F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Audio Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Audio Solutions

I've been lurking a little while, wondering what to do about the terrible FType (all Jag?) car audio. Since it's such a pain to do anything about the factory system, I thought "Why not just bypass it?" I use my phone for all my media anyway. Head units are so 1995. Just disconnect everything but the center channel and rewire the rest of the audio through a headless unit.

If you don't want to use a phone, get a dedicated small tablet. Use RCAs to input to whatever amp/speaker system you want.

https://www.memphiscaraudio.com/product-page/mxamcapp-app-controled-headless-source-unit

I have searched and read quite a bit here, and I haven't seen anyone else go this direction. Sorry if this is old news.

Thoughts?

Carl, the Not-Yet-An-FType-Owner.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:06 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

The best audio in the F-Type comes from the back! Why listen to anything else?
OTOH, I find the 380W Meridian in mine perfectly acceptable - the cabin isn't a concert hall.

The following users liked this post:
djyankees31 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:21 AM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

It's unclear what your goal is/what exact problem you're trying to solve. It's possible you don't know either, given you don't have your F-Type yet...

Basically, I don't see what advantage the "headless" unit would have over the stock unit paired with your phone, but I can see a lot of disadvantages.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
OTOH, I find the 380W Meridian in mine perfectly acceptable - the cabin isn't a concert hall.
Agreed, and my car has the optional 770 watt system which is excellent - multiple settings and adjustments (which make a significant difference) and zero issues: no rattles, bass buzzing or any other problems. While not discounting certain complaints that others have stated, I have no criticism of the sytem at all...but the best sound in the F-Type is, as we all agree, from the engine and exhaust.

djyankees31 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Agreed, took my car into a Jag dealer twice to fix the rattling door speaker issue and since then the 770w sound system in my vert is more than decent. Not quite as good as something you'd get in a car sold purely on internal luxury and creature comforts, or a giant luxury SUV with tons of room for large speakers and cabinets, and it's certainly damped a little bit by the noise that bleeds through the soft top, but it has really nice crisp frequency response and a great sound stage. With that said, other than long stretches on the interstate the sound system stays off. I'd much rather listen to the amazing noises coming out of the tail pipes, and IMO it's certainly not worth a ton of my time and money to try to improve it, particularly if it impacts the UI/UX of the design of the interior surfaces with extra speakers or screens or cables, or the already-limited vert trunk space.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I've commented several times as to the complete acceptability of the base sound system in my MY2018 coupe. No buzzes, rattles, nothing. Head and shoulders better than the "premium" system that I paid extra for in my 2015 Ghibli.
And I was at one time a budding audiophile; albeit that was many years ago and the ears have probably become a bit less discerning.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm at odds with many of you here. The F-Type is by far the worst care stereo in a car I've owned in the last 20 years. Even the same year Land Rover Discovery Sport sounded and functioned far better, and that's the base model Land Rover with the lower Meridan system. I get in to rental cars that sound better. Heck, my old eGolf sounded and functioned far better.

Last edited by eeeeek; 08-18-2020 at 02:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
TwiztOG43 (08-20-2020), usgpru27 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

My 770 in my Vert has been fine. This system in the sedan and suv loaners I've had sounds better. You can only do so much in a small area. I've followed the different settings from the forum going back to '15 and found a recomended setting that has worked for me, also I don't have seats all the way back against rear speakers.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:04 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
And I was at one time a budding audiophile; albeit that was many years ago and the ears have probably become a bit less discerning.
Ah, you and me both! I'm still obsessed with audio equipment, but my ears no longer demand the best.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I'm at odds with many of you here. The F-Type is by far the worst care stereo in a car I've owned in the last 20 years. Even the same year Land Rover Discovery Sport sounded and functioned far better, and that's the base model Land Rover with the lower Meridan system. I get in to rental cars that sound better. Heck, my old eGolf sounded and functioned far better.
I second or third this statement. It is bloody terrible. Probably the worst system I have EVER heard in a car even half of it's value. The bass is muffled, the speakers are not mounted properly, and the quote from the dealership when they "fixed" the rattling speakers on the doors was "I have never seen anyone use so much duct tape to fix a speaker before". Well mechanics are not engineers, and the by-product of taping the woofer was that it can't move in and out... I basically gave up on it and listen to mostly podcasts or just the exhaust which is amazing.

The problem you will have EVEN WITH ANOTHER HEAD UNIT is that the speakers and locations don't yield a proper sounding system. Add to that the complexity of designing a proper pairing of speakers in such a small space and you will find yourself paying a ton of money for a moderate to small improvement. If the head unit didn't control many other functions of the car, it would have been much more simple to just do a replacement, but you won't easily find a solution for that.

Please be aware I am NOT a stereo expert, and I may be wrong on some of this, but I think it is pretty spot on based on my research....

The following 3 users liked this post by Breaker841:
eeeeek (08-18-2020), TwiztOG43 (08-20-2020), usgpru27 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 02:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I'm at odds with the system as well - I purchased my Jag used - never thought of trying the radio or the speakers out - was sold on the back end noise and smile on my face. Talk about hypnotized from the get go! Anyway, I'm terribly disappointed in the speaker buzz and poor sound quality of the 770 Meridian. Other than replacement of the speakers out of pocket or as others have had done years ago under warranty, I don't have that option and pretty much leave it turned off.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I've got the meridian system in mine which has an acceptable sound, oddly enough the quality improves the louder it is played though you cant really crank it up over half because it is too loud so I guess it might be the larger system. But anyway I was listening to a new compilation by USB later and I found a track that for the first time ever sounds much better in the car than it does on my home system - crisper and sharper with layers I hadnt realised were there. It was quite amazing how much better it sounded. I dont know if it is the song or the file itself. The song was this

Old 08-19-2020, 02:54 PM

I appreciate everyone's response, even those who think it's fine as is. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I don't expect everyone to hold car audio to the same standards I do, and I hold no ill will for them. Anyone who finds this topic superfluous may not want to follow it, because complaining about what someone else wants just because you disagree is unhelpful.

I'm a car guy, but also a car audio guy. I like engine tuning and suspension tuning but also audio tuning. I've worked in mechanic garages, tire shops, and car audio installation bays. I haven't raced, but I have competed in car audio and done well. So for me purchasing any car isn't an either/or proposition, sacrificing mechanical performance for audio performance or vice versa. I'm posting this because there are a few members here who I've seen have similar concerns and wondered if anyone had explored the headless system before.

The cabin may not be a concert hall, but then again why can't it be as good as possible, and not just good enough? A lot of engineering went into every aspect of the car, and for the price I would expect more from the audio system.

No, I haven't bought the car yet, because I'm trying to foresee solutions to something that I am certain to find a problem with. If there isn't a solution that satisfies me, while not a deal breaker it does move the Jag down on my list a peg.

How do I know that I'll have a problem? Well, there are at least 2 responses here that echo my concerns. A few years back there have been efforts to improve the sound of the audio, everything from replacement speakers from B&W, to a Chinese head unit, to all out custom fabrication. I know because unlike a lot of newbies I used the search function. I just figured there had to be a better way. The integration of so much of the car's ancillary systems into the infotainment system, and no one easy option to integrate aftermarket improvements into the system, is the central point of frustration. So I was looking for options to bypass it without *******izing or ruining the car or lose functionality. That's where the headless system idea comes in.

Yes, much of the system will be custom. The headless system will do audio chores, like radio and Bluetooth. All the speakers except 1 or both of the center channels will be disconnected from the infotainment system. Instead the headless system RCA (low signal) outs will go to a quality amplifier (or 2 or 3) which will then power replacement speakers in either factory locations or custom fabricated ones. Since I do (have done in the past) car audio custom fabrication, labor and design costs are nil, counted as "hobby time."

I expect to modify the door panels and the woofer spots are there to include 8" subs and a small enclosure where the pocket used to be. I may use the factory tweeter spot as is and replace it, or fabricate something more esoteric. We'll see. The rear sub/speaker may or may not be used. Again, we'll see. It may be necessary to include a mid or mid-bass in the kick panels, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Electronic elements like amps, crossovers, and DSPs can go anywhere, but will likely be in the trunk/boot.

Anyway, again, I appreciate all the comments before and any to come. At least going in I feel hopeful enough about this solution to move forward with my F-Type shopping.

Thanks all.

Taylorguy74 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I tend to think a lot of the problem is just the shape of the cabin. The same system as mine in our previous XE sounded heaps better in the sedan. It also depends on what music you listen to. The B & w system I had in my first XF and XKR won awards but as far as I was concerned it was worse than rubbish. But then it sounded fine for acoustic guitar and I am told it was excellent for Jazz, but I listen to barely any acoustic and no jazz. The surround sound in my missus' new XE is excellent, but not very loud.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:00 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I tend to think a lot of the problem is just the shape of the cabin.
On the plus side, you're unlikely to get standing waves!

Old 08-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

If the "headless unit" is only handling audio inputs/outputs then I assume all the functionality remains for the rest of the cars infotainment system (nav, climate, phone) ????
Sounds like and interesting project, how is the volume controlled ?

Old 08-19-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
If the "headless unit" is only handling audio inputs/outputs then I assume all the functionality remains for the rest of the cars infotainment system (nav, climate, phone) ????
Sounds like and interesting project, how is the volume controlled ?
The term "headless" is a little misdirecting. All the controls are via an app, so the phone or tablet become the controlling "head." Or if a standalone DSP is used between the "headless" and the amp, many of those have a controller that would do volume, eq, etc., or via their own app.

For example, the Memphis Audio unit I linked has an app for full functionality and a small button manual interface for basic channel & volume controls.

Yes, the idea is to keep all the Jaguar system functionality, but use a different, parallel system to provide audio.

Last edited by VirgoMan69; 08-19-2020 at 10:42 PM.
madmax1911 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 04:23 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by VirgoMan69
The term "headless" is a little misdirecting. All the controls are via an app, so the phone or tablet become the controlling "head." Or if a standalone DSP is used between the "headless" and the amp, many of those have a controller that would do volume, eq, etc., or via their own app.

For example, the Memphis Audio unit I linked has an app for full functionality and a small button manual interface for basic channel & volume controls.

Yes, the idea is to keep all the Jaguar system functionality, but use a different, parallel system to provide audio.
Well hopefully you find your F type and get into this project, I am always interested in upgrades of any kind.
Best of luck.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added a 4th order sub box in the trunk with a 1200 watt amp and cut most all the bass out of the front speakers and completely out of the subs behind the seats. Helped a lot.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:58 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, I have 2 XK8's and the stock systems are awful, one I completed a few years ago with what I'd call good sound, the other one I'm working on now and it's going to have GREAT sound. As for the amp, took it out. The stock radio, took it out. Not only does the stock radio have terrible reception, but the output is weak. I've always like the tuners on Panasonic heads and that's the brand I went with. What I DID keep is the wiring in the dash and doors. Didn't feel the need to rewire it as the standard is fine. I rewired the woofers and subs with heavy duty wire to handle the power. Just get a schematic for the sound system for color ID of the wires at the amp. I put in crossovers and amps in the trunk at the old amp location, 1 for upper to mid bass and 1 for subs.

In addition to inferior stock drivers, the stock subwoofer cabs in the rear are undersized and don't give enough internal space to tune the cabs,even if you do find a 6.5" driver that will fit, they still don't hit very low. On the first project, I stuffed the cab with as much batting as I could to get as low as possible, but still not happy with it. On the current project, I took the cabs out and am building them from scratch. I'm using styrofoam, shaping it (where I am now) and fiberglassing over it. I'm using every possible airspace and the cab is an irregular shape, but I've been able to use every bit of the available space. I've been able to get almost 2.5 times larger cabs and they're exactly what the sub manufacturer suggests. I'm also adding an 8" sub on the passenger side under the dash behind the glove box. That shape is more 'square' and using 1/4" MDF and fiberglass over it to stiffen it up.

For the speakers, any good 6.5 woofer/midbass that's not too deep will fit in the doors. The speakers in the dash, I replaced with good, higher power handling midranges, you can also use a good quality full range and just cross it over to midrange. I did this on the first XK8 and it was a blessing in disguise. Since the vocals are mostly in the midrange, by separating this speaker from the tweeter and midbass/woofer in the doors, it gave amazing sound imaging. Just like on a theater system, the center speaker handles mostly midrange and a little bass for just the vocals. The vocals are in the front where the actors are on the screen and makes if feel more accurate to the real world, by having the mids in the dash, it give a similar experience to live music on stage. Of course the other speakers blend in with the mids so there's no 'holes' the imaging is just subtle enough that a person with a good ear for sound will pick up on it and appreciate it.

I'm also redoing the upholstery at the same time, so, updating everything and will post pics when done. As for speakers, I bought from Amazon and Parts Express, PE has a HUGE assortment of speakers to choose from and it really helps when working in tight spaces to match up the right drivers for the available space. If you're a car guy AND a car audio guy, you know there will be mods, but it takes some creativity and engineering to make it a great system. I probably spent as much time physically working on the system as I did researching the parts to go into it.

Quick Reply: Car Audio Solutions