F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hell Cat
I purchased a lightly-used f type out of state, and it has honestly been a bit of a headache, although some of that was due to unique circumstances and fairly obvious current events.

I paid for the car sight unseen in early March, with plans to drive the car home from Missouri to California. The vehicle made it to northern texas before suffering a mechanical failure. After limping the car to Jaguar of Albuquerque and learning the car would need a new front differential, I was forced to abandon the drive and fly home.

Fortunately however, I am happy to report my customer experience with Jaguar has been nothing short of fantastic. Not only was the car fully repaired under warranty, my travel expenses are eligible for reimbursement under Jag's trip interruption program. They were even able to reunite me with the vehicle free of charge 2 days after the repairs were complete!

I'm sitting on expired registration tags and an incomplete title transfer at the moment, and who knows how long it will be before the DMVs are back up and running here. But at least the car is in the garage, and oh boy is it a blast to drive

Not trying to dissuade you from purchasing out of state by any means, just know that (particularly right now) your results may vary

Wow, beautiful car and amazing story. What was the cause for the mechanical breakdown?

Old 04-14-2020, 02:11 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FType4Me
Wow, beautiful car and amazing story. What was the cause for the mechanical breakdown?
Thank you!

They were unsure as to the cause; the dealer I purchased the vehicle from (who was terrible to do business with, incidentally) had indicated the previous owner hit a pothole at freeway speeds hard enough to replace a wheel. My best guess is this incident damaged something relating to the diff that went undiagnosed, and was then revealed after putting the better part of 800 miles on it over 24 hours.

That aside, it is a fabulously ferocious piece of engineering. I do not regret the purchase.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Awesome.
Thought I made the best deal at $27K off a few yrs ago.
Can u pls give more details about your deal, as my wife's interested in a Jag sedan
Thanks,
Mine was $33,5k off sticker in March - unsold inventory. I looked around on the internet with no real intent and found. Curious as well to negotiating details - looking for (2) years old new cars is likely not the most efficient way forward

Old 04-14-2020, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

I bought both of current models out of state (both from Rosenthal near DC). One was used; the other was new. The dealer was happy to do an airport pick up and I drove them home. The only minor issue I had was picking up the F-Type on a Friday night after the Service Dept was closed. A bad sensor was calling out that the hood wasn't latched, so I had a red warning light and couldn't lock the car until I got home and replaced the sensor on Monday.

On the rest of the fleet, the VR4 came from a private seller in MD. (I flew into BWI with a briefcase full of cash.)
The 911 came from an investment banker in CT. My wife had a concert the following week, so she took delivery (from his wife) and drove it around for a week during rehearsals.

Outbound, I've sold cars that went to Kansas, West Virginia, LA, and even British Columbia. (The last 2 were trucked.)

Old 04-14-2020, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

With most of the country shut down, now might a great time to do empty freeway cross country driving & test out that 200+ mph odo....
I didn't get past 186. Sorry to disappoint.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

I bought all three of my Jags from interstate and had them trucked over to me with zero problems.
Of course that is in Oz and can't be directly compared to North America.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default impressive but i just nudged you too

Awesome.
Can u pls give more details about your deal, as my wife's interested in a Jag sedan
Thanks,
in late october 2019 i bought what i think was the last new 2018 F Type R left in the country for 31k under msrp. mine probably sat on the lot for longer than yours so i'll take an asterisk.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I didn't get past 186. Sorry to disappoint.
Time for a pulley and tune.

The following users liked this post:
uncheel (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Awesome.
Thanks,
As much as anything else, it was a 2016 still on the lot going into Q4 of 2017. Since it was about to be two model years old, they were motivated. The surprise for me was that there were not more people looking for a manual-equipped coupe AND who were willing to travel to get the sale closed and add the car to their selection of fun.

The color combination suggests to me that it was a special order that someone chose not to take final delivery upon. I don't think it was one a dealership would have ordered on their own to have in the inventory.

Even better, for me, what that it was an early-enough 2016 that it qualified for the replacement clutch under warranty...

Old 04-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Worked for me, since the salesman was very helpful, even recommending transporters they had used successfully. Also he arranged and monitored the loading -- I had ordered upper level of the truck to avoid rock chips. It was a CPO from Florida, with 932 miles, and all the features on my shopping list. I would do it again.