F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 w204 vs F-type V6 S

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016 | 06:49 PM
|
Default C63 w204 vs F-type V6 S

Both are within my price range [sadly the R V8 is not], but which would be the overall better car? C63 has always been my dream car, but now that I've driven the F-type I've become a convert.

I've driven a rental F-type and it was boat loads of fun; the active exhaust is mindblowing and the car is very addictive. It also looks and sounds like an exotic car; whereas the C63 looks like any other C-class. The F-type gets better MPG, goes through tires less aggressively but lacks 4 seats.

The only issue I see is reliability, I already went through the dreaded gas filling issue [quite annoying] and the owner of the F-type told me the battery dies quite readily.

Any user input would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Raul-7
Both are within my price range [sadly the R V8 is not], but which would be the overall better car? C63 has always been my dream car, but now that I've driven the F-type I've become a convert.

I've driven a rental F-type and it was boat loads of fun; the active exhaust is mindblowing and the car is very addictive. It also looks and sounds like an exotic car; whereas the C63 looks like any other C-class. The F-type gets better MPG, goes through tires less aggressively but lacks 4 seats.

The only issue I see is reliability, I already went through the dreaded gas filling issue [quite annoying] and the owner of the F-type told me the battery dies quite readily.

4 door sedan vs 2 door distinctive GT sport car: your choice.

1. Fuel filler issue has a solution covered by warranty.
2. Battery issue is resolved by rebooting the battery control module (disconnecting the battery) every time the OBDII port is accessed (rarely).

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:05 PM
|

I was referring to the C63 507 Coupe.

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:06 PM
|

Originally Posted by Unhingd
4 door sedan vs 2 door distinctive GT sport car: your choice.

1. Fuel filler issue has a solution covered by warranty.
2. Battery issue is resolved by rebooting the battery control module (disconnecting the battery) every time the OBDII port is accessed (rarely).
Do you think the 380HP V6 is plenty or does it leave you wanting more?

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:08 PM

I've got both a C63 (actually the spouse unit's) and an FT V8S. Totally different cars. The Benz looks like any of the million other C class that have been built until you look more closely. (Never, ever f$$$ with a Benz with quad pipes - you might get surprised.)

The Benz is a car that's equally adept at lighting up the tires, taking a corner fast enough to scare you or taking a long road trip.

So is the FT. I like the drop top aspect and the better throttle response. My wife likes driving the sedan.

Bottom line, both are great cars. The Benz is more usable space wise. The FT is a s$$t ton more fun to drive.

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

C63 isn't the same type of the car as F-type. If you want sporty family sedan (aka sleeper), then C63 is the car. If you want roadster, then F-type is better choice.

Old 08-29-2016 | 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

The C63 doesnt turn heads until you hit the hammer, the f-type turns heads even when it is parked. I have to say I love the sound of the c63 - I think they got it just right - and at least it doesnt have the ridiculous column shift of other benzes though I still find the placement of buttons and switches pretty odd.

Having gone from 375 awesome KW in the XKR to under 300kw in the f type V6S, I have to say that I dont miss the extra power at all. I'd have it if it came for free, but only because I prefer the quad pipes.

I also dont miss the back seat and I've found the f type to be pretty useable as a daily driver, even to go and pick up grog and shopping, or the hardware (though there are some limitations from the shape of the hatch).

Ultimately the trade off is stellar looks vs back seat. If you can live without the back seat and enjoy a bit of attention, the f type is the car for you.

Old 08-29-2016 | 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Do you think the 380HP V6 is plenty or does it leave you wanting more?
Many are quite satisfied with the power of the base or V6S models.
My V6S at 380hp left me wanting more. Pulleyed and tuned to 450hp, it is now pooolenty! Certainly doesn't have the pull of the R, but comes close to matching the power/weight ratio of the V8S.

Old 08-29-2016 | 08:08 PM

Dont think the Benz is anymore reliable than a jag at all lol
i consider them in the same class in terms of reliability

Old 08-30-2016 | 04:13 AM
|

Originally Posted by no401k
Dont think the Benz is anymore reliable than a jag at all lol
i consider them in the same class in terms of reliability

Old 08-30-2016 | 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be concerned about reliability, particularly if you are buying new or near new 2016, with 75 year warranty. You didn't say if coupe or vert ftype. Coupe has more usable storage space.

Old 08-31-2016 | 08:15 PM
|

Originally Posted by jaguny
I wouldn't be concerned about reliability, particularly if you are buying new or near new 2016, with 75 year warranty. You didn't say if coupe or vert ftype. Coupe has more usable storage space.
75 year?!

Definitely coupe, it looks more elegant and has a bigger boot.

But would you lease or buy?

Old 08-31-2016 | 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

But would you lease or buy?
Depends. Advantage of lease is that you guaranteed someone will take it off your hands and pay agreed-on amount. So if the car starts falling apart - it won't be your problem at the end of the lease term.

Old 09-03-2016 | 05:23 PM
|

See that's the issue; I like to enjoy the car long term not for 36 months. I like to personalize the car and it seems the F-type isn't made for long term.

The C63 has issues too, but it's not the first generation and the latter w204 [13-14] are rock-solid. This is the first generation of the F-type so sadly it will be plagued with issues until Jaguar irons them out.

Old 09-03-2016 | 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Just my own experience, however I'm on my fourth Jaguar and they have all been really good.. a couple of simple warranty issues and thats it.

A good friend of mine has an AMG gullwing and he has had a few issues with electronics, but nothing major and his Porches have been a bit of a problem, yet they are rated high on the JD power 'impression' scale..

Assuming you have a good engineering design and engine.. I believe the F type has all that, it should be good; the other issue is to have a really good dealer, in case you have some niggling warranty issues that need to get sorted out, or after warranty work that is fair and competent.. I've only had oil and filter after warranty.. at least to date.

Many years ago, Jaguar had issues but as far as I can tell, its good now.
Lawrence

Old 09-03-2016 | 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

I had a very fast flawless SLK55 AMG for 2 years before Jag. Like both, just started to like looks of Jag better and it went from there. Jag service less expensive! Miss AMG drag speed once in awhile but prefer Jag overall drive expirience.

Old 09-03-2016 | 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

the F-type isn't made for long term.
We don't know that, and there is no evidence to support such assertion.

The C63 has issues too, but it's not the first generation
Yes, tell that to all Mercedes owners with ABC (hydraulic suspension) ticking time bomb. Mercedes are now on third generation of that system and it hasn't gotten any more reliable since they introduced it in the early 2000s.

If you are after reliability, get a Lexus, otherwise C63 vs F-type is about the same.

Old 09-04-2016 | 05:33 PM

Our C63 has been flawless. In fact, I don't think that its had a single repair warranty or otherwise.

Old 09-06-2016 | 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

This is the first generation of the F-type so sadly it will be plagued with issues until Jaguar irons them out.
Funny; I was just thinking (marvelling really) how few issues there are for the F type and most of them (no offense to those that have an issue) are very minor in nature. Complaints of speakers, the odd rattle, some electronic doodad crop up here and there along with some fit and finish complaints (some of which you almost need a magnifying glass to see)......driveline problems? engine issues? ....crickets; almost completely unheard of? Where are all the posts about piston rattle, supercharger failure, transmission/rear end self destruction? they don't exist. .....maybe I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy but I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase decision at this point: the darn things seem to be bulletproof.

Dave

Old 09-06-2016 | 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Funny; I was just thinking (marvelling really) how few issues there are for the F type and most of them (no offense to those that have an issue) are very minor in nature. Complaints of speakers, the odd rattle, some electronic doodad crop up here and there along with some fit and finish complaints (some of which you almost need a magnifying glass to see)......driveline problems? engine issues? ....crickets; almost completely unheard of? Where are all the posts about piston rattle, supercharger failure, transmission/rear end self destruction? they don't exist. .....maybe I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy but I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase decision at this point: the darn things seem to be bulletproof.

Dave
In fact, looking at the recent posts on the first page, there are 57 different threads and 6 of them are problems/complaints. Looking at them;

1) complaint of a differential leak....but it sounds like it's condensation from the exhaust and normal.

2) complaint of a noise

3) small paint chip complaint on the rocker panel

4) a mis-calibrated fuel gauge

5) an old thread on rocker panel paint chips dug up by the guy in the 3rd thread.

6) some guy having problems with his trunk latch.

.....I dunno, but I'm not all that worried about the F type being "plagued with issues"

Dave

Quick Reply: C63 w204 vs F-type V6 S