F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Was Broken Into - Transmitter / Code Grabber Used

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Car Was Broken Into - Transmitter / Code Grabber Used

Okay, maybe the title is a little sensationalist to get people to read this, but I think that's what happened... you tell me.

Came to the car this morning. My handle was in the closed position. My wife had the spare key in her purse (I left mine inside) and was walking slower than I to the car, so I stood there waiting for her to open her door. She says, 'babe, your window is down'. It rained last night and my window was most certainly up, but I didn't think anything of it... The handle on her door was also in the 'open' position.

She opens the car and the alarm proceeds to go off... she gets the key out and 'unlocks' the car and it goes off...

...no big deal right?

Two seconds later, I get two fraud alerts on two credit cards. I didn't think anything of it at the moment... I then realized that my wallet and a pair of sunglasses are gone.

Long story short.

Some a$$hole somehow, got into my car, without using a key, somehow got the window to roll down and let the door handle stay open, while having the car in 'armed' mode setting off the alarm when my wife tried to get in.

I have no other explanation. I can't think of any scenario where I can lock my doors and somehow leave the passenger window open and the door handle unlocked on the passenger side, but not the drivers side... the only explanation that fits is that someone used a code grabber or some sort of transmitter to unlock/roll windows down.

Wouldn't be the first time my car was stolen or broken in to (previous cars).

Apparently, I have really bad luck...

...any thoughts? Any other ideas? I waited to post this after thinking long and hard what else could have happened and like I said, this is the only thing that I can think would logically explain what happened.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Sorry to hear. They probably got in via your unlocked fuel filler cap... ;-)

Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Okay, maybe the title is a little sensationalist to get people to read this, but I think that's what happened... you tell me.

Came to the car this morning. My handle was in the closed position. My wife had the spare key in her purse (I left mine inside) and was walking slower than I to the car, so I stood there waiting for her to open her door. She says, 'babe, your window is down'. It rained last night and my window was most certainly up, but I didn't think anything of it... The handle on her door was also in the 'open' position.

She opens the car and the alarm proceeds to go off... she gets the key out and 'unlocks' the car and it goes off...

...no big deal right?

Two seconds later, I get two fraud alerts on two credit cards. I didn't think anything of it at the moment... I then realized that my wallet and a pair of sunglasses are gone.

Long story short.

Some a$$hole somehow, got into my car, without using a key, somehow got the window to roll down and let the door handle stay open, while having the car in 'armed' mode setting off the alarm when my wife tried to get in.

I have no other explanation. I can't think of any scenario where I can lock my doors and somehow leave the passenger window open and the door handle unlocked on the passenger side, but not the drivers side... the only explanation that fits is that someone used a code grabber or some sort of transmitter to unlock/roll windows down.

Wouldn't be the first time my car was stolen or broken in to (previous cars).

Apparently, I have really bad luck...

...any thoughts? Any other ideas? I waited to post this after thinking long and hard what else could have happened and like I said, this is the only thing that I can think would logically explain what happened.
So sorry for what happened, I'm sure its very frustrating.. I have no clue as to what could have happened here, perhaps discuss with a detective that works in the B&E section as they may not the latest techniques that these creeps us.
I never, ever, leave anything of value in my car(s) and if I do it has to be in a car trunk that I can turn the key in to disallow any electronic or otherwise, opening, without a key.
Thieves can shine a light in the car and see whatever you have in it.. if you have it in the glovebox, they may break in anyway on anticipation.
So, if I get broken into, I don't need to worry about credit cards, I.D. and so forth and the thief gets nothing.
I've had situations where other cars got broken into in a downtown parking garage, but mine was passed up, likely because they could not see anything worth stealing.
If you find out how they got in and perhaps anyway to thwart them in the future, please let us know.
Lawrence.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

When I leave my car parked outside at unguarded public parking lots I put a typed sign on the steering wheel that says: "No valuables inside", and make sure that I do not have anything visible.

As to your credit cards being swiped; all it takes is a swipe with a magnetic reading device. They easily could have done it without taking your cards.

At least they did not damage the car. That's the main thing. You will get compensated for the credit card losses, if any. The bank may have stopped them in time.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by swajames
Sorry to hear. They probably got in via your unlocked fuel filler cap... ;-)

LMFAO - I almost made a comment about that possible area of intrusion.

AXR6 - They stole my whole wallet, they didn't swipe it and leave them there.

The idiots tried to buy something on Walmart.com. Thankfully, they actually have a department that handles these things and provided you filed a police report, they will divulge as much as they can. So God willing, I will have an address or name to go with this and in some time, their method of gaining access to my car.

I had an Escalade stolen out of my driveway (that I made mention of before). Not much you can do if someone really really wants your stuff.

If it wasn't some sort of code grabber (which wouldn't make much sense since I don't ever use my lock button on the FOB), then there is a bug in the car that for some reason, somehow, rolled my window down, unlocked ONE door, left the alarm armed and then coincidentally enough, some jerkoff was walking by my car and reached in...

...was probably a 13 year old with a Nexus 5, an RF transmitter, 5 lines of custom JAVA and some bubble gum.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

good news is there was no damage. Still, if your theory is right, that's a worry for all of us.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Interested to learn what you find out.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hopefully there's not a flaw in the window motor that allows it to be back-driven just by hand pressure.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Any chance therevis a auto opening feature on your car windows? My XFvhas it and I deactivated it as I accidentally activated the feature with my key fob from my house. Odd that just one window down as it is typically a global feature.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM

The auto open feature requires you to hold the unlock button for ten seconds give or take. Also, the passenger side door handle was extended and when my wife tried to open the door, the alarm went off...

...so there is very little chance that this is a motor glitch that just happened to coincide with a random person walking by my parking spot and thinking, 'let's see what we have'.

Car is unharmed. Window works fine. CSI unit got a bunch of prints and since I just detailed the car Thursday, there is no chance any of the prints are anyone's but me, my wife and whomever touched my Car today...

...so God willing, they are in a database somewhere.

They also ordered off Walmart.com and they have a division that divulges info regarding an order placed once you file a police report. So again, hopefully we get the location of where the goods were being sent.