F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 09:33 PM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Cabin noise

Are our cabins noisy? I would like to hear from coupe owners as to their experiences. When driving is your cabin quiet, or road noise, tire noise, other noises enter the cabin. Thanks in advance for your experiences and comments.
Frank

Old 06-20-2021, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
Are our cabins noisy? I would like to hear from coupe owners as to their experiences. When driving is your cabin quiet, or road noise, tire noise, other noises enter the cabin. Thanks in advance for your experiences and comments.
Frank
Lots of tyre noise in my cabin much of the time, same on MPS4S as it was on P Zeros, but very little other noise such as wind, engine, traffic, cabin rattles etc.
The tyre noise is totally dependant on the road type especially the material used, it's whisper quiet on stone mastic asphalt but extremely loud on coarse chip ("blue metal") bitumen. Also very noisy over bumps, joins, road zits etc.
I am 99% sure the at times excessive tyre noise is due to very little sound deadening in the wheel arches especially the rears, if anyone knows a reasonable cost, effective, labour-lite and long lasting way of adding sound deadening to the wheel arches I am all ears!

Old 06-21-2021, 03:31 AM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

Rear tire noise and tire impact noise is much worse with the PS 4S we run in the summer than the RE980's we run in the winter. But the grip is so much better with the PS's that I don't give it another thought.
If it were an issue for me, I'd look to this company's products: https://www.secondskinaudio.com/ Most of the cabin area (fire wall and floor) already has an MLV layer from the factory but the rear hump (from the subwoofers to the rear bumper) doesn't have any. This would require taking the entire rear cabin and trunk interior out and covering every accessible surface with Luxury Liner.

There's also quite a bit of wind noise at speed. The window seals are pretty good and I don't think it's A pillar noise. Probably the panoramic glass, even with the sun shade in place.

But, we didn't buy it thinking it was going to be Town Car quiet. With the exhaust button on and the stereo up just enough, I wouldn't change a thing.

The following users liked this post:
Steineronbass (07-20-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:02 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I have found that much of the road noise is from the tires, it changes in volume according to the road surface. The fender liners could use some sound deadening material too. There has been a lot of road construction in my neighborhood lately and I can hear all the gravel being kicked up by the tires. I am considering getting some of that rubberized spray coating and doing the insides of the wheel wells.
One thing for sure, the F Type is much quieter than my Nissan 370Z which was practically unbearable. After I wore out the OEM Bridgestone tires, I was running the Michelin PS4's on it for the rest of my ownership. The issue was zero sound deadening material in the hatch area, doors and floorboards.

But I don't find the F Type to be overly loud when cruising on the freeway at 70 MPH. Most of our freeways have grooved surfaces and that creates a pretty loud howling sound at times.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:50 PM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts

I had an annoying squeak where the shoulder belt rode over the driver's side seat back/side. Tried leather dressing, ended up buying a Turtle Wax Seat Belt protector. Now that the passenger side is doing the same thing, just ordered another belt protector today (Target, $5.99). I used Meguiar's rubber/vinyl dressing on the interior panels and up and under rubber seals where some other squeaks seemed to be coming from. Other than that, cabin noise is pretty much non-existent. I just installed a set of All-Season Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires. Over pretty much all road surfaces and conditions (north east central WI) all is quiet on these tires. There's still a noise/rattle that is coming from somewhere on the passenger side, but driving alone, hard to pinpoint.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:15 PM
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

As other mentioned, yes our cabins are a bit noisy mainly due to road noise but also due to some wind noise at higher speeds, mainly by the B pillar I'd say. Will be interesting to see how things sound when I finish of the P Zeros and get something else.

Drove my F-Type to the supplying dealer some 50km away (mostly motorway and partially unrestricted autobahn ) and had a diesel Evoque as a loaner for the day while mine was in for some minor fixes. Quite a contrast sound wise... the Evoque felt whisper quiet even at autobahn speeds, but then again it also had zero engine noise and near zero acceleration.

Fortunately the part of the world where I live has mostly super smooth roads which keep the noise levels as good as they get in an F-Type. Might drive up to Scandinavia one day and am not looking forward to the crazy coarse and noisy Swedish motorways which have to sound horrible in an F-Type.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:22 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Thank you your response. I cannot upload my videos with sounds. It is a high pitch whine in the cabin that modulates with speed. A call to my JLR dealer is next. I'll update as information becomes available.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi frank,

I live in Seattle where most of the roads are third world, so I get a lot of road noise driving around here. I have been considering Rhino-lining the inside of the wheel spaces to see if that would help.

Old 06-24-2021, 02:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frank barone
Frank
Hi Frank,
I have a 2020 F type SVR, 575hp,top speed 200mph (special order),took six months and was worth the wait. I’ve been buying vehicles for over sixty years and this Jag is the most solidly built car I’ve ever owned. Extremely quiet in the cabin, no rattles, low road noise(depends on the road surface) the only noise is that sweet engine and exhaust sound when you step on it, and a very smooth and comfortable ride. I had the chance to ride inaPorsche GT 3 and there was no comparison. The rear engine (six cylinder) was unpleasantly noisy and the car vibrated. The ride was rough and I felt every little bump. So glad I have my Jag. The only non positives I have about it are the not so user friendly screen and the average at best stereo sound.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I would say cabin noise is relative. Out of the vehicles I own, the F-Type is the most quiet in the cabin. No strange noises, no wind noise, etc.. However, I'm sure there are quieter cars out there that someone else may complain. I don't hear any high pitched whine in mine, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just may be I'm not as sensitive to the noise if it's there (i.e. if JLR tells you it's normal).

Old 06-24-2021, 03:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2018 F-Type V6 is quieter than my 2020 BMW M340i

Old 06-30-2021, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mainly have engine noise, tire noise (P-Zero) and a strange flapping noise from the rear right end at speeds over 120 kph. The noise does not change frequency at 120 or below, it disappears.
I tried to push and pull the fender but everything looks rock solid. Maybe it's the spoiler, I will investigate further.
The windows seals are very good instead, they seldom rattle.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 F-Type Coupe (P380) rattle

Hi All,

I am an F-type newbie. Got a 2020 F-Type Coupe (P380) Checkered Flag Edition last Christmas. The car makes a low volume rattling noise (seems to arise from around the cockpit) when going over bumps/on rough pavement. The noise is like what a little metal piece shaking in a tumbler would make. The service guy claimed it is typical of F-types. Any advice on what might be the source and how I may have this fixed?

Thanks in advance!

best,
Manuj

Old 06-30-2021, 02:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by LilyKalendar
I mainly have engine noise, tire noise (P-Zero) and a strange flapping noise from the rear right end at speeds over 120 kph. The noise does not change frequency at 120 or below, it disappears.
I tried to push and pull the fender but everything looks rock solid. Maybe it's the spoiler, I will investigate further.
The windows seals are very good instead, they seldom rattle.
Have you checked the rubber seal for the tailgate? There's at least one thread about noise emanating from that, fixed by gluing it down (I think.)

The following users liked this post:
LilyKalendar (07-01-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 02:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by manujrathor
The service guy claimed it is typical of F-types.
I'd better get mine booked in then - I have no rattling noise in mine.

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Carbuff2 (07-01-2021), Cluck (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I'd better get mine booked in then - I have no rattling noise in mine.

oh oh...my F-Type coupe also has no rattles, no extraneous noises at all. I'd like to fix this problem by myself but if I can't I guess I can take it to my dealer. Also, my coupe has plenty of cargo room, so that needs to be fixed...wait, then there is the Meridian 770 W stereo system...it has no rattles and sounds terrific. Do any of you know how to fix that? And then there is the performance issue: the car accelerates far too fast. How can I fix that? Do I need to take it to the dealer? Yikes! Will the problems with this car never end?
To top it all off, my dealer has been fantastic. That can't be right. I thought we were obligated to complain about our dealerships. I am just so confused.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:03 PM
Received 98 Likes on 55 Posts

And my gas cap does not lock.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:19 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
oh oh...my F-Type coupe also has no rattles, no extraneous noises at all. I'd like to fix this problem by myself but if I can't I guess I can take it to my dealer. Also, my coupe has plenty of cargo room, so that needs to be fixed...wait, then there is the Meridian 770 W stereo system...it has no rattles and sounds terrific. Do any of you know how to fix that? And then there is the performance issue: the car accelerates far too fast. How can I fix that? Do I need to take it to the dealer? Yikes! Will the problems with this car never end?
To top it all off, my dealer has been fantastic. That can't be right. I thought we were obligated to complain about our dealerships. I am just so confused.

Hope it is still under warranty , you should take it straight back
Your dealer has obviously FORGOTTEN to install your spare tyre.
It fixes your cargo problem and will stop your car accelerating so fast. Also you can loosen the bolt to get just the right amount rattles for yourself.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJS
Have you checked the rubber seal for the tailgate? There's at least one thread about noise emanating from that, fixed by gluing it down (I think.)
I will check that, thanks!

Old 07-01-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a lot of noise from the leather strap that holds the seatbelt. It's really quite annoying and the dealer had no good solution

Quick Reply: Cabin noise