. Bought mine in Missouri, sight unseen.

FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM
Received 151 Likes on 113 Posts

I live in Pittsburgh and bought mine in White Plains New York. Roughly 400 miles each way. The deal was too good to pass up.

FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:10 AM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

FType4Me, I do think it makes a difference if you are buying new or used and I'm not sure which direction you are leaning from your posts. A new vehicle should be pretty much worry free except for the logistics of getting it to your home in Florida. A used vehicle comes with it's share of previous baggage which may involve repair and title issues. I live in Maine and searched for a used F-Type for three months before I found the color, price, options, history, warranty and mileage I was looking for. Finally found the perfect car for me at a Jaguar dealership in Mobile, AL and flew down and drove it the 1600 miles back to Maine. The dealership staff was excellent throughout the process with any documentation, photos and videos I requested prior to my departure to help with my comfort level. They also picked me up at the airport, treated me to lunch and gave me an F-Type R for a loaner until I was ready to depart because I needed clear weather back to Maine due to the summer tires.

Prior to finding the Alabama car, I personally checked out used F-Types in Pennsylvania, New York and Connecticut which I decided to pass on so be patient with your shopping approach and don't pull the trigger if it's not close what you're pursuing. If you do choose a used F-Type, I recommend finding it at a Jaguar dealership if possible and I would also insure it has at least 6 months of remaining warranty to resolve any issues that may arise in the near future. It helps (but not necessary) if the vehicle you purchase was actually sold, serviced and traded at the same dealership and also be aware of previous auction sales and potential damage not reported to Carfax. If you don't drive it home, the enclosed trailer is worth the extra expense especially if it's a long distance transport just as others on here have advised. Good luck!

Last edited by Portlander; 04-10-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Portlander
FType4Me, I do think it makes a difference if you are buying new or used and I'm not sure which direction you are leaning from your posts. A new vehicle should be pretty much worry free except for the logistics of getting it to your home in Florida. A used vehicle comes with it's share previous baggage which may involve repair and title issues. I live in Maine and searched for a used F-Type for three months before I found the color, price, options, history, warranty and mileage I was looking for. Finally found the perfect car for me at a Jaguar dealership in Mobile, AL and flew down and drove it the 1600 miles back to Maine. The dealership staff was excellent throughout the process with any documentation, photos and videos I requested prior to my departure to help with my comfort level. They also picked me up at the airport, treated me to lunch and gave me an F-Type R for a loaner until I was ready to depart because I needed clear weather back to Maine due to the summer tires.

Prior to finding the Alabama car, I personally checked out used F-Types in Pennsylvania, New York and Connecticut which I decided to pass on so be patient with your shopping approach and don't pull the trigger if it's not close what you're pursuing. If you do choose a used F-Type, I recommend finding it at a Jaguar dealership if possible and I would also insure it has at least 6 months of remaining warranty to resolve any issues that may arise in the near future. It helps (but not necessary) if the vehicle you purchase was actually sold, serviced and traded at the same dealership and also be aware of previous auction sales and potential damage not reported to Carfax. If you don't drive it home, the enclosed trailer is worth the extra expense especially if it's a long distance transport just as others on here have advised. Good luck!

Buying used... 2017 F Type S and will be using the enclosed trailer option.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I just did this a few weeks ago. After 6 months of looking daily and being patient I realized that if I limited my choice to what was physically "close" I'd never find anything near what I was looking for. So I pulled the trigger on a car in Dallas from here in Northern VA (~1300 miles). After putting down a refundable deposit of $1000 (not a down payment) the salesman was fairly accommodating although he could not pull the car off the website until my financing was complete as per policy. Fair enough though. I made plans to fly down to see the car but when the airlines started shutting down my trip got delayed. Not wanting to lose the car, I bought it without a test drive or in-person inspection. HOWEVER - I was comfortable with this based on 1) the car was a CPO and still has 3.5 years left on the warranty 2) mileage < 11,000 3) dealer reputation - as best I could determine 4) all my questions were answered satisfactorily 5) salesman was very willing to take and provide specific detailed pictures of things I asked for. Even though we completed the sale prior, I still flew down to drive and inspect the car before shipping to assess condition, test everything, and to identify any problems. I found none and had the car shipped up in an enclosed carrier. So far so good. The only minor admin issue is with the registration - the dealer uses a 3rd party to handle out-of-state paperwork (they make 50 OOS sale per month) and that has been dragging a bit - partially due to COVID. But they gave me a 60-day temp tag and I don't 'anticipate any problems. The experience was nerve wracking at times but the little voice in my head never said "this is a bad idea". Your mileage may vary but that's my story. I am very satisfied with the car and glad I pounced on it - I love it!

The following 2 users liked this post by Clutch:
16fnrbrg (04-16-2020), FType4Me (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 12:22 PM

Ironically one of the cars I loved when I first began my search was at a dealer that had awful reviews, so I didn't bother to pursue further.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Same here - there a low mileage red MT coupe right up the road in PA but every single written thing I could find about that dealership was terrible - not a single positive. So I called - had to leave a message - where I said I'm a serious and ready buyer - and got no call back. Needless to say I dropped that pursuit, no matter how tempting the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Clutch:
FType4Me (04-10-2020), slipstream (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found mine while searching on the internet one day; I was in MD and the car was in IL. Picked it up and drove it to Oklahoma, completely sight unseen - which, having done this 2x now, I would not recommend; too good of a deal to pass up though. There were a few challenges as the car had <400 miles over the ~3 years it had been at the dealership, but overall the 700 mile journey was great. Most annoying challenge - a piece of internal 'trim' between the right rear hatch door and body had come loose and would flap around when wind hit it just right. Also, the stereo sounded awful. Both fixed, but I am still not convinced the stereo is 100%, the speakers rattle and have not pushed it hard at all - still sounds MASSIVELY better than when I picked the car up (have read a couple of posts about Meridian challenges but without hijacking the thread would appreciate any feedback here). Had I purchased local, would have addressed this prior, but the only one local to me was so much higher priced it made ZERO sense to not fly on miles, pick the car up, and (2) tanks of gas later have the car home.

FType4Me (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 11:44 AM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I purchased a lightly-used f type out of state, and it has honestly been a bit of a headache, although some of that was due to unique circumstances and fairly obvious current events.

I paid for the car sight unseen in early March, with plans to drive the car home from Missouri to California. The vehicle made it to northern texas before suffering a mechanical failure. After limping the car to Jaguar of Albuquerque and learning the car would need a new front differential, I was forced to abandon the drive and fly home.

Fortunately however, I am happy to report my customer experience with Jaguar has been nothing short of fantastic. Not only was the car fully repaired under warranty, my travel expenses are eligible for reimbursement under Jag's trip interruption program. They were even able to reunite me with the vehicle free of charge 2 days after the repairs were complete!

I'm sitting on expired registration tags and an incomplete title transfer at the moment, and who knows how long it will be before the DMVs are back up and running here. But at least the car is in the garage, and oh boy is it a blast to drive

Not trying to dissuade you from purchasing out of state by any means, just know that (particularly right now) your results may vary

FType4Me (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 11:46 AM

With most of the country shut down, now might a great time to do empty freeway cross country driving & test out that 200+ mph odo....

FType4Me (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:02 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Bought my F-Type from a dealer across State lines...I went over to look the car over and make sure I could tolerate the color combination. They beat me up on the deal and FORCED me...yes FORCED me...to take a deal for ~$34K off of sticker. They flat-bedded the vehicle to my house and took care of the filing of paperwork for the Texas tags.

FType4Me (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Bought my F-Type from a dealer across State lines...I went over to look the car over and make sure I could tolerate the color combination. They beat me up on the deal and FORCED me...yes FORCED me...to take a deal for ~$34K off of sticker. They flat-bedded the vehicle to my house and took care of the filing of paperwork for the Texas tags.
Awesome.
Thought I made the best deal at $27K off a few yrs ago.
Can u pls give more details about your deal, as my wife's interested in a Jag sedan
Thanks,

FType4Me (04-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Buying out of state