F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-Tek Install Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C-Tek Install Help Please

Looking to install a C-Tek - I feel like a noob and I've searched and read all the threads but can't determine where to attach the leads to in the trunk as the various pictures in the threads don't look like what I'm seeing (likley wiring changes over the years).

I attached a photo of the trunk and I'd appreciate any advice

Do I need to look under the black cover along the lower left side as its a bugger to get off and did not want to remove it if I did not have to?

FYI: LHD 2018 Convertible R

Thanks
Marc

Last edited by Thomarcha; 06-16-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:56 PM
Received 167 Likes on 82 Posts

Connect to the positive and negative terminal on battery
the earlier cars you connected differently but yours is a later model

Old 06-16-2022, 04:10 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasman2
Connect to the positive and negative terminal on battery
the earlier cars you connected differently but yours is a later model
The difference here is between the coupe and the convertible, not the MY - most threads show the coupe trunk, but I think there is one that shows the convertible wiring.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:40 PM
Received 167 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine is a convertible and is as per that picture and my c tek has been going 5 months now and is connected to the battery

Old 06-16-2022, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by scm
The difference here is between the coupe and the convertible, not the MY - most threads show the coupe trunk, but I think there is one that shows the convertible wiring.
Thanks - I had found a convertible photo here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8/#post1198572 but his question as to how to wire it was never answered.

Marc

Old 06-16-2022, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gasman2
Mine is a convertible and is as per that picture and my c tek has been going 5 months now and is connected to the battery
Thanks - so we don't need to bother charging the smaller battery at the front at all?

Marc

Old 06-16-2022, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomarcha
Thanks - so we don't need to bother charging the smaller battery at the front at all?

Marc
What "smaller battery at the front"?
On a 2018 F-Type there is only one battery, the big one shown bottom right of the pic in your first post.
Not sure what that black box on the left is, probably a module/relay/junction box, but it ain't no battery.
Also, despite what others here and elsewhere have said, you should not connect the negative lead of a CTEK etc to the negative terminal of the battery as that bypasses the BMS (Battery Management System) module which can cause problems, instead you should connect it to an earth/ground point, all the JLR literature says this. I can see only one obvious candidate in that first pic, the battery tie down strap bolt (RHS of the battery).

The following users liked this post:
GGG (06-17-2022)
Old 06-16-2022, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
What "smaller battery at the front"?
On a 2018 F-Type there is only one battery, the big one shown bottom right of the pic in your first post.
Not sure what that black box on the left is, probably a module/relay/junction box, but it ain't no battery.
Also, despite what others here and elsewhere have said, you should not connect the negative lead of a CTEK etc to the negative terminal of the battery as that bypasses the BMS (Battery Management System) module which can cause problems, instead you should connect it to an earth/ground point, all the JLR literature says this. I can see only one obvious candidate in that first pic, the battery tie down strap bolt (RHS of the battery).
Sorry, I meant the “smaller battery at the front right of the trunk” (as per the thread here: https://www.f-typeclub.com/threads/t...ur-f-type.600/) but I’m guessing the 2018 does not have the second battery anymore?

Thanks for all the help.

Marc

Old 06-16-2022, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thomarcha
Sorry, I meant the “smaller battery at the front right of the trunk” (as per the thread here: https://www.f-typeclub.com/threads/t...ur-f-type.600/) but I’m guessing the 2018 does not have the second battery anymore?

Thanks for all the help.

Marc
Yep, that smaller battery is part of the stop/start system but it was dropped for the 2016 model year. Not the stop/start system, just the secondary battery, the newer stop/start system uses a capacitor as part of the remaining "big" battery such as in your F-Type.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
..... Also, despite what others here and elsewhere have said, you should not connect the negative lead of a CTEK etc to the negative terminal of the battery as that bypasses the BMS (Battery Management System) module which can cause problems, instead you should connect it to an earth/ground point .....
+1

CORRECT

We have more posts across our forums incorrectly advising direct connection of CTEK to both battery terminals than any other single topic. Disbelievers should read the Workshop Manual to learn about the BMS.

Graham

Old 06-17-2022, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
+1

CORRECT

We have more posts across our forums incorrectly advising direct connection of CTEK to both battery terminals than any other single topic. Disbelievers should read the Workshop Manual to learn about the BMS.

Graham
Glad I saw this post. I am about to connect a small CTEK as a 'maintainer' for my 2020 convertible while I am out of town. Had planned to plug into the small lead that appears to be a transport power line. That line is hooked directly to the + & - terminals on the Batt. According to what you are saying, I should be hooking to the + batt post, and the - side to a ground point within the compartment??

Old 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Well, if finding the correct points in the boot is too difficult, several owners have connected their maintainers to the 'jump point' at the <EDIT> RF side of the engine bay, right @OzXFR ?

Last edited by Carbuff2; 06-17-2022 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Will this connection work as well as going thru the trunk to the batt?

Old 06-17-2022, 08:51 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Here is a helpful installation article: https://howtune.com/articles/548-ins...-jaguar-f-type

You should have a bus bar under a hinged plastic cover to connect the positive ring lug of the CTEK unit to, and the negative goes to the same place as the heavy black battery grounding cableis bolted down to.

On my coupe I ordered the accessory installation connectors from CTEK as the supplied wiring was a bit too short to leave enough of the pigtail sticking out from under the storage compartment cover.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:00 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
You should have a bus bar under a hinged plastic cover to connect the positive ring lug of the CTEK unit to, and the negative goes to the same place as the heavy black battery grounding cableis bolted down to.
The convertible layout is very different from the coupe.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Well, if finding the correct points in the boot is too difficult, several owners have connected their maintainers to the 'jump point' at the <EDIT> RF side of the engine bay, right @OzXFR ?
Yep, I have a post or two about it around here somewhere but it was a few years ago so not easy to find!
Anyway below is a pic of what I did and how to do it:
Step 1 - open the hood, open the red plastic cover of the box on the RHS, and lift the little red cover off the positive charging terminal/post.
Step 2 - find a suitable small nut and bolt combo (I used a 10 mm long bolt) and drill a hole just big enough for the bolt right through the middle of that charging terminal/post, then bolt the eye of the positive (red) tender/charger/CTEK/whatever pigtail lead to it.
Step 3 - unscrew the negative terminal/post bolt (yes it unscrews) - it looks a bit like a large screw sticking up about 10 cm behind the positive post, see the pic - slip the eye of the negative (black) pigtail lead underneath it and bolt it back down again.
Step 4 - cut/saw a hole/slot in the bottom edge (on the side) of the red plastic positive post cover so it will now fit over the red/positive pigtail lead, otherwise it won't go back on where it is supposed to go. Be warned, that plastic is super hard and it took me a good 10 minutes with a fresh hacksaw blade to cut the slot.
Step 5 - decide where/how you want to store/tidy up the plug end of the pigtail lead. I simply tuck mine up under the edge of the hood, between the metal of the hood and the plastic liner piece underneath, then flip it out with my fingertip when I want to use it. When tucked up in that spot it stays put and does not rattle while driving.

I have been using this connection for the last five or so years with zero problems, and the beauty of it I don't need to even unlock the car let alone open the hood or the trunk to connect my battery tender up, it takes 10 seconds flat to flip the end of the lead out from under the hood and connect it up. That way I can and do leave the car overnight on the tender while fully locked.
And of course it's exactly the same for the coupe and 'vert!

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (06-18-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 09:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CTEK Install with BusBar

Hello all,

I am a long time Jag enthusiast and Owner. XJ8 and XK8 and now an F-Type-R.... OMG will this thing fly and the noises it makes while driving makes me giggle like a school child.

Anyway... I did install the CTEK batter tender (like i have on my other jags) but I hooked it up to the bus bar in the back. I've seen back and forth messages on where it should be hooked up but please look at the picture and let me know if you think this is ok please?

I attached the red to the bus bar and then the negative to a bolt under the black clip.

The eyelets were a bit big on the positive side, so I just made sure the eyelet was move a bit to the side and screwed down the bolt nice and tight.

Thoughts? This ok?

Old 06-22-2022, 10:00 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCPX
Hello all,

I am a long time Jag enthusiast and Owner. XJ8 and XK8 and now an F-Type-R.... OMG will this thing fly and the noises it makes while driving makes me giggle like a school child.

Anyway... I did install the CTEK batter tender (like i have on my other jags) but I hooked it up to the bus bar in the back. I've seen back and forth messages on where it should be hooked up but please look at the picture and let me know if you think this is ok please?

I attached the red to the bus bar and then the negative to a bolt under the black clip.

The eyelets were a bit big on the positive side, so I just made sure the eyelet was move a bit to the side and screwed down the bolt nice and tight.

Thoughts? This ok?

That looks good. I have a CTek charge panel installed in the back trim and the leads go to the same place as yours. I've had this set up for about a year and have used it to maintain my vehicle probably about 20-30 times and never had an issue.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Right on the money.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member

I just did a similar install on my 2020, but at the battery without a bus bar, I hooked the Positive lead to the battery positive post cable. There was an open bolt hole on the side of the cable. I then hooked the negative lead to the bolt on the battery hold down strap mid battery. This should give plenty of connection, with out the 'Battery positive, negative post' connectin problem someone else here mentioned.

Quick Reply: C-Tek Install Help Please