Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car & Driver's comment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Car & Driver's comment.

From an article on the 2015 Cayman GTS:
"The Jaguar F-type is a noisy glamour queen that lacks the Porsches’ lightness of touch,"

From an article on the F-Type:
"The F-type’s sharp handling, bad-*** attitude, and gorgeous styling make for an extremely desirable coupe or convertible.
. . . The F-type’s firm, well-tuned suspension provides precision when you want it and gratuitous tail-wagging when you don’t."

Really !?!?!?!?

Last edited by petemohr; 12-23-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I think that's a fair metaphor.

Many F-Type owners are former Porsche owners and have made similar observations on this forum. The F-Type is often characterized here as "gorgeous," "bawdy," "outrageous," "fun," and "a car with character and soul." The Porsche on the other hand is more often described as "like a scalpel," "precise," "sterile," and "a go fast machine without drama."

Old 12-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 603 Likes on 408 Posts

Foosh is on point and my own debate was between a Cayman GTS and the F-Type.

In the end, all I have to say is, "God save the Queen!"

Old 12-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

From someone that's worked on the other side of the automotive rag business, opinions vary from writer to writer, and editors aren't what they used to be as far as keeping uniformity among staff--especially these days.

Take everything you read that's subjective with a grain of salt as most writers have had a driver license for less than 10 years and have very little experience comparing/driving for a few days the types of cars most of the members of this forum have had the luxury of daily driving.

Also the almighty dollar owns all, those that spend the most on advertising have the least to worry about as far as negative comments, regardless of what the magazines say to defend themselves in this regard. They are just businesses (which is more apparent than ever).

The only reason I pick up a C&D, MT, etc is to look at the VBox numbers they generate. Even then the reader must take into account what season the vehicle was tested in and what octane was used as both magazines test in 93 and 91 octane states.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:06 AM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

I find many of the Car and Driver reviews/articles annoying to say the least. They love to trash talk a vehicle for any minor imperfection that many times is really subjective. Are they EVER going to review the base model of ANY car? All of their "test" cars are loaded with almost every single option possible. Thus the articles are sort of an advertisement for the brand more so than a subjective, factual review.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XJL
I find many of the Car and Driver reviews/articles annoying to say the least. They love to trash talk a vehicle for any minor imperfection that many times is really subjective. Are they EVER going to review the base model of ANY car? All of their "test" cars are loaded with almost every single option possible. Thus the articles are sort of an advertisement for the brand more so than a subjective, factual review.
Agreed on the annoying comment. If you take a look at the staffers at MT for instance, in the back pages where they are given the freedom to bitch and moan about their gripes with the long term vehicle they were given to drive for the majority of its 40,000 mile stay, you'll see many if not most are still young enough to use Clearasil face wash.

One particular contributor "Nate Martinez" and his Subaru WRX make me particularly ill. I've never seen someone so excited to have a factory add-on body kit installed by a dealer. Something that will yield absolutely zero performance gains on or off road, with OEM or aftermarket tires, is a total waste.

Sure the "kids" may be loving it, but I don't know many teenagers that subscribe to rags that come in the mail these days--I think they're missing their target demo by a longshot. That said, I thankfully don't know many teenagers these days.

I also find it annoying that pertinent performance data has yielded page space to empg, C02 emissions, etc. I guess someone's listening to our POTUS's rants about climate change being our nation's greatest threat.

As far as not testing base models, this isn't necessarily the magazines fault as the options on press cars are dictated by the manu's.

The following users liked this post:
drbill (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by XJL
Are they EVER going to review the base model of ANY car? All of their "test" cars are loaded with almost every single option possible.
+1. Never thought I would feel the need to "apologize" for spending "only" $70k+ on a car since its "only" a base model! OMG...it's got a manual trans to boot!!!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I subscribe to the big 4 plus Autoweek, this gives me a good view of everything. But I still buy what i want , just avoid surprises.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
+1. Never thought I would feel the need to "apologize" for spending "only" $70k+ on a car since its "only" a base model! OMG...it's got a manual trans to boot!!!
would you care to share your thoughts with us regarding the 6sp manual? it seems like a tremendous drivers car!! congrats on a cool ride a nd one deliberately spec'd!!

Old 12-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
I guess someone's listening to our POTUS's rants about climate change being our nation's greatest threat.
As a forum sponsor hoping to drum up business, it is probably best to leave politics out of your posts.

LobsterClaws (12-25-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Liked the article however when he said experienced the stereo system would have been nice to hear if it had the rattles or not as mine does.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:16 PM
DFW
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think there is anything in the article that surprises an objective F-Type owner. I've got a MT vert and know the car is sometimes making more noise than being "fast."

However, that's one of the reasons I left the BMW 550 - they all look the same, too quiet a driving experience and it seems you see one at every intersection.

I wanted something different and am enjoying the driving experience.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
Agreed on the annoying comment. If you take a look at the staffers at MT for instance, in the back pages where they are given the freedom to bitch and moan about their gripes with the long term vehicle they were given to drive for the majority of its 40,000 mile stay, you'll see many if not most are still young enough to use Clearasil face wash.

One particular contributor "Nate Martinez" and his Subaru WRX make me particularly ill. I've never seen someone so excited to have a factory add-on body kit installed by a dealer. Something that will yield absolutely zero performance gains on or off road, with OEM or aftermarket tires, is a total waste.

Sure the "kids" may be loving it, but I don't know many teenagers that subscribe to rags that come in the mail these days--I think they're missing their target demo by a longshot. That said, I thankfully don't know many teenagers these days.

I also find it annoying that pertinent performance data has yielded page space to empg, C02 emissions, etc. I guess someone's listening to our POTUS's rants about climate change being our nation's greatest threat.

As far as not testing base models, this isn't necessarily the magazines fault as the options on press cars are dictated by the manu's.
I stopped getting all those magazines a few years back for the same reason. I read some essay in one of them from a supposed car-guy who thought it was cool to watch how a Prius' dash lit up in some way when his carbon footprint got smaller or some such nonsense. And all the frothing at the mouth about Asian cars.... jeez, they all look like the same car! Simply appliances, that's it! The car mags tend to measure all of this objective data about a class of cars when most of us don't drive them to their performance envelopes anyway. It's all about the subjective things for me when I'm looking at a vehicle. Jaguar has grabbed me by the throat with the F-type; I'm smitten. I don't give a **** if a Cayman has a better g-number when cornering. I guy I know says it best: "If you don't turn around and look at your car after you park it, maybe you're in the wrong car!"

Old 12-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by drbill
... I guy I know says it best: "If you don't turn around and look at your car after you park it, maybe you're in the wrong car!"
I always drive by the mirrored buildings so I can see myself DRIVING it!. Damn it Jaguar, you've made me vain!

pembroke (01-02-2016)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by drbill
I stopped getting all those magazines a few years back for the same reason. I read some essay in one of them from a supposed car-guy who thought it was cool to watch how a Prius' dash lit up in some way when his carbon footprint got smaller or some such nonsense. And all the frothing at the mouth about Asian cars.... jeez, they all look like the same car! Simply appliances, that's it! The car mags tend to measure all of this objective data about a class of cars when most of us don't drive them to their performance envelopes anyway. It's all about the subjective things for me when I'm looking at a vehicle. Jaguar has grabbed me by the throat with the F-type; I'm smitten. I don't give a **** if a Cayman has a better g-number when cornering. I guy I know says it best: "If you don't turn around and look at your car after you park it, maybe you're in the wrong car!"
Nail on head. I recall one of the writers bragging about his hypermiling skills. This is supposed to be a magazine about performance cars and a paid employee is bragging about pressing the gas pedal 1/100th of its travel when accelerating from a stop; frustrating God knows how many other actual drivers on the road behind him for ***** and giggles?

As "DT" would say, he needed "schlonged" in a bad way.

While I may never have been stuck behind said assclown I have no problem compensating for his lack of carbon footprint with unnecessary WOT runs and by not upshifting when possible.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts
Default [re] Comments, Reviews, Advice, Etc.

In my experience I've found that who I trust to receive "comments", "reviews", "advice", "etc". is ever dwindling and extremely limited. Unless there is a preponderance of a consensus - and even then I like to trust and form my own opinions - I rarely take anything with more than with, as VMaxTuning opined, a grain of salt.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-23-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I always drive by the mirrored buildings so I can see myself DRIVING it!. Damn it Jaguar, you've made me vain!
One of the reasons why I don't mind seeing more and more on the road around me. Now I get to enjoy looking at the exterior as well as having fun in the seat.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:17 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Many F-Type owners are former Porsche owners and have made similar observations on this forum. The F-Type is often characterized here as "gorgeous," "bawdy," "outrageous," "fun," and "a car with character and soul." The Porsche on the other hand is more often described as "like a scalpel," "precise," "sterile," and "a go fast machine without drama."
Yep, that's me. Don't miss my 911 turbo at all! God save the queen indeed mates!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

LynxFX
Was your comment to VMax Tuning out of your overwhelming concern for their business or an attempt at censorship? Completely inappropriate.

MagnumPI (12-24-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I also take what I hear, and read with a grain of salt. Heck, with the media the best thing is to watch multiple sources, read multiple things etc., and try to conclude what I think is right! Now how does this tie to a report on an automobile?

Hands down, the F-Type meets my needs for sure and there are many of my friends who are Porsche supporters forever. They eat, drink and sleep "Porsche". I have never owned a Porsche (surprise to my wife as there is a car that I haven't owned!) They fit a purpose for some, but not for others... I was intrigued by the posts on the new Lincoln and how some thought it was so ugly, others thought not. It caught my attention, and couldn't write that it was "absolutely" the nicest car, or definitely the worst. It appeals to some and not to others......, it happened to appeal to me like the old time feel of the old Mark IV's in the day, plush insides etc. Would I buy one, probably not, as not sure if I could get into that look again. But then again, maybe on a whim in the right color, possibly yes. Either way, no right or wrong.

I love the Jags and the UK has it right with the Beatles, Stones, Adele, and my babies.....2015 F-Type S Convertible, and 2014 XJL, two very nice machines that satisfy this guys needs.

No right, no wrong.....just a pre-Christmas viewpoint here. Enjoy your Holiday everybody....Peace!

Quick Reply: Car & Driver's comment.