F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used F-type R

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 05:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buying a used F-type R

First post because I think I’m going to buy an F-type. Narrowed it down to 2017-2019 convertible R. I know it’s a broad topic but hoping for advice on what to look out for when going through a used F-type. Any advice would be appreciated. It’s going to be used in the summer and stored in the winter if that makes a difference.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

If you're going to include 2017, you might as well include 2016. There is no difference.

Most Rs are loaded, so no need to worry about options unless it is something unusual. All Rs came with the performance seats, 20" wheels, vision, package and host of other options. The only things I can think of that would be nice beyond what usually there are:

Cooled seats. 2018 was the first year of this option
Extended leather. It looks nicer having the leather up around the top of the windshield.
Suede dash. More a looks thing, but I like it.
Black pack is a personal preference. Blacked out vents and window trim.
Carbon Ceramic Brakes. Not a common option. It was $12,000 and included forged wheels. This would be a nice to have, but very few on the secondary market.

If I were you, I decide what color combos you like and then narrow your search there. There are a lot of color choices, some of which are just amazing in person. The different colors of interiors and tops can really add to it, too. You will find a lot with low miles as many people use them as second cars and just don't drive them. I wouldn't be afraid of a nationwide search and a road trip would be a lot of fun. Often someone on the board would be willing to take a look at one if it's far away from you.

I love mine, but it's an eyes wide open thing. There are cars that are more comfortable, cars that are faster and cars that are better on paper. There is a very limited aftermarket supply if you want to personalize or tune the cars. I'm on my second F-Type. My first was a coupe and with the pandemic and much more limited driving, I decided a convertible would be more fun. I could have easily gone with an M850 (it was a strong contender), an Aston Martin or a host of other cars. The Jag just speaks to me in a way the other cars did not.

Last edited by eeeeek; 11-22-2022 at 07:23 PM. Reason: edited 1200 to 12000
Old 11-22-2022, 06:38 PM

12-13-2020, 08:09 PM

SinF
Veteran Member
Received 2,131 Likes on 1,458 Posts
[img]/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif[/img]All F-types are reasonably reliable, but 2017 and later have updated coolant pipes.

Thx Vic:
I read this on the forum so that is why I was looking at 2017 forward. F-types are new to me so maybe this is not the case or it’s nothing to worry about. There is a British racing green one in Portland that I like and a red one that’s nice in Long Island. Wish there was something closer to Southwest Michigan…would make life easier.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:20 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default F-Type R Convertible?

I began with a used ‘16 F-Type V6 base (rwd) conv. white on black, 25k mi. Had for two driving seasons, garaged during winter. Beautiful car. Great sounding. Never an issue.

Traded up to an ‘18 R Convertible with mileage in high 20’s. Southern car, silicon silver (more like champagne) on black. A lot of trouble with malfunctioning or non-functioning top. In for repairs three times before they located and replaced the correct motor. So be sure the top works flawlessly—check its operation several times!! It was otherwise a great car, fun to drive. It had park assist, which is cool, and all other options except AEB, which I had assumed it had when I drove it off the lot, because AEB first became available on F-Type in 2018. In checking features later, discovered there was no AEB! Found out that AEB was added mid-production in 2018, and mine was manufactured before it was added as a standard feature with the R. Drove during one winter, though only on snowless roads (I live in WNY). Traded after 10 months for a ‘21 R coupe, Firenze Red on black, successor to the SVR, and my favorite F-Type to date by far. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2022, 08:14 PM

Ended up flying out to Long Island and picking up a 2018 R convertible Red on black with 6,700 miles on it. Only downside was it was too cold to put the top down on the ride back to Michigan.
Looking forward to taking it out in spring.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DNAer
Ended up flying out to Long Island and picking up a 2018 R convertible Red on black with 6,700 miles on it. Only downside was it was too cold to put the top down on the ride back to Michigan.
Looking forward to taking it out in spring.

Make sure you get and install a CTEK (or similar) battery minder. These wonderful cars have voracious power appetites to feed the many modules. When they do not get properly fed they can throw a tantrum…meaning malfunctioning or nonfunctioning modules, random warning lights, dark touchscreen…it can be anything. For any and every electrical/electronic issue, the battery is always the first suspect, even when this may seem illogical.
But when the battery is kept fully charged always…well, the F-Type is sublime. You will love it.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Good advice from Gregory on the CTEK and I'd recommend installing a permanent pigtail in the car for easy connection.

I'd also look around for a "Smart Top" module - either used or from the manufacturer. Not as functionally critical, but it's great being able to raise/lower the top, lock/unlock the car, and configure some of the car's setting automatically.

Enjoy!

Old 12-11-2022, 10:45 AM

Thx for the advice. I had read about the modules being power hungry so it’s on a NOCO Genius for the duration. I’m not familiar with the “Smart Top” module. I have had quite a few Audi’s and have the VAG software and cable…is this similar?