F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Carbon Ceramic brakes be swapped out for Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 08:48 AM
mws
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Can Carbon Ceramic brakes be swapped out for Steel?

I am looking at a used F-type R that has the Carbon Ceramic Option on it, and I am thinking the guy might be a victim of the horrors described in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-miles-208763/

has anyone successfully swapped their CC brakes out and swapped steel onto their car?

where is a good, reliable source for Jag parts that I can peruse. If the front and rear hub and knuckle part numbers are the same, then one should be able to source a salvaged set of non Carbon Ceramic brakes and swap them onto a car with CC brakes, if so desired.

Not sure if there are rim clearance issues, but the car I am looking at, used, has aftermarket rims, anyway.

Yes, I know that with proper weighing and inspection, the rotors should last 100k miles on the street. And I know how much pads cost. I am just someone who can never leave well enough alone, likes to tinker, and uses myself as a crash-test dummy to "try stuff".

Last edited by mws; 08-20-2020 at 08:50 AM. Reason: add pertinent info
Old 08-22-2020, 07:52 AM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

The CC brakes require more clearance than the steels, so you shouldn’t have any wheel fitment issues. I believe you can make the swap, but I would suggest doing a search on the forum.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:04 AM
mws
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RIRR
The CC brakes require more clearance than the steels, so you shouldn’t have any wheel fitment issues. I believe you can make the swap, but I would suggest doing a search on the forum.
thanks for the word on wheel clearance, it is a start. I did use search, found nothing, but.... my search terms might not have yielded the right results. Sometimes I used the word "swap", in my searches.

I kinda didn't expect to find anything. My experience with other forums (BMW 7s and M5s M6s, 1990s Nissan 300ZX TT, or RX7 TT) is that projects like swapping one brake set for another usually don't start until around 10 years of age, for the car, and the used car price starts to achieve what I call "rich man's junk status", or around 1/5 -1/10th of original retail value. Then people start really tearing into them and doing all sorts of stuff.

What is the best source for OEM parts browsing?

when searching on the web (not just this forum), I was inspired by this thread. It possibly is prophetic.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...-plague-267318

in any case, for me: the point is moot now. Yesterday I wrapped up a deal on a nice, 2016 R from out of state, that is going on a transport early next week. 3665 miles!

No Carbon Ceramic Brakes on this one. Mr. CCB never returned my email requests, but I got a car with super low miles, compared to his, instead.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by mws
thanks for the word on wheel clearance, it is a start. I did use search, found nothing, but.... my search terms might not have yielded the right results. Sometimes I used the word "swap", in my searches.

I kinda didn't expect to find anything. My experience with other forums (BMW 7s and M5s M6s, 1990s Nissan 300ZX TT, or RX7 TT) is that projects like swapping one brake set for another usually don't start until around 10 years of age, for the car, and the used car price starts to achieve what I call "rich man's junk status", or around 1/5 -1/10th of original retail value. Then people start really tearing into them and doing all sorts of stuff.

when searching on the web (not just this forum), I was inspired by this thread. It possibly is prophetic.

in any case, for me: the point is moot now. Yesterday I wrapped up a deal on a nice, 2016 R from out of state, that is going on a transport early next week. 3665 miles!

No Carbon Ceramic Brakes on this one. Mr. CCB never returned my email requests, but I got a car with super low miles, compared to his, instead.
Congrats on getting your new ride and the one you want!

I have found one of the best sources for OEM to be BritCar, even though they are in UK, many times still competitive with US companies.
https://www.brit-car.co.uk/

DC

Old 08-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Received 82 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mws

I think you will love the car. Great job on finding one with such low miles; you are essentially getting a new car at half the price of a new one. Post some pics when you get it.