Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzdave's 2015 V8R Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Buzzdave's 2015 V8R Build Thread

Hello one and all,
I bought my 2015 F-type R coupe in June of this year. It's an Italian Racing Red, with black leather and red jet stitching. Its been quite some years since I had a car that I liked from every angle and would just stand and stare at sometimes

Here kitty

I chose the '15 V8R very specifically for its RWD and beautiful metallic red color. I was worried that it might run a bit dark and lean towards burgundy, which is not a color I like, but it hasn't been a problem. I live in a very sunny place, so the bright light is always showing the best the color can give.

It's already been an adventure!
I tried an online-only car dealer that promotes its high quality inventory and an extensive inspection process. I'd never done this before, but I love the concept and decided to give it a try (why not on a Camry, you ask). Buying a used supercar online is a dicey proposition, but I wanted to believe it could work and I was "too busy" to fly to the dealer to have a look. I'm still a believer, but at the very least, I'd pay for a 3rd party inspection, as this dealer's promised inspection quality failed muster.

Vroom

The beast had only 9,250 miles on the odometer when it was delivered, but I unfortunately discovered after the fact that it had a small transmission fluid drip. I doubt the dealer knew about this, but I'm sure the dealer's lot crew would have seen the cat marking its spot. If/when the dealer did their multi-point inspection, they would have seen the signs. I have a lift, and I've seen the result of plenty of fluid leaks. When I racked up the F, I could see oily fluid residue on the underpanels and the rear crossmember (black steel) showed the corrosive effects and road grime build up you normally see when a slow fluid leak seeps out and coats those rear components.

So, after literally one day of driving, the transmission dumped its fluid and threw a gearbox fault. I called JLR's concierge service and off it went to cross the mountain pass and spend some time at the veterinary hospital. Dealer tested the transmission and/or fluid and quickly determined it required a new gearbox. The warranty replacement went without incident or cost. I only lost a few weeks time - JLR and the dealer were perfectly professional in handling this event and I thankfully avoided a very large expense.

I've only put 2k miles on the car since I purchased it, and they have been glorious fun! Alas, the car threw a check engine light on my last outing, so I immediately bought a code reader. Apparently one of the Fuel Pressure Sensors has decided to go rogue and begin reporting values outside of the "Learning Range" of the ECU. Dealer confirmed this and now it sits again, as the replacement sensor in question is backordered. The car is now out of JLR warranty so this little blip will cost me a cool $1000 ($650 for the sensor and replacement, $250 for a rental car). Still under dealer warranty, so let's see how that goes once I get the bill.

In any case, this is a build thread and I intend to do a build! The early issues have shaken my confidence, but I bought a car with essentially no warranty for this purpose. I set aside the additional budget for this and will forge ahead!

"So as an intrepid explorer once told me, all you really need is a credit card and a toothbrush."

The following 4 users liked this post by Buzzdave:
Don1954 (07-31-2018), Mbourne (07-28-2018), mrjohnt (07-29-2018), WayneB (07-29-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Thumbs up VAP mods planned

While the car has spent more time in the shop than on the road, I've started the build where I can.

I've been coordinating with Stuart at VAP to arrange the installation of the following VAP bits:
VAP tune + overdrive pulley
200 cell high flow cats
Cat-back VAP exhaust
VAP lowering springs

I plan to take it up to Stuart myself at some point soon for installation, as I am fortunate to live only a few hours drive from there

Later this season, I'll drop it with VAP for some cool custom bits we are planning. I won't comment on what these mods will be yet, but I want to go after some items I frequently read about here on the forum!

Old 07-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Default Build Theme: making the F an Exotic

I've seen some debate about whether this car qualifies as an exotic. Having driven many Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, Porsches, etc. I can say that No, I don't feel its an exotic. However, it's performance at all levels is absolutely supercar level and it brings fantastic looks, sounds and comfort. With a lower price tag, its also considerably less stressful to take places, park, hand off to valets, etc.

2018 Lamborghini Huracan Spyder

Driving in the hills of Monaco

My build theme will try to bring more of an exotic flavor to the F type. Exotics have a sense of occasion when they are driven, and scream for attention both visually and audibly. I think the F type could make a great exotic contender. The F sounds amazing and the implementation of pops and cracks is more satisfying than the 5x more expensive Lamborghini I recently drove. The F has more horsepower (post tune) than the Lambo and much more torque, so it "feels" faster. In the aero department, the F type is much weaker and its noticeable.

Ferrari 488 Spider

488 Spider in Dubai

So, how to make the F more exotic?
  • Sonically, I love the sounds the F type makes. However, an exotic car is often more radical, so this build will attempt to increase the good sounds this thing makes both front and rear.
  • Suspension will be lowered to achieve more of that low slung track-ready look. It also visually "widens" the car and enhances that massive rear stance.
  • Visually, an easy target are wheels and fitment. This is the first thing I've begun - new wheel build is underway with a better flush fitment. More on that in next post.
  • Aero is another thing that can make or break the exotic look and performance. Unfortunately there's not a huge selection out there, but I'm looking for a rear wing that is not ridiculous and perhaps something to do with a front splitter and rear fascia. Under-aero isn't visible, but can dramatically tie the front & rear aero together. This would no doubt be 100% custom.
  • Interior-wise, one thing I love to see and feel in exotic cars is alcantara suede leather. This particular F has a smooth (shiny) leather wheel which becomes slippery as my hands sweat when driving it hard. Rather than be "that guy" with the fingerless driving gloves, I'm interested in getting the steering wheel and seat inserts done in suede. Potentially I'd do the dash, although I really like how the dash looks at this point.
If you have any "exotic" ideas for my F type build, please let me know!

Old 07-28-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Buzzdave,
To make your F-type feel more exotic to you, just keep parking it next to the Lambo. The Lambo's so ugly (as are all Lambos) that the F-types exotic looks make it seem even better. And by the way, your car is gorgeous and the only true color for a sports car. Enjoy. I've just gone through a nearly 4 year restoration/modification of my red sports car and getting it back this coming week. It's in the shop parked next to a Lambo Gallardo and a La Ferrari, and I still think it's better looking. (It's a Ferrari Red '72 De Tomaso Pantera) I think the F-type is one of the most graceful, sensual sports cars of the last 20 years. Good luck with your build projects.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
Buzzdave,
To make your F-type feel more exotic to you, just keep parking it next to the Lambo. The Lambo's so ugly (as are all Lambos) that the F-types exotic looks make it seem even better. And by the way, your car is gorgeous and the only true color for a sports car. Enjoy. I've just gone through a nearly 4 year restoration/modification of my red sports car and getting it back this coming week. It's in the shop parked next to a Lambo Gallardo and a La Ferrari, and I still think it's better looking. (It's a Ferrari Red '72 De Tomaso Pantera) I think the F-type is one of the most graceful, sensual sports cars of the last 20 years. Good luck with your build projects.
I have to agree with you on the Lambo's looks. They are bold in their design but always ridiculous in their extremes. If I ever pull the trigger on an exotic, it's likely to be a Ferrari. Always just had a special place for me - a better example of the Italian design language of feminine and masculine
The problem is, when you can finally truly afford to own and operate one of these things, you've probably done a fair bit of investing and wealth management, which basically screams, "Don't do it! - terrible investment!"

Old 07-28-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
It's a Ferrari Red '72 De Tomaso Pantera
Fantastic car - hope it turns out to be everything you've been working and waiting for!

The following users liked this post:
tberg (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 08:57 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Like your choice of F Type and colour, although I may be biased as it's identical to mine.
Coincidentally my F Type R RWD also had 9300 miles when I became its second owner a year ago. I have 30000 miles on now and haven't had any problems except one minor (sat nav antenna replacement).

Hope you have lots of enjoyment driving and modifying ir.
I agree completely that however much I enjoy the performance, looks, comfort and practicality of it as a daily driver it could never be considered an exotic.

That said where I live (UK) I may see one F type a month typically and V8 versions even less frequently.

Last edited by Paul_59; 07-29-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Great color choice! IRR is honestly the best color you can get.
Do you have service records when the last oil change/service was done?
When I picked mine up, the oil change was completed, but the first service (which is free) was not completed. I had the JLR dealer do another oil change and the service right off the bat. I would suggest doing the same just to be sure.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:28 PM
Default Wheels Build Up: Progress Pics

The wheels I chose are 3 piece milled from forged aluminum and hand assembled here in the US by COR. They do a lot of custom wheels for exotics. They've done a few sets of these already, so I know the fitment will be perfect. The car in the picture is on lowering springs, so I'm confident I'll get this look exactly.

COR Turbina Super Concave 3 piece forged, floating spoke with hidden hardware

Here's some progress pics of the forgings being milled into wheel spokes - you can see how they float on the outer step lip barrel.

CNC Milling the Spokes

Before & After Lathe and Milling Process

I hope to get more progress pics from Chris at COR, but these things are probably in final assembly by now

Mbourne (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzdave
The wheels I chose are 3 piece milled from forged aluminum and hand assembled here in the US by COR. They do a lot of custom wheels for exotics. They've done a few sets of these already, so I know the fitment will be perfect. The car in the picture is on lowering springs, so I'm confident I'll get this look exactly...

I hope to get more progress pics from Chris at COR, but these things are probably in final assembly by now
Very nice!

Old 07-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I think converting to the black pack would look nice.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
JgaXkr (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I would hate it if someone posted pics of their car in my build thread. Just food for thought.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Reading his thread, it seems those are some of the aero parts he would be interested in

Old 08-02-2018, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by RawwR
I think converting to the black pack would look nice.
I'm torn - I kind of like the chrome trim (for now). Normally I'd go straight for the black on red or black on white combos. I decided I like the shine for now, and might black it out when I need more change

Old 08-02-2018, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by John Jones
Reading his thread, it seems those are some of the aero parts he would be interested in
I actually don't see *any* aero parts in the pic. The hood is cool though

I'm looking at the Piecha stuff and there are some interesting (but expensive!) bits.

I'd really like to find a rear wing that somehow incorporates the existing spoiler. It would be cool if the rear wing was more "complete" when the spoiler lifts up.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzdave
I actually don't see *any* aero parts in the pic. The hood is cool though

I'm looking at the Piecha stuff and there are some interesting (but expensive!) bits.

I'd really like to find a rear wing that somehow incorporates the existing spoiler. It would be cool if the rear wing was more "complete" when the spoiler lifts up.
I look forward to seeing what you do with this build!

BTW, I'll probably be selling my GT Carbon wing in the next month or two if I move forward with the GT3 build. It was just recently professionally paint gloss black to look more OEM+. In case youre interested, here is what it looks like:

Old 08-11-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by FR500GT
I look forward to seeing what you do with this build!

BTW, I'll probably be selling my GT Carbon wing in the next month or two if I move forward with the GT3 build. It was just recently professionally paint gloss black to look more OEM+. In case youre interested, here is what it looks like:

Man that looks awesome. I think this is the best wing option out there at the moment.
Consider me very interested

- HOWEVER -

The car is in the shop still, suffering from a difficult to diagnose fuel pressure problem. First, the thing threw a code related to fuel pressure sensors reading hi/low. Dealer recommended swapping out fuel rail pressure sensor. Did that. No fix. Now dealer recommends replacing fuel pumps and fuel lines...

I have an option to return the car to the dealer and I'm seriously considering it. This would give me an opportunity to re-roll the dice and try for a better example. I don't know what I give up if I return the car (in terms of $$$), but in about 3.5 months of ownership its spent more time away than in my driveway.

Will update soon...

Old 08-24-2018, 05:29 PM
Default COR Turbina Wheels arrived!

New 21" COR Turbina's shod w/Michelin PS4S tires in 305's and 255's.
I don't have the car, but I got the wheels
I expect the F to be out of the F'ing shop by next week. Already ordered a set of VAP springs from Stuart too.

Hopefully we'll see what these things look like on the car in about a week or so.

21" COR Turbina with spokes that float!

Super concave, 305 rear

3 piece forged aluminum, hand assembled at COR

Old 08-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Wow nice. Can't wait to see those on the car. They almost don't look strong enough....very airy.

Quick Reply: Buzzdave's 2015 V8R Build Thread