Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I sell my F Type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Can I sell my F Type?

Hey everyone,
I've had my 16 F-type R convertible for a few months now, and I don't know if I should keep it. I recently got a job that requires too much daily driving, so I haven't been driving it enough to justify making payments on it.

Yes, I know the car is made for driving. Sadly, I just can't drive such a nice car on the San Jose - San Francisco highways and get it hit by rocks or park it in random places or tight parking spots. It's doable, but not for me.

I put the car on craigslist a few weeks ago, but I haven't gotten serious interest. Then again, I'm not exactly sure I wanted to sell it.
The MSRP was ~$113k (IRR exterior, black/red interior, vision pack, gyrodyne wheels), and I put it up for ~$98k. Is the car too expensive?

Here is my craigslist listing:
Jaguar F-Type R AWD Convertible

Did I price it too high?
I don't "need" to sell the car, so I don't want to drop the price too much as I did when I sold my Porsche. However, it is killing me seeing this gorgeous car everyday that I can't even drive!!
So in the end... How do people sell these pricey cars?!? Am I selling it in the right venue? Is it even possible to sell this car?

PS I got a nice photo a few weeks ago taken by a friend. It's in my craigslist post, but I want to share it anyways:

Old 04-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I estimate that a 15k depreciation is reasonable, and will not entertain other offers.
The above is the main reason why you are not getting any responses. Selling brand new car without taking a big hit is impossible.

#1 Initial depreciation is at least 20%. You can't expect to sell it anywhere near MSRP when Jaguar running various promotions, as people would just buy new car instead and have longer warranty.

#2 Financing on a car like that would be a problem for most people. You have to accommodate somehow. If you already have payments on it, offer it through leasebusters or similar service.

#3 Kinds of people that are looking to buy R-type are not going to be browsing craigslist looking for a deal. You are not reaching your target audience.

#4 Someone selling car that new is always suspicious. Was it in an accident? Is there some other problem with it? You will have to address common fears.

Other problematic statements:

I will not be allowing test drives unless the future owner of the car is confirmed.
This is highly unreasonable and reads like you are being difficult and/or trying to hide something. You are not selling the car cheaply enough to dictate terms of sale like that.

The car is pretty much new...and will likely pick up another F Type later in the year.
So why sell this car? This sounds like something wrong with it.

Last edited by SinF; 04-05-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:21 PM

Thanks for your reply.
#1 20% is about 90k, which is enough to make me rethink the whole thing, although it's only a couple thousand off from what I actually wanted
#2 I can't offer financing
#3 That's what I'm asking
#4 I'll try my best!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

I was in a similar situation a while ago. I let the car sit for a year in a garage. It was there, as new as I left it, when I had time for it.

To store the car:

1. Top the gas tank to 100% full, ideally with ethanol-free fuel (might be available at the track)
2. Add fuel stabilizer
3. Over-inflate tires by 3-4 PSI
4. Disconnect the battery and tape over terminals
5. Apply leather conditioner and leave dryer sheets inside (in case of rodents)

This should be good enough for up to a year. If longer, also fog the engine and completely remove the battery.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Trade the car in for a Jaguar XE or a XF (or even a F Pace) which is more suited to be a DD. I'm sure the Jaguar dealer would love to buy the car back and would likely give more for the trade than selling it for a big loss in the open market.

If it was me, I would drive the R everywhere. (and I do because my R IS my DD). Why the hell not? It's not like it's a Ferrari or a Lambo or a Rolls Royce, it's just a Jag. An expensive one but still just a Jag. Cars are made to be driven....not put on pedestal to look at. Cars are going to depreciate whether you drive it or not, so why let it sit and rot? Drive it like you stole it. Who cares? Get your money's worth. Life is too short worrying about **** you can't control. If you're concerned about stone chips, put paint protection film on it. And since you have the Vision Pack, parking shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by psb1013; 04-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Try advertising on this forums classified, also if you are a member of JCNA you could advertise there. Cars.com and sites like that may be a better place to advertise. Look at used listings with similar mileage as your car and know that the cars will sell for less than that. If you can afford it, I'd keep the car and find a private garage to park in near work. Put a clear vinyl wrap on lower parts of car to deal with rocks and drive, drive, drive. These actions will be less expensive than the depreciation hit you'll take. It's been snowing here and I haven't driven mine for two days and I miss the car already. How can you not drive it?

Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Try advertising on this forums classified, also if you are a member of JCNA you could advertise there. Cars.com and sites like that may be a better place to advertise. Look at used listings with similar mileage as your car and know that the cars will sell for less than that. If you can afford it, I'd keep the car and find a private garage to park in near work. Put a clear vinyl wrap on lower parts of car to deal with rocks and drive, drive, drive. These actions will be less expensive than the depreciation hit you'll take. It's been snowing here and I haven't driven mine for two days and I miss the car already. How can you not drive it?

Put some snow tires on it and drive it! It's got AWD. Why not?

In Europe, I've seen guys driving their Ferrari FF's in the snow with no problem.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Don't forget that you will be paying State sales tax twice on a $100k car if you plan on picking up another one shortly. So you are throwing that away along with the 1st year depreciation. Seems like a big loss vs just holding onto it.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Trying to sell a high end car like this through CL or any other listing is very hard and truthfully very dangerous. You have no idea who will answer and will show up to see the car. The chance of being robbed and the car stolen is very high. There's no way that any legit buyer is going to bring wads of cash. They will have to arrange financing and deal with with your financing company. Perhaps the next buyer can assume the loan. If you own the car outright they will still have to find financing. I would suggest a consignment sale through a specialty car dealer , (or even a new car dealer) where inspections and test drives can be held in a safer more neutral location. Now you will have to pay a commission which will reduce your "profit". I don't understand the statement where you will probably pick up another F in a year. Any sensible person would think, 'why not hold on to this one!" It makes it seem like there is something wrong with this car, like maybe it was wrecked and repaired. Why don't you just hold onto this car and buy a good used Honda for work? Good luck to you either way you go.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Don't forget that you will be paying State sales tax twice on a $100k car if you plan on picking up another one shortly. So you are throwing that away along with the 1st year depreciation. Seems like a big loss vs just holding onto it.
It's leased (although I was definitely planning to purchase at lease conclusion), and I will almost certainly lease my next car, but yes. This still applies and it is a concern.

I seem to have misspoke. I still drive the car occasionally, I just don't drive it often. The problem here is that I am not wealthy enough that I can justify a weekend car.

I could drive it everywhere, but I honestly love the car. The advice I hear over here is making me reconsider my habits, but I can't imagine driving this car on the 101 surrounded by trucks and dust, and then parking it next to one of those guys who opens their door all the way to make sure he dinges the car next to him.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Dealers seem to be offering around $10-12k off on new 2016 cars. So on your car I would say you should expect $90-95k. A year from now you will be looking at $75-80k (if you sell yourself), and two years from now you will be looking at $60-65k.

Thats the depreciation as far as I can tell for this car.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hardwired
It's leased
You will have to pay someone to take over your lease. Why pay? Because of the initial depreciation, unless you put down large down payment.

My suggestion is to advertise it as "take over my lease $xxx/mo +incentive" instead of actual car price, as that solves financing problem for a potential buyer.

I can't imagine driving this car on the 101 surrounded by trucks and dust, and then parking it next to one of those guys who opens their door all the way to make sure he dinges the car next to him.
Such is life. Put paint protection film on it.

Last edited by SinF; 04-05-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

This will probably prove difficult for you as per the points already raised on this forum:

1. Trying to sell a car privately that is under a lease agreement - and on Craigs List!

2. Jaguar are offering huge discounts off MSRP for the F Type - your car is probably worth less than you think (always a bitter pill to swallow)

3. You can't offer finance

4. Natural suspicion over someone selling a car that is only a couple of months old

If the only concern is nervousness about driving it - just do it. Mine is my DD here on the East Coast - through wintery weather / poor road surfaces / park in car parks. After 2 years its still mint with barely any rock chips and no dings or dents to the bodywork.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pick a car you really will be comfortable with, one that is on sale, like a demo 2016 or something like that, go to that dealership, trade your car in, build the negative equity into the new car price and live with the higher payments for a while. It will have to be a benz or beamer, or jag, etc., a higher end dealership so that you get a good trade in amount. In Canada, you don't have to pay sale tax twice (you get a credit based on trade in value, not sure if that applies in the US). If you pick something on sale, the negative equity position will hurt less in the long run. And pick something that still has factory incentives i.e. low interest rates, so the negative equity wont be a big burden......

Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

This car is meant to be a DD. If the elements are a concern, spend $3k filming the whole front end, rockers and behind the rear wheels (takes care of the gravel and miscellaneous nuts and bolts flying from trade vehicles), and $1400 on 5 year ding and wheel insurance (takes care of the parking issues). That's only $4400 compared to absorbing a $25k+ loss on a premature sale.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:40 PM

Thanks for your input folks!

I'm not worried about negative equity, since I actually have positive equity. It's partly why I was sure I would buy the car. The positive equity didn't come for free of course, but it's in the past now so I'm only looking forward.

Based on what I've heard so far, I will do the following:
- Get a quote from a Jag dealer
- Reconsider the car as a daily driver

One problem I have with the clear bra is that it would actually have to, at least, cover the entire front hood. My previous f type had chips all over

Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

One problem I have with the clear bra is that it would actually have to, at least, cover the entire front hood. My previous f type had chips all over
Yes, everything from the front door hinge forward should be covered plus the rocker panels and the panels just behind the behind the rear wheels

Old 04-05-2016, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, everything from the front door hinge forward should be covered plus the rocker panels and the panels just behind the behind the rear wheels
So basically... Everywhere

Old 04-06-2016, 12:07 AM

....or just wrap the whole car if you're that scared of ruining the paint.

On my R, I only have the front bumper and front part of the hood and mirrors filmed w/X-Pel. If I get stone chips where there isn't film, so be it. I won't lose sleep over it. This isn't a Ferrari or a Lambo, and I don't plan on showing it off on some Concours circuit. Wear and tear is part of life. You can't avoid it no matter how hard you try. I didn't buy my R to stare at it. I bought it to drive the hell out of it for the next 3-4 years and then it's on to the next car.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

So basically... Everywhere
For $3k you can get what I described covered after the whole car is cQuartzed. Perhaps the best value as the cQuartz provides substantial protection as well. For close to $5k, you can get the whole car done with the top quality xPel film. (not really needed).

Quick Reply: Can I sell my F Type?