Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used F-Type 3.0 cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a used F-Type 3.0 cabrio

Dear forum members,

I'm thinking about buying an used F-Type Cabrio with supercharged V6 3.0 engine and about 80.000 km of distance travelled. However, I've heard all sorts of different opinions on reliability of those cars. What can I expect from such vehicle in terms of reliability? I plan to use it as secondary fun-car, only for summer use, and I'm planning to take it to authorized Jaguar service for pre-buy checkup.

Alternatively, I would look for a Porsche Boxster. I personally like both these cars, but got a really nice offer on a F-Type. However, while I'm sure that Boxsters can easily go up to 200-300k km, I'm kinda afraid about the Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 07:58 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Porsche makes a damn good car in my opinion. I have owned 2 911's and when prices come down to reality I hope to add a Cayman S to my garage with the F Type R. And although resale should not be the primary reason to buy or not but the Porsche will always have better resale as well. I almost bought another 911 S (2012) before buying the F Type. That was just prior to the insane escalation of used car prices. If I would have bought the Porsche that car is now worth about $20k more than I would have paid for it. Sadly my Jaguar I think is worth about what I paid for it when I bought it used.

I think if you search the forums you will see similar questions asked on reliability. Personally with mine I have had really no issues but again only driven 3,000 miles since I bought it about 1.5 years ago.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:26 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The rumours about Jaguar reliability are much exaggerated, IMO. The F-Type is my fourth Jag and all have been no less reliable than any other car I've had, and a lot better than some! I suspect most comments about unreliability are made by people with no experience but who have memories of the bad old British Leyland days. inevitably, some Jags may be unreliable (as are those from other manufacturers), but it's by no means a common occurrence.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

The myth about Jaguars being unreliable is indeed spread by those who have no direct experience of them. I’ll tell the (true) story once more because it is typical: filling the fuel tank of my F-Type one day, I noted a new BMW SUV pull along the other side of the fuel island. A woman got out of the BMW and a few seconds later she told me that my car was beautiful. I thanked her and agreed. She then asked what make it was. The rest is verbatim:

”It is a Jaguar F-Type.”
”Oh…I’ve always loved the way Jaguars look but I’ve been told that they *stop in the middle of nowhere for no reason*.” (Her exact words).

So tired of hearing comments like this, I responded “That is a myth spread by BMW owners”….a bit rude, I admit. And that ended the conversation.

I have owned many (and I mean many) Jaguars, most of them for long periods of time, and always more than one or two at a time (what can I say? It’s an obsession, the disease for which you want no cure…). We have one at present (an X-type) that we have used daily, never garaged, for the past 18 years. It has been super-reliable and that has been our overall experience with a variety of Jaguar models. My experience with BMW has been, uhm….not the same. I am a recovering BMW owner. Never again.

Jaguars, properly serviced, are every bit as reliable as other luxury makes, but they offer something quite intangible which their rivals cannot and do not offer. As Packard used to say: “Ask a man that owns one”.

Last edited by sov211; 02-21-2022 at 01:42 AM.
scm (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I have said it before but my 2014 F-Type V6S is the most reliable and trouble free car I have ever owned, now at 70,6xx km.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:07 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

It's pretty bizarre that those reliability myths live on but a good example of how hard a bad reputation can stick. It feels pretty much like an old uninformed man thing to bang on about bad Jaguar reliability, not to mention jokes about Lucas electrics which might have been relevant decades ago.

I also get the impression that this issue is most common in the US / North America. There just seems to be much more of an obsession about perceived reliability, however that's defined, in that part of the world whereas over here in Europe I think car buyers have other priorities. Maybe that's also why Asian cars are so enormously common in the US compared to Europe.

Anyways as said, although modern Jags do have their niggles they overall seem to be no less reliable than their competition.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
It's pretty bizarre that those reliability myths live on
Another example: On our other British car (1980s vintage) other car addicts ask "Aren't those Lucas electrics just AWFUL?" and I have to tell them that its the Bosch stuff that causes most of the issues!

Old 02-21-2022, 07:20 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

However, if the myth is widely exposed, Jags will cease to be automotive bargains on the used market, so don't shout it too loud!

Old 02-21-2022, 07:29 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
However, if the myth is widely exposed, Jags will cease to be automotive bargains on the used market, so don't shout it too loud!
Exactly my thoughts! Those weird myths contribute to F-Types seeming like a brave and exotic choice, which is good for exclusivity and bang for the buck for us who truly know these cars.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:09 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

At that mileage I’d look to see if the Coolant pipe has been replaced yet

Other less urgent things include injector cleaning and Motor Mount replacement. Otherwise pretty reliable

Old 02-21-2022, 08:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Shame about reliability legends

I think it is a great shame that these legends of unreliability persist. I had way more problems with my BMW Z4 that eventually was written off due to an inexplicable case of spontaneous combustion while parked in my garage.

My F Type has not only been completely reliable, but my Jaguar dealer has provided fantastic service as well as dealt with any minor 'niggles' without any hesitation. Unfortunately JLR has a history of poor dealerships particularly in the USA which has helped exacerbate the reliability and quality myths.

Like most other vehicles, a properly maintained jag will last a lifetime, I had over 200,000 miles on my XJS before I sold it and it was still in great shape - despite having a poor reliability reputation.

If you like the car and its price is right, get it properly inspected - then just buy it.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really varies by car. I'd budget for the usual suspects but if you don't get what probably should have been a lemon (there aren't many) it will last you for years. I'd probably just plan to replace the y-pipe under the manifold if it hasn't been done already. Water pump as needed but plan for it to be a wear item. I know in the early cars it seemed like 40k miles was about where my indie said just do it and save the headache of it later.

I had the good luck of my HPFP's being under warranty as they weren't performing to Jaguar's specs. They replaced both free of charge but it would have cost a fair bit to have it done.

Mine also had the boost sensor go out around 40k miles. Jaguar wanted over 1k for the job. Took me 15 minutes and a $40 part. Right on top of the engine and easy to access.

It's been more work than my Boxster for sure (100k miles and at least a few track days a year since new). Changed the oil and that was it to 100k.

Old 02-21-2022, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys for all the answers!!!

I'm just gonna go ahead and buy the cat then. Got an authorized service check-up scheduled, and if everything is allright, I should get my first cabrio in two weeks

Best regards!

Old 02-21-2022, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Good! But remember that it IS a used car…and every used car, of whatever marque, should be carefully and professionally examined for possible wear/failure items. If you expect to do some “updating” at purchase, you won’t fall into the swamp of disappointment.

scm (02-22-2022)