F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Calling a 3500 pound 340 hp F-type a roadster seems like a miis-use of the term. I think there is still the implication that a roadster is light and at least somewhat minimal. Convertible seems much more appropriate. But a rose...

Old 04-18-2018, 12:00 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Coupe would be my choice...

Priced a little higher that the two mentioned, but this 2017 Base, 8K miles, Certified, asking 47,500 looks like a good deal. Factory warranty probably runs through 2021, I guess CPO would push it out to 2023?

On Cars.com, in FL.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:40 AM
Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Coupe

Last Drophead I had was a 2000 XKR. Because of current standards for rear & side impact there are no elegant convertibles. On top of that, there is something "unfinished" about them.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:45 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
I bought my car (below) early last June with 18000 miles on it. The factory warranty is good till July 11 of this year. During that time, the major fixes were the gas fill, low battery warning, water pump, coolant expansion bottle, and an O2 sensor (in that order). These were done at no cost to me but my O2 sensor was done in my 10th month of ownership and you have 9 in the S.

I did approach my local Jaguar dealer and asked if I could buy some kind of extended warranty. They sold me a 3rd party warranty from a company called “Z Series” and it wasn’t cheap.

Out of pocket, the water pump would have cost $900 to replace and roughly the same for the O2 sensor, cost depending on which one it is.

Is the price negotiabe on the S coupe? The sport seats are standard. Then there are the Performance seats. Hope this helps in your decision process. You can also check out my posts.

I believe the o2 sensors are covered for 15 years on the emissions warranty. I just had one of mine replaced. I have an extended warranty but didn't need it for the o2 sensor. And going back to the original question of coupe or vert-truly a personal choice. I am not much of a convertible fan myself and also believe to my eye the coupe looks a bit better but again personal preference.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:57 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

4.5 year-old thread…

The following users liked this post:
Nodnarb (11-30-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 07:37 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Convertible or Coupe

Well, you’re looking at my local dealer, apparently. Ya godda be kiddin me!! 19k on the coupe vs 35k on the convertible for essentially the same price?? Well you may need the longer warranty on the convertible based on my experience (see below).

2021 F-Type R Coupe.

My first F-Type was a 16 base V6, white on black, around 28k mi. priced around 38k, southern car bought from large volume jag dealer in Atlanta. Very sweet, garaged two winters, never a problem. Traded with same dealer for an ‘18 AWD R convertible, 550 V8, silicon silver on black. Priced around 65k, mileage high 20’s, certified Southern car. A beast. Lot of problems with convertible top. In to dealer 3 times for lengthy stays until they replaced a defective motor. No reason to garage in winter with awd, heated seats and wheel, but avoided driving in snow, simply too nice a car for that. Finally traded up to a ‘21 R coupe, Firenze Red on black, 10k miles, certified until 12/25, 575 V8, Boston dealer. My favorite F-Type by far. Decent luggage capacity unlike the ridiculous “trunk” in the convertible. In my opinion, far better looking than the convertible, drives better given the rigidity of fixed cabin, but, I will admit, has somewhat toned down engine noises compared with the convertibles. From the pictures you provided, the coupe is better looking. I would run the deal through Cars.com and Car Guru to be sure there aren’t better deals out there.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:22 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

I’m a coupe guy, IMHO they look sleeker and better from every angle. My wife and I can pack for a week on vacation and I’ve put my golf bag in albeit the driver is in the passenger side same goes for my previous E type, golf bag would easily go in the back. My 63 E type coupe is hands down gorgeous as is the F type. I’m just taking a wild guess here but I going to say this is an analogy for how we also have changed in 60 years still beautiful but maybe larger. Cheers.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:15 AM
Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice pair!
My vote is coupe for sure for the F-Type but convertible when it comes to E-Types...

Old 12-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tough One

Well, I went thru this love the hard top however, I had not yet owned a convertible so.... R convertible wins. Its hard to explain how much fun these cars are to drive regardless. Driving the F-Type convertible is just a lot of fun and noise which I like. I don't think you go wrong either way such a personal choice.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

A lot of activity on a thread from last decade.

I went from coupe to convertible. No regrets.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:55 AM
Received 425 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
I’m a coupe guy, IMHO they look sleeker and better from every angle. My wife and I can pack for a week on vacation and I’ve put my golf bag in albeit the driver is in the passenger side same goes for my previous E type, golf bag would easily go in the back. My 63 E type coupe is hands down gorgeous as is the F type. I’m just taking a wild guess here but I going to say this is an analogy for how we also have changed in 60 years still beautiful but maybe larger. Cheers.

Standard length driver fit in both my 2018 and 2022 F-Type coupes by putting the driver in by itself grip end first diagonally starting at the taillight.

Old 12-02-2022, 04:17 PM
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks are very personal and I think both are beautiful. I debated when I was looking and found a 2015 convertible at a great price. A couple of years later I ordered and received a 2020 convertible for the same reason most of us do and that is for the open air experience.
I like the looks with the top up or down but it is down most of the time weather permitting.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I said years ago when coupe came out it was better looking. But if you are a vert guy it doesn't matter, and I am! Would probably make an exception on a great deal Ferrari !

Old 12-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

"Eye" worm alert! For those of you who believe the Jaguar F-Type 'vert is nothing short of an absolutely stunningly beautiful vehicle - and I count myself among you - perhaps it might be best if you skip reading the rest of this post...

When it finally became time to pass along my 2000 Merc roadster, for me the only real choice was the 2021 F-Type. And naturally the 'vert was my sole focus.

Fortunately, the nearest JLR dealer had one in the showroom, so we took it for a top-down test drive. It was everything I wanted... and more. Then, we stopped and put the top up. All of a sudden, it went from enjoying a beautiful sunny day to lurking in a dark, cheerless cave. (Why, why, why the black lining??) Hmmmm... OK self - says I - take off the sunglasses and deal with it.

But the kicker was when we got back to the dealer and did another walk-around. And then came the unforgettable observation from the Owner's Representative. "With the top up, it looks like a Miata."

I can never get that image out of my brain. <sigh>

Old 12-03-2022, 10:48 AM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

Have a coupe...needed it as it is my daily driver....the trunk is much larger (not large, but the vert is really, really small...see Jeremy Clarkson's review on YouTube). I like the coupe's looks better.

In the e-type the coupe is better looking too.....the panoramic roof is key. In the winter the coupe is way better. Rain too. And super hot the a/c is better for my way of doing things.....in a tie sweating stinks.

The vert is special, but for your only car...coupe is probably a wiser choice.

I got awd too...snow happens.

Personal choice for sure.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-03-2022 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Michael211 (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

The F-Type was love at first sight when they first appeared in 2014. But, that year, it only came in a convertible. I had been shopping Caymans, so I decided to wait for the coupe and fully expected that was going to be my choice. But, something happened in the interim and I ended up falling for the 'vert. It just seemed more like the natural successor to my E-Type (also a 'vert, although I have the factory removable hard top). There have been no regrets or looking back.

The car is a beauty in any form, but I'd rate the convertible with the top down first, coupe second, and 'vert top-up third. No bad choices.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Oddly enough I found the vert too noisy with the top down, and the coupe is too quiet because you cant open the rear windows. Less so for the v8 because the sound is coming out at the sides instead of the centre, so closer to your ear.

Old 12-04-2022, 02:47 PM
Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ashapir3

What do you guys think? Cab or Coupe?
For me it boiled down to this:

Coupe is nicer to look at from the outside,
Cab is nicer to be in.

The differences are marginal, of course.

Edit: Ha! Just realized I'd replied to a years-old thread

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 12-04-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Have a coupe...needed it as it is my daily driver....the trunk is much larger (not large, but the vert is really, really small...see Jeremy Clarkson's review on YouTube). I like the coupe's looks better.

In the e-type the coupe is better looking too.....the panoramic roof is key. In the winter the coupe is way better. Rain too. And super hot the a/c is better for my way of doing things.....in a tie sweating stinks.

The vert is special, but for your only car...coupe is probably a wiser choice.

I got awd too...snow happens.

Personal choice for sure.
The AC works great in my vert.