F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing sound coming from storage bin at 2,000 RPM driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Buzzing sound coming from storage bin at 2,000 RPM driving me crazy

Wondering if anyone else has a noisy center storage bin, especially around 2,000-2,500 RPM. I have tried putting foam between the outside portion of the center stack/back carpet wall as well and used a business card and foam as a shim inside the storage bin but to no avail.

I am also exp a squeaking sound from my front drivers side wheel when at speeds of less than 10 miles per hour. I happens about 40% of the time, which makes me even crazier. Have taken this issue up with the dealer and they said they needed to re-mount the wire harness for the brakes, but that has not worked. I have had the car for 2 1/2 years now, but these small issues are making me consider saying bye to it if they can't be resolved. I'm becoming OCD over it.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

The buzzing noise has been talked about many times. it more than likely the A/C compressor lines that are vibrating.

do a search on the forum

Old 12-20-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by zach05855
The buzzing noise has been talked about many times. it more than likely the A/C compressor lines that are vibrating.

do a search on the forum
The a/c compresser lines run under or near the storage cubby between the seatbacks? The only way I can mute it to a very low level is when I place my right elbow with fairly light applied pressure over the cubby door.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts
Old 02-23-2016, 01:03 AM

The buzzing noise is not due to the AC lines, it seems to be coming from the latch of the rear center storage bin on the convertible. I am wondering if anyone else has a similar buzz/vibration sound coming from exactly the same area of their car. I hear it the most when accelerating between 2 and 3,000 rpm and when giving slight throttle when cruising. Placing various foam pieces around the latch has not worked, yet placing my right elbow on the storage bin with light pressure eliminates this buzz sound. I am trying to figure out what to use to simulate the same thing. Any ideas would be of help.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Probably (maybe) resonance from the exhaust setting things in motion? In my (non f-type) car, exhaust resonance is almost severe enough to make coins jump out of the ashtray(!).

Your arm pressure is clearly preventing whatever is buzzing from moving.

(Gently) tighten all screws in the area.

EDIT: OK, found a pic. There are a few things that could buzz...

I'd try putting some electrical tape (maybe wind a couple of times) around the metal part in the pic below and see if that helps - it may dampen any metal to metal buzzing between that part and the part that grabs it. If not, the rest of the mechanism looks like it could potentially buzz - as a test some electrical tape on the other side may hold whatever is buzzing.

Last edited by mshedden; 02-23-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
The buzzing noise is not due to the AC lines, it seems to be coming from the latch of the rear center storage bin on the convertible. I am wondering if anyone else has a similar buzz/vibration sound coming from exactly the same area of their car. I hear it the most when accelerating between 2 and 3,000 rpm and when giving slight throttle when cruising. Placing various foam pieces around the latch has not worked, yet placing my right elbow on the storage bin with light pressure eliminates this buzz sound. I am trying to figure out what to use to simulate the same thing. Any ideas would be of help.
YES
I had this problem, and haven't fully resolved it. Initially, I would hear the buzzing at exactly 2k rpm. It would only last for the moment I was on 2k rpm, then go away. I took it in to the dealer, where they, of course, replaced expensive thingys, then figured out it was just loose components in the storage bin area.
Sadly, even then, they did not fully resolve it. I still hear the buzzing sound, although it is now less frequent and appears in different rpm frequencies. I think I will take the car in again soon.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:21 PM

Yesterday I bought some 1/4"h x 1/2"w foam window seal from Ace with a self-adhesive backing. I placed two strips on each side of the drop down portion of the bin and one smaller piece along the top. The storage bin will lock in place, although opening it involves a bit of light prying. This seems to mute the buzzing sound by 50% or so. I could be more, but when you get so fixated on something, you think you still hear it..lol.
I may try a piece of electrical tape as suggested around the metal latch, but I'm worried that if it doesn't stay closed with the tape on there, it could be a real pain in the but to try and remove it.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:58 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by doctordeuce
Wondering if anyone else has a noisy center storage bin, especially around 2,000-2,500 RPM. I have tried putting foam between the outside portion of the center stack/back carpet wall as well and used a business card and foam as a shim inside the storage bin but to no avail.
I get this too. Haven't spent much time trying solutions, but opening the cover and leaving it open stops noise - obviously not a solution, but definitely isolates possible sources. Very interested if you find a solution.