Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin vibration noise from active exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cabin vibration noise from active exhaust

All,

I'm the proud lessee of a 2017 F-Type V6 Coupe with Active Exhaust and less than 500 miles on it.

Just a couple of days ago, I started noticing a vibration noise inside the cabin during acceleration, when the active exhaust is on and at its loudest. This started happening right around the 450 mile mark and it’s quite distracting when the audio is off. It seems to be coming from the passenger’s side towards the back of the car and again, it’s very pronounced when you take off and start to build up revs and speed so the active exhaust kicks in.

So far I’ve tried to fix it by making sure that the doors and the hatch are properly closed, playing around with different positions for both the passenger’s seat and seatbelt, AC on/AC off, and ensuring that the cargo cover is properly seated and stable.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I think Jaguar switched from the vacuum pump to a line under the car for MY2017, but I may be wrong. If not, there is a vacuum pump that turns on and builds pressure when you accelerate to hold open the exhaust valves in the mufflers. There is a TSB to remove the pump and place a line under the car from the motor. Again, I thought in 2017 Jaguar stopped using the pump though.

The following users liked this post:
IntoxicatingSound (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks, Mueller.

That's interesting! I'm researching what you mention right now. Could it be this one?

Active Exhaust Vacuum Pump Noisy ? 2014-2016 Jaguar F-TYPE | jlr.oemdtc.com

I'm planning on bringing in the car to the dealership this Friday and hopefully they have experience with this TSB.

Do you know if it'll affect the sound of the active exhaust itself? I absolutely love it!

The following users liked this post:
Jiggaman (07-18-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Old 05-08-2017, 01:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

99% sure you don't have the vacuum pump that early MYs have, so I don't think that's it.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by IntoxicatingSound
All,

I'm the proud lessee of a 2017 F-Type V6 Coupe with Active Exhaust and less than 500 miles on it.

Just a couple of days ago, I started noticing a vibration noise inside the cabin during acceleration, when the active exhaust is on and at its loudest. This started happening right around the 450 mile mark and it’s quite distracting when the audio is off. It seems to be coming from the passenger’s side towards the back of the car and again, it’s very pronounced when you take off and start to build up revs and speed so the active exhaust kicks in.

So far I’ve tried to fix it by making sure that the doors and the hatch are properly closed, playing around with different positions for both the passenger’s seat and seatbelt, AC on/AC off, and ensuring that the cargo cover is properly seated and stable.

Anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks.

Is the vibration occurring as you accelerate through the 1500-1700 rpm range, but otherwise quiet?

Old 05-08-2017, 03:27 PM

It does it every time you give it a little extra gas. Let's say I'm cruising in the 2000-3000 rpm range, then give it a little a gas to speed up, the exhaust gets louder and then it vibrates.

I just went for a ride and it wasn't nearly as bad, though. The only difference I can think of is that right now is 80 degrees outside and we were in the 50s yesterday and this morning (it was very noticeable this morning, especially).

Old 05-08-2017, 03:48 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I recall someone mentioning a bad active exhaust solenoid, but I don't recall what the symptom was.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I recall someone mentioning a bad active exhaust solenoid, but I don't recall what the symptom was.
I recall that as well. The rattle out of my butt is limited to the 15-1700rpm range. It's going in for the 2nd annual maintenance next month. I'll get it checked out then. I suspect the valves got loose and they'll have to replace the whole muffler. The engine is so infrequently below 2500 rpm that the problem really doesn't bother me much.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

i had a bad active exhaust solenoid, they replaced the whole muffler, and everything has been wonderful since.