F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all those with the ivory interior...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:36 AM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Calling all those with the ivory interior...

Hi guys

Just finalising my build spec for a 2016 v8 rwd coupe. Have decided to go with storm grey with the black + aero pack, ceramics, and pretty much every option except the meridian surround

I'm undecided on interior, either to go all black with white stitching, or the ivory inserts on the seats.

For those with the ivory, how well are they holding up to wear and tear, and more importantly dye transfer?

I had the interior in my r35 gtr retrimmed in an off-white nappa leather, which looks great, but is proving so hard to maintain, especially when people jump in the passenger seat.

I've had white leather interiors before, the nappa leather in my m3 proved very easy to maintain and removal of dye transfer with a regular leather cleaner, but the nappa in my gtr is taking about all my skill as a hobbiest detailer

Also somewhat disappointed the ivory option in the v8 coupe doesn't extend through the centre console like on the v6 model. that's a really nice detail, and maybe something ill look into ordering as a spare part later down the track

Name:  SAM_0873_zpsc1241181.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  3.61 MB

Name:  138_3876.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  126.8 KB

Last edited by domino_z; 05-16-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The white interior, for me, is not bright white enough. I test drove a car with the cirrus/jet/jet interior for a day before I bought mine. It is called Cirrus I think because it has a blue-ish tinge. I would strongly suggest you see it 'in person' before ordering based on those pictures you attached which were much brighter white.

http://www.eurocarnews.com/media/pic...2357/14523.jpg

Old 05-16-2015, 05:26 AM

Pretty sure the cirrus is a different colour and unique to the vert

This is how they do the ivory on the v8 coupe. Seat insert only is ivory, everything else is black with white stitching

The following users liked this post:
burnie (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

would 3M scotch guard type of spray help with dye transfer? If I got a light color some type of leather sealer would probably be the first thing I do.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

I cant say for the f type but I did have the ivory interior in my 2008 XF which I ended up keeping for 4 1/2 years. It was surprisingly resilient though I'd clean it every 4 to 6 months with a good cleaner for analine leather (the leather in that car was semi analine, very nice quality).

I did get some colour loss/darkening on the seam of the drivers seat back, I figure where my belt was rubbing against a seam in the middle of the back, maybe 3 inches from where the back meets the seat bottom. It was noticeable to me. I think it happened pretty early on, but it never got too bad, just a patch of a few inches.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I've owned this car for 6 months so far and I only wear Levi 501's. I thought I could see a hint of color transfer so I purchased the Leather Master dye transfer cleaner and Pinnacle leather and vinyl coating. As you can see using a Kimwipe there is a little transfer but not much for 6 months. The reason I am not using the Leather Master barrier is Autogeek could not tell me if it left a glossy finish. Autogeek did recommending Pinnacle and I can tell you it does not leave a glossy finish if you follow the directions. I was using Chemical Guys and it left a serious glossy finish on the dash.
I was told I should only have to clean the seats every 4 months but I think I could stretch that further if the leather protector does its job. I'll try to take some daylight pictures later as my camera flash is giving the ivory a bluish tint.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all those with the ivory interior...-016.jpg   Calling all those with the ivory interior...-017.jpg   Calling all those with the ivory interior...-seat.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
mjm3457 (05-23-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 08:47 PM

Great replies guy thanks a lot

I tend to wash new jeans before I wear them to avoid dye transfer but I still see it

I also use the leather masters dye transfer, it's essentially a watered down ipa mix

For leather cleaning I use leatherique prestine clean, best leather cleaner I've tried through all my years as a hobbiest detailer, it leaves a perfectly matte finish

I've been hesitant to use leather coating products because of the glossy finish they leave behind. With factory plastic coated leather these days you don't need to condition anymore, but choosing the right wipe on/wipe off coating should provide easier cleaning - I did have my eye on the pinnacle coating, but most detailers local to me use the optimum or gyeon or carpro coatings

Last edited by domino_z; 05-16-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

We have white(Sabbia) in our Maserati. I used GtechL1 Leather Guard treatment when new and interior is very easy to keep clean. Some owners were complaining how hard it was to maintain without the treatment. It is totally invisable and it goes on easy and a little goes along way.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
I've owned this car for 6 months so far and I only wear Levi 501's. I thought I could see a hint of color transfer so I purchased the Leather Master dye transfer cleaner and Pinnacle leather and vinyl coating. As you can see using a Kimwipe there is a little transfer but not much for 6 months. The reason I am not using the Leather Master barrier is Autogeek could not tell me if it left a glossy finish. Autogeek did recommending Pinnacle and I can tell you it does not leave a glossy finish if you follow the directions. I was using Chemical Guys and it left a serious glossy finish on the dash.
I was told I should only have to clean the seats every 4 months but I think I could stretch that further if the leather protector does its job. I'll try to take some daylight pictures later as my camera flash is giving the ivory a bluish tint.
I'm glad you like the Pinnacle Black Label Leather and Vinyl Coating RawwR! That product does indeed leave a very nice natural sheen, that's what I love about the product myself as well. I can't stand shiny/glossy finishing products. Thank you for the wonderful feedback. I love you cars by way

Old 05-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the black/ivory duotone interior in my R coupe. So far, no issues with transfer other than a couple of smudges from jeans-wearing passengers that came right off with the bottle of Jaguar leather cleaner that came with my car (not sure if all of them include this or if it was specific to my dealer).

As for the drivers seat, well, I don't own a single pair of jeans. Cotton slacks and linen pants all the way.

I originally wanted red/black but my wife felt strongly that ivory/black was far more classy. Judging from the compliments I continue to get on the interior of the car, she was right (as usual).