F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing/vibrating sound under light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buzzing/vibrating sound under light acceleration

Hi Everyone, I was hoping to get some help with diagnosing this issue before I go to the dealership. Please see the following video to listen to the sound (sorry about the nav getting in the way). This sound started up the morning after some light snow drifting, really hoping I didn't mess up the transmission. Some things I've noticed:
-car does not shudder at all (I don't feel anything, it just makes the sound)
-decently loud, can definitely be heard over the exhaust when valves are closed
-car has a tendency to "buzz" more often when warm
-happens under light acceleration right between 1400 and 1600 rpm
-happens when I accelerate lightly through a turn or when making a lane change
-almost always happen when i accelerate lightly from a stop on an incline
-car functions completely normally at all other RPMs and under spirited driving
I would appreciate any input! Thank you.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 PM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure we can hear it over the NAV voice guidance, but I remember bringing this up in a separate thread 3-4 months ago. If it's not the A/C refrigerant line buzzing against the firewall (a common concern and the line can be re-mounted to cure it), then I'm told it has to do with the supercharger engaging and JLR considers it 'normal'. Once you hear it though, you can't un-hear it. Drives me crazy. Just have to turn up the audio system, but not too much of course b/c then that'll start buzzing.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I remember reading about that refrigerant line issue, maybe that could be it. I can't find the thread, but would you know what I should be looking for and how to fix it? It's definitely not a normal sound because I've driven the car 22k miles with no issues until now. Definitely related to resonance or something because it only happens at exactly 1500-1600rpm...

Old 02-22-2019, 01:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes I hear this too at low speeds with radio off Which coolant line is it? Anybody able to circle it in a photo

Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by herane
Thanks for the reply. I remember reading about that refrigerant line issue, maybe that could be it. I can't find the thread, but would you know what I should be looking for and how to fix it? It's definitely not a normal sound because I've driven the car 22k miles with no issues until now. Definitely related to resonance or something because it only happens at exactly 1500-1600rpm...
Originally Posted by Colecat
Sometimes I hear this too at low speeds with radio off Which coolant line is it? Anybody able to circle it in a photo
There is a service bulletin on this but I cannot find the reference either. Your dealer should be able to resolve it, but if you want to try isolating the problem yourself prior to a dealer visit, follow the AC aluminum line on the left side of the engine from the firewall toward the radiator. You will see an aluminum line attached to the front of the wheel well by a clamp fastener. Simply unscrew that fastener so that the AC line is free to vibrate at its natural frequencies with engine rpm. If the sound goes away, then you have identified the problem and you can go to the dealer to show them. If the buzzing occurs with or without the AC on, then there is a different problem.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Here's the older thread, though it doesn't mention a TSB...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-noise-144495/