F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Dies at Low Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
And you still do not want to disconnect the start/stop system to test? It will take less than 5 minutes and will have no effect whatever on any other function of the car. If the symptom disappears with the start/stop system disabled, then you have identified and isolated the problem. If, on the other hand, the problem persists with this ultra-simple test being made, you will have eliminated the stop/start system as the culprit. Either way you will have gained a better understanding of the issue (and so will the rest of us). It will cost you nothing more than a few minutes of your time.
And it is true that in many instances the dealers know LESS than the collective voices on this forum. Please disconnect the start/stop system and report the result.

Here's the deal. The issue has been escalated to Jaguar Service National. Multiple parties are involved. I do not want to inject myself into the repair process and then be accused of being the problem. I will keep the forum updated on the process and the ultimate solution (hopefully.) If, after a reasonable amount of time there is no resolution by Jaguar, then the resolution becomes a buy back of an unsafe vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (08-05-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
The car now will shut down, but remain in Drive which is even crazier.
Maybe another thing to test here -
Bring the car to a stop with the engine running and gearbox in Drive. Press the button to shut down the engine. The engine will shut down and gear box should automatically shift into park.

Also, regarding the battery, did you dealer already check all the voltages and resistance of battery grounding?

Hope the issues will be figured out soon!

Old 08-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by superwuhan33
Maybe another thing to test here -
Bring the car to a stop with the engine running and gearbox in Drive. Press the button to shut down the engine. The engine will shut down and gear box should automatically shift into park.

Also, regarding the battery, did you dealer already check all the voltages and resistance of battery grounding? Checked by Shop Foreman yesterday. Thanks.

Hope the issues will be figured out soon!
You and me both.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:04 PM

The car has been returned to me with a data logger installed. When it stalls while in my possession the logger will send the info to Jaguar (I believe in New Jersey) and will be analyzed. I was told other Jags are exhibiting the same behavior. It may sound odd coming from me in the midsts of this problem, but everyone at Momentum Jaguar Houston has been superb and JLR is also working to resolve this problem. Very pleased with the service thus far.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The car has been returned to me with a data logger installed. When it stalls while in my possession the logger will send the info to Jaguar (I believe in New Jersey) and will be analyzed. I was told other Jags are exhibiting the same behavior. It may sound odd coming from me in the midsts of this problem, but everyone at Momentum Jaguar Houston has been superb and JLR is also working to resolve this problem. Very pleased with the service thus far.
What year model do you have? (Sig block doesn’t appear on smartphone).

Old 08-16-2019, 09:13 PM

2020 F Type R Coupe

Old 08-17-2019, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

2020 F Type R Coupe
If other cars are exhibiting this problem, it is likely limited to the new models, as this is the first mention on this forum.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

2020 F Type R Coupe
So I'll chime in. This *may* have happened to me in my 2020. I had a single instance in the first few hundred miles of owning the car where something futzed as I was nearing a stoplight and the engine cut.

I had cars behind me as well so I was moving fast to get it restarted and get out of the way. I think what happened is that I was feathering the brake pedal in just such a way to cause the eco-stop to kick in, but then somehow the system got confused as I let up on the brake pressure at the exact moment the engine shut off. I think basically it got confused on the eco restart process and didn't know what state it was in.

I was not rolling (that I remember), and was stationary for probably a half-second when this happened. In the subsequent 2500 miles I have not seen this reproduced but I am admittedly more attentive to turning off stop/start before I go anywhere.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:34 PM

I don't believe Eco Stop/Start is the culprit. When it dies, it is in drive, the engine is off, and the red battery icon is illuminated in the dash. Belief it is a faulty component or software related. Hopefully, the data logger will guide the engineers to the problem.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:24 PM

Car died a little over a week ago. Data logger registered the event and Jaguar Service National analyzed the event. The verdict is a software issue where the electrical system acts as if it is overloaded and shuts down. (I am not a technical person so please forgive the simplistic explanation provided by me.) At any rate Jaguar is working on a software fix. My understanding is that they have seen this with other 2020 Jags. I feel like a test pilot..............

Old 10-14-2019, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on this?

Old 10-14-2019, 01:52 PM

Jaguar National has determined it is a software issue and they have developed a software patch to resolve the issue. They are working through the regulatory hurdles for issuing a software update and it should be rolled out to the dealers in the next month or two. This is a problem that is related to the load the a/c system puts on the electrical system so it affects cars in the hottest climates during the hottest months.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear they are going to roll out the fix quickly. Thanks for the update.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by halcyondays
jaguar national has determined it is a software issue and they have developed a software patch to resolve the issue. They are working through the regulatory hurdles for issuing a software update and it should be rolled out to the dealers in the next month or two. This is a problem that is related to the load the a/c system puts on the electrical system so it affects cars in the hottest climates during the hottest months.
that wasnt your flooded r that came in totalled then recently????