F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get garage door opener working

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can't get garage door opener working

Hi. Anyone else having problems with the garage door opener? I have a Genie garage door opener and I've tried both methods in the manual and neither seem to work. When I try to link it up using my existing remote the car seems to have received the signal because when I press the button in the car it will blink rapidly and then stay continuously lit but the garage doesn't open.

The second method mentioned in the manual says to use the program button on my garage door opener unit. I tried that and it never even picks it up.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-27-2016, 11:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Just got home from a late meeting. I'll try to send you some tips tomorrow. Mine took some extra effort.

The following users liked this post:
dennyhle (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 12:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got it working! It wasn't clear to me in the owner's manual but I found instructions online that made it more clear. I have a pre-2011 garage door opener which is Intellicode 1. I thought the owner's manual was describing an alternative method to program the opener but apparently its another step. What I was doing was trying to program button 1 with the hand-held transmitter and when that didn't work I pressed the program button on my garage door opener motor unit and tried to get it to work with button 2. You're supposed to press the previously programmed button (button 1 for me). Here are the full instructions that got it work for me.

Clear out anything previously programmed into the in-car system from the factory by holding down on the 2-outside buttons simultaneously, until the in-car LED starts flashing rapidly. This may take up to a minute (in most cases, the key should be on auxilary, and/or the car door must be shut).

Decide which button you want to make to be your in-car garage door transmitter. Hold your transmitter up near the selected button, pressing both the garage door remote and the selected in-car transmitter button simultaneously. Hold down on the buttons until the in-car, LED light flashes rapidly. This sets the in-car remote transmitter to be your garage door openers make transmitter, but you are not done. You now need to make this in-car transmitter your personal transmitter.

Go to the Learn Button on your garage door opener. The button is usually next to the area where the floppy antenna is connected to the motor head. With Genie it is most often behind the light lens, and an indicator light flashes red when pressed. With Sears or Liftmaster (Chamberlain) it is near, or part of, the terminal screw board, and is a red, green or purple square button with a green, amber or purple indicator light. Press this learn button momentarily. The indicator light will turn on and blink if Genie or otherwise stay lit. For Genie systems, go back to the in-car transmitter button you programmed and press this button 3 or 4 times, or until the door starts moving. This should set your in-car transmitter to your garage door opener. For Liftmaster, Sears, or Linear Megacode press and hold the in-car button you programmed until the garage opener light flashes.

Your in-car is now programmed to operate your door.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Another key point is to hold the mirror button much longer than you would expect. most openers will open the door as soon as the button is pressed. On the Jag, you actually have to hold the button for 2 seconds before it sends the signal.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:57 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I did the same thing with my rolling-code opener. Thought you could skip the first step and just do the second step, but it has to fail the first step for the 2nd step to work.