F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Vette or F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 04:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default C8 Vette or F-Type R?

I have a 2017 F-Type R that I bought in 2020 with 12K miles on it. Have not had a single problem and now have 36K on it. I put a deposit to get on line for a C8 1 year ago. The dealer called me last week to spec the car and said would be delivered in 12-15 weeks. But now i'm getting cold feet because I LOVE the looks and sound of the Jag. Then I start to worry about the longevity of the Jag and the ability to find a good mechanic should something serious arise. A new Vette with extended warrantee gets attractive. Definitely a luxury problem. Probably the wrong place to ask for it, but I would love some opinions.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:55 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Someone posted a similar dilemma not too long ago. I am an avid Vette lover and owned 6 Corvettes so far in my lifetime. I loved (notice already past tense) the C8 design but I see these EVERYWHERE already and they are still going for MSRP if you order one (I think) and more if you buy from someone. I cannot imagine once these cars can be bought below MSRP how many will be on the streets. It doesn't take away that it is a great car but if I am spending close to $100k on a car, I do not want to see it on every corner like I currently do with a Camry. And again I see every day and not just one or two, but many of them running around town just in my area. I rarely see an F Type.

The following 2 users liked this post by Whatsnext:
NewLester de Rocin (02-22-2023), TheDrainPlug (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 04:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
Someone posted a similar dilemma not too long ago. I am an avid Vette lover and owned 6 Corvettes so far in my lifetime. I loved (notice already past tense) the C8 design but I see these EVERYWHERE already and they are still going for MSRP if you order one (I think) and more if you buy from someone. I cannot imagine once these cars can be bought below MSRP how many will be on the streets. It doesn't take away that it is a great car but if I am spending close to $100k on a car, I do not want to see it on every corner like I currently do with a Camry. And again I see every day and not just one or two, but many of them running around town just in my area. I rarely see an F Type.
I completely agree with Whatsnext's reply! Though I've never owned a Vette, I've had plenty of experiences driving a C7, and loved every minute of it! However, they are EVERYWHERE. As are the C8's now. There are 6 in my neighborhood alone! Other than mine, there are no other Jag's on the roads/town where I live!

Old 02-21-2023, 05:08 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The current C8 is about the best value around and probably for the cost, the best sports car ever made. Even in base form, it's very difficult to beat. I work in aviation where my fellow bratty pilots purchase the latest and greatest thing around. Universally, they all say "it's the best car they've owned"

Also, it sounds great.

I don't have much time in one. Only parking it at the airport. So take my report for what it is. A repeating of what bratty owners say.

The new Z06 is stupid fast.

I have a well tuned 2017 V6s, and while it's semi-exotic, it's not a modern supercar. It is a gentleman's GT car that is starting to show it's age.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:44 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

For me personally, I think the over styled design of the base c8 car would get old fairly quickly relative to the timeless lines of the F-type. My opinion only. The Jag has a more stylish and classy vibe in my view.

That said, I do see the value proposition that the c8 has on offer, assuming that you’re getting it for MSRP. It does seem to look better in the flesh as well compared to pictures and videos.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:56 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWONE
I have a 2017 F-Type R that I bought in 2020 with 12K miles on it. Have not had a single problem and now have 36K on it. I put a deposit to get on line for a C8 1 year ago. The dealer called me last week to spec the car and said would be delivered in 12-15 weeks. But now i'm getting cold feet because I LOVE the looks and sound of the Jag. Then I start to worry about the longevity of the Jag and the ability to find a good mechanic should something serious arise. A new Vette with extended warrantee gets attractive. Definitely a luxury problem. Probably the wrong place to ask for it, but I would love some opinions.
If you want to be different and not one of tons of vettes on the road, F Type R. Its way more exotic because its rare. If C8 ZO6 or F Type, ZO6 hands down if you can get one. The regular C8 Stingray is ugly imo. The proportions are off.

I woukd consider an Aston Vantage over a standard C8.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cgo
If you want to be different and not one of tons of vettes on the road, F Type R. Its way more exotic because its rare. If C8 ZO6 or F Type, ZO6 hands down if you can get one. The regular C8 Stingray is ugly imo. The proportions are off.

I woukd consider an Aston Vantage over a standard C8.
Z06 is definitely exciting, and you’re right about the proportions of the base c8 being off or something…The z06 looks way better…

That said, I have to wonder what kind of problems there could be with the z06 moving forward…There a some questions out there about that engine longer term…You have to wonder…I will watch with interest to see what crops up with that car…

On the surface the z06 is incredible.

Old 02-21-2023, 08:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I seriously thought about a C8 when I was also considering a Jag. Very subjective personal decision, the C8 is arguably the better car from a numbers and even some driving characteristics perspective - looks/styling are even more subjective. For me the image of the C8 is just a bit to ‘shouty’ and in your face - too much mid life crisis territory.

The Jag is more ‘grown up’. I can drive up to a business meeting in it, park it outside a restaurant and not feel in anyway the car is shouting ‘look at me’ to everyone around as I get out. But on a day when I want to head to the canyons I can blast it and have fun. The Jag is very much a dual personality car where the C8 is more of a one trick pony IMO. Though it does that trick very well.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcollinson07:
DMeister (02-21-2023), Michael211 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 10:30 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by mcollinson07
I seriously thought about a C8 when I was also considering a Jag. Very subjective personal decision, the C8 is arguably the better car from a numbers and even some driving characteristics perspective - looks/styling are even more subjective. For me the image of the C8 is just a bit to ‘shouty’ and in your face - too much mid life crisis territory.

The Jag is more ‘grown up’. I can drive up to a business meeting in it, park it outside a restaurant and not feel in anyway the car is shouting ‘look at me’ to everyone around as I get out. But on a day when I want to head to the canyons I can blast it and have fun. The Jag is very much a dual personality car where the C8 is more of a one trick pony IMO. Though it does that trick very well.
I disagree. The Jag definitely screams look at me especially when most people think it's some kind of Ferrari. The C8 is too common and "just a corvette".
The Jag exudes success and class, the vette says I'm in a midlife crisis and one of 5+ others you'll see on the road in a day.

Class, rarity, gnarly sound, mixed with aggression and taste = Jag.

The following users liked this post:
Simonusa0 (02-28-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 10:36 PM
Cgo

Originally Posted by DMeister
Z06 is definitely exciting, and you’re right about the proportions of the base c8 being off or something…The z06 looks way better…

That said, I have to wonder what kind of problems there could be with the z06 moving forward…There a some questions out there about that engine longer term…You have to wonder…I will watch with interest to see what crops up with that car…

On the surface the z06 is incredible.
The standard vettes always have weird proportions but the ZO6 always corrects the issues. Wheel gaps, width, stance, etc.

Most sports cars have issues. Jags aren't known for reliability however, they've vastly improved in the last couple years due to the CEOs goals to improve the reliability image. Pick your poison.

Most of us shopping for toys in this range can afford to fix problems otherwise it might bot be a good idea to spend the money in the first place if on the ragged edge of affordability. Snobby sounding maybe, but true. I think for most of is buying cars like this, its not our primary, daily driver. I bought mine new in 2021 and I have a whopping 2500 miles on it. So, low miles per year = less issues due to wear and tear.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cgo
I disagree. The Jag definitely screams look at me especially when most people think it's some kind of Ferrari. The C8 is too common and "just a corvette".
The Jag exudes success and class, the vette says I'm in a midlife crisis and one of 5+ others you'll see on the road in a day.

Yours is definitely less likely to go unnoticed with that yellow ;-0 That’s for sure.

Last edited by DMeister; 02-22-2023 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cgo
The standard vettes always have weird proportions but the ZO6 always corrects the issues. Wheel gaps, width, stance, etc.

Most sports cars have issues. Jags aren't known for reliability however, they've vastly improved in the last couple years due to the CEOs goals to improve the reliability image. Pick your poison.

Most of us shopping for toys in this range can afford to fix problems otherwise it might bot be a good idea to spend the money in the first place if on the ragged edge of affordability. Snobby sounding maybe, but true. I think for most of is buying cars like this, its not our primary, daily driver. I bought mine new in 2021 and I have a whopping 2500 miles on it. So, low miles per year = less issues due to wear and tear.
Being able to spend and wanting to spend are 2 different things. I don’t know a lot of people who are willing to dump unending amounts of money into fixing a car, even if they are able. Cars are generally not good financial decisions to begin with, so any sanity one can bring to the table in terms of total cost of ownership is only a good thing in my view. To each their own.

Like you, for me an F-type would not be a daily driver, but there seems to be a lot of folks out there where they are daily driving them…Which is great I think…One way or the other they are meant to be driven…

F-Type Wannabe (02-23-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinson07

I personally agree with your sentiment here. I think the average person that doesn’t know a ton about cars would think the red corvette c8 is the loudest and most noticeable of the 2 overall.

Again, CGO’s Jag is a bit of an exception with the cool yellow paint, lol, but when an F-type is in a more toned down colour I personally do think that the average person out there would view it as being a bit more under the radar than a C8.

mcollinson07 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo
The above is pretty much what I was trying to say. I guess any car you are spending $100k+ on is to some extent a ‘look at me’ status symbol - but I feel the Jag is more subtle than a Corvette, more ‘classy’ and certainly has more rarity value than a C8, or a 911 come to that. As you say I see a C8 literally everyday, I’ve not seen another F-Type R for ages.

Old 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

We plan to keep our Jag but are definitely looking at what's next. To my eye the E-Ray is the sweet spot of the C8 line.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:43 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgo

"success and class"
I KNEW I forgot something...

Old 02-22-2023, 07:59 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

When I gave up riding motorcycles on the track I decided to get a sports car. I spent about a year shopping and deciding what I wanted. It came down to a Corvette or an F car. I chose a C7 Corvette Grand Sport. I already had a Jaguar sedan and here in Wake County, NC(Raleigh) my Vette is really not very common as we are the German car capital of the United States. I see more 911s than I see Vettes. BMWs, Audis and MBs are about as rare as cockroaches or rats. I hate to say it but my main reason for not getting the F was that I believe that if Jaguar follows this all electric scheme they are pursuing that Jaguar will go away in the United States. I refused to play the gouging game that Chevy dealers were and are playing on C8s. Anybody who pays more than MSRP on a mass produced car is an idiot. You might as well put that money in a barrel and burn it.

TheDrainPlug (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 12:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my 2015 F Type R. The exterior is one of the most beautiful designs ever produced, especially when lowered and fitted with custom wheels to your liking. I will never sell it, because it brings a smile to my face every time I look at it. But to be fair, my Corvette C7 Z06 is a better car in every way except the styling and possibly exclusivity, if that even matters. With the magnaride suspension, it both handles better, and with the flip of a switch, rides better. It accelerates faster, stops quicker, and even gets better highway fuel mileage. It has more interior space, both for the occupants and for luggage. The audio system is better, and the quality of the interior is nicer, even though I have the full leather option on the Jag, and the 3LZ nicest interior option on the Vette. Maintenance is much less expensive, and much more readily available. In 3 minutes, I can turn the Vette into a convertible, without the ugliness of a convertible soft top when the roof is on. While it is true that I see many more Vettes on the road than Jags, I would submit that it is because the Vette is the better car for the money.
Having driven one, I can say that the C8 is on a whole other level, except for 50 to 150 mph time, something the new Z06 addresses. Maybe that’s why there is a one year wait for C8s, and a three year wait for the Z06, while I could buy a new F Type tomorrow if I wanted. Again, I love my Jag, and it will always have a space in my garage, but only because it’s so damn beautiful to look at.

TheDrainPlug (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 08:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW... I cancelled my C8 order back in 2021 while waiting for an allocation. I then searched for 6 months for a F-Type R. My main reason was that I just couldn't reconcile look & feel of the C8 interior and the look of the rear end. I found my '22 P450 R in April '22 and haven't looked back. The C8 has the edge in straight-line performance, and I'll concede in overall handling, but in terms of uniqueness, styling beauty (int. & ext.), and performance as a whole, F-Type for the win! After break-in miles, took it on a 2,800-mile RT and smiled the entire trip!

All that said... there is a slight itch growing for a HTC Z06 or E-Ray.

Last edited by OlyFtype; 02-22-2023 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:29 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I really appreciate everyones response and agree with both sides of the discussion. But I finally made the decision and sent the dealer an email saying I will pass on the C8 for now. Here's the reasoning...
I can always go back and get a C8. The wait times for the Standard Z51 Stingray have dropped to 3-6 months as everyone is jumping on the Z06 and E-Ray bandwagon. But it would be difficult to replicate my mint 2017 F-Type R in the future. Believe it or not, the C8s are still very rare here in Fairfield Connecticut, but i doubt that will be the case for long. Porches are more common than anything. Yes the C8 is better in almost all measures of performance, but realistically any of todays performance cars have limits that are WAY to high to explore on the street. That's what my Miata is for. But the style of the jag is classier and classic. And the sound of the Jag (especially on decel) while juvenile is the best sounding cross plane V8...period, end of story, Mic drop. So "BAD KITTY" will remain parked next to the "BDA BNG" Miata for now. Will be a heart wrenching day if it ever comes time to part.

But then again, they do have those car stackers.....

The following 2 users liked this post by RAWONE:
djyankees31 (02-23-2023), OlyFtype (02-22-2023)

Quick Reply: C8 Vette or F-Type R?