Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab or Coupe

Hey guys,

About to pullthe trigger on a 2015 F type. I see two that are great options.
1) dealer certified F type Cab - 35k miles - $40,000 - warranty for 3 years
2) Used F coupe S - 19K miles - $42,000 - warranty for another 9 months

The s comes with the sports seats and panaromic roof. Im really caught between a rock and a hard place, the coupe I think looks so much better then the cab when the top is up. Also the cab is certified, the coupe only has 9 months left on it, but is an S.

What do you guys think? Cab or Coupe?

Also, how realiable have these cars been for you? Am i flying in the danger zone to have one of these without a warranty?

Attached Thumbnails Cab or Coupe-jag-coupe.jpg   Cab or Coupe-jag-cab.jpg  
Old 04-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Lots of posts on the forum on both issues.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:40 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Lots of posts on the forum on both issues.
You can say that again. But what the heck. There is nothing like the pleasures of an open car. The feel of the wind and sun have no substitute. We have had convertibles continuously since '68 and could not be without one. There is no substitute. There is a wagon in the garage when practicality is called for.

Now its all a matter of personal taste, but as good as the coupe is, I really think the convertible is the better looking car, I think the F-Type is too short for the coupe body, and I say that as someone who readily admits the E-Type coupe and the XK-8 coupe were better looking than the convertibles. The XK wasn't good looking enough in either form to comment on.

Oh yes, and Cab is a term used by the Germans. A Jaguar is a VERT (or maybe DHC if you are of a certain age.)

Old 04-15-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
I think the F-Type is too short for the coupe body
Really?...looks fairly long to me.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I like them both to look at. But if it was your only car, the coupe kills the 'vert for practicality - once you take the spare out. I use mine (coupe) for pretty much everything - it has had bags of cement, rocks, tiles, shrubs, turf, grog, food, you name it in the back and it is very rarely that I have to take my wife's or daughter's car instead.

Strangely enough the coupe has a panic handle in the hatch presumably for use by people that you have kidnapped and put back there. I tend to think that while the hatch area is pretty useful, you would stuggle getting a person in the back and I'm not really sure what the inclusion says about Jaguar's impressions of their target market.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Short version; it's just personal preference.....what's best will depend on wants and usage. I like the looks of the coupe a bit better but both are stunning - ultimately it's convertible only for me as I won't give up the open air experience. I also don't give a hoot about practicality and I kinda like not being able to pack so much crap when we travel.....of course my previous weekend travel vehicle was a touring motorcycle so the Jag seems like it has lots of space.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Roadster guy since high school!

Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a cab.

That Coupe looks way better. Great color and wheels combo.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I like them both to look at. But if it was your only car, the coupe kills the 'vert for practicality - once you take the spare out. I use mine (coupe) for pretty much everything - it has had bags of cement, rocks, tiles, shrubs, turf, grog, food, you name it in the back and it is very rarely that I have to take my wife's or daughter's car instead.

Strangely enough the coupe has a panic handle in the hatch presumably for use by people that you have kidnapped and put back there. I tend to think that while the hatch area is pretty useful, you would stuggle getting a person in the back and I'm not really sure what the inclusion says about Jaguar's impressions of their target market.
Any Forum member who talks of “cement”, “rocks” and “kipnapping” in the same post - with the nickname of “Bruce The Quail” - has to be right.

The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
BruceTheQuail (04-15-2018), ndabunka (04-15-2018), PBBarb (04-16-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Any Forum member who talks of “cement”, “rocks” and “kipnapping” in the same post - with the nickname of “Bruce The Quail” - has to be right.
+2.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

wow...personal choice for sure. this is one of the few cars that was designed as a convertible first. most cars are designed as a coupe first, then they hack the top off.

i'm partial to the coupe, but there is something awesome about riding around on a nice day in a convertible.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

You can say that again. But what the heck. There is nothing like the pleasures of an open car. The feel of the wind and sun have no substitute. We have had convertibles continuously since '68 and could not be without one. There is no substitute. There is a wagon in the garage when practicality is called for.

Now its all a matter of personal taste, but as good as the coupe is, I really think the convertible is the better looking car, I think the F-Type is too short for the coupe body, and I say that as someone who readily admits the E-Type coupe and the XK-8 coupe were better looking than the convertibles. The XK wasn't good looking enough in either form to comment on.

Oh yes, and Cab is a term used by the Germans. A Jaguar is a VERT (or maybe DHC if you are of a certain age.)
Actually, the term "Cab" is incorrect in this sense as it is short for Cabriolet which in German product is typically a 4-seater (Audi A4, Benz CLK, etc) & since the F-Type is a 2-seater, it naturally cannot be a "Cab"... splitting hairs? Yes, but only because you baited me (lol) (Ref: Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach 4/8/17 episode around the 2:30 minute mark in)

To continue that hair-splitting pattern...
A 2-seater sports car without a top is technically a "Roadster".
http://www.arrowheadmbservice.com/bl...nd-a-roadster/

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-15-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR
wow...personal choice for sure. this is one of the few cars that was designed as a convertible first. most cars are designed as a coupe first, then they hack the top off.

i'm partial to the coupe, but there is something awesome about riding around on a nice day in a convertible.
Actually we learned in subsequent years from Ian Callum that the coupe was designed first but the convertible was brought to market first.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
Actually we learned in subsequent years from Ian Callum that the coupe was designed first but the convertible was brought to market first.
+1. The original F-Type Concept back in 2000 was indeed a convertible but based on the pics below, clearly nothing more than an updated XK design. The true precursor to the F-Type was the C-X16 that was presented in 2011. Except for minor styling details, indistinguishable from the F-Type. The convertible was then launched into the marketplace in 2012.

2011 C-X16

Old 04-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Un - The coupe is clearly a handsome vehicle. It may be only to my eye that it would look better if longer. It would be interesting to know if the E-Type, and XK-8 proportions were noticeably different. I expect only an automotive style professional would ever take the time to come up with an actual set of numbers. I sure wouldn't. However, that F-Type concept I would not describe as a convertible since I see no top or provision for one. Maybe a roadster?

Nda - Your point is well taken a Cabriolet is at least a four passenger convertible. I am not sure about that dealer's definition of roadster. I have always thought the distinction was in at least part the quality of the top. For example if it is powered and goes up with the push of a button, I would call it a convertible. If you have to construct it using bows and canvas, then its a roadster to my mind. Now my old Reatta, and some old Corvettes had a top that you had to flip up manually and lock into place. What would you call them? I'm not sure but the one on the Reatta was a PITA. My wife couldn't get it up under any circumstances. First it was heavy and then you had to slam down the back to engage the locking pins in the tonneau.

Last edited by Suaro; 04-16-2018 at 12:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Un - The coupe is clearly a handsome vehicle. It may be only to my eye that it would look better if longer.
I actually agree with you. My example above is actually cheating to make the counter argument. Lowered by 1.5”, actually makes the car appear longer (and better to me).

Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Aston DB11 has some nice proportions

Old 04-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Agreed, it really raises the bar and makes the superseded Astons look a bit less special.

But that is a 2 + 2 like the DB9 and the XK, so it is a bit longer anyway.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ashapir3
Hey guys,

About to pullthe trigger on a 2015 F type. I see two that are great options.
1) dealer certified F type Cab - 35k miles - $40,000 - warranty for 3 years
2) Used F coupe S - 19K miles - $42,000 - warranty for another 9 months

The s comes with the sports seats and panaromic roof. Im really caught between a rock and a hard place, the coupe I think looks so much better then the cab when the top is up. Also the cab is certified, the coupe only has 9 months left on it, but is an S.

What do you guys think? Cab or Coupe?

Also, how realiable have these cars been for you? Am i flying in the danger zone to have one of these without a warranty?
I bought my car (below) early last June with 18000 miles on it. The factory warranty is good till July 11 of this year. During that time, the major fixes were the gas fill, low battery warning, water pump, coolant expansion bottle, and an O2 sensor (in that order). These were done at no cost to me but my O2 sensor was done in my 10th month of ownership and you have 9 in the S.

I did approach my local Jaguar dealer and asked if I could buy some kind of extended warranty. They sold me a 3rd party warranty from a company called “Z Series” and it wasn’t cheap.

Out of pocket, the water pump would have cost $900 to replace and roughly the same for the O2 sensor, cost depending on which one it is.

Is the price negotiabe on the S coupe? The sport seats are standard. Then there are the Performance seats. Hope this helps in your decision process. You can also check out my posts.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My TT's were called roadsters, our A4 a cabriolet, my SLK55 a roadster, and the F Type a convert. They all put the roof down!

Quick Reply: Cab or Coupe