F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car go boom

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The most amusing part of this is that in the new R that I wanted, they found me one, but I didn't like the wheels.
The wheels are one of the $2500 options.

I suggested that they leave that on the book as the paid option, I pay that, but they swap it out for cheaper wheels, which I want - a $1500 option difference.

I didn't want any sort of discount, I just wanted those other wheels, and in exchange they can keep the more expensive ones.

And they just flat out won't change the wheels at all.

I'm aware that the car is already generated, has those wheels, and is on the way to the US - so they can't change that.
But I'm saying, order the wheels to the dealer, and when the car shows, swap them out - I just want the other wheels.

Nope. Won't do.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
I'm in MA, the car is covered under the first level (low miles, new car).
But for any Big Deal stuff, it has to have had three good faith repair attempts fail on the same issue.

So would need 3 engine replacements before it is considered a lemon basically in this case.

Went here:
CONTACT US
Used that number for cust service, that seems to be the same as the LR one, 3 looped around again - same weird issue - but option 9 (they don't say it, but site does and manual link did too), gets you to someone (then option 2).

Someone at Jag is looking to see if the dealer is doing this correctly.
That's bad. In Illinois if the car is out of service for 30 business days (which is a cinch in your case) it's a lemon; or, better yet, if it has a "nonconformity" which substantially impairs use or future market value it can also be considered a lemon. Seems a new engine would trigger either condition.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM

Assuming I'm reading it correctly:
New and Leased Car Lemon Law

I've contacted Jag and asked them to talk to the dealer and confirm they are handling this properly.

The dealer won't give the trade in that I feel (not just me, but external sources) is fair, and they noted a deadline for a car that they found (may be legit, but anytime a sale has a deadline I don't really trust it).

Could all be totally legit, but really annoyed at this point.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Assuming I'm reading it correctly:
New and Leased Car Lemon Law

I've contacted Jag and asked them to talk to the dealer and confirm they are handling this properly.

The dealer won't give the trade in that I feel (not just me, but external sources) is fair, and they noted a deadline for a car that they found (may be legit, but anytime a sale has a deadline I don't really trust it).

Could all be totally legit, but really annoyed at this point.
I am not an attorney but after reading the MA lemon law it seems that if you take your car to the dealer to be repaired and they exceed the 15 business day limit to have it repaired you then must give the manufacturer (not the dealer) one final repair opportunity, not to exceed seven business days, to fix the defect. This is usually the date the manufacturer receives a final repair opportunity letter from you.

If after the seven business days notice to the manufacturer, the substantial defect has not been repaired, you have the right to a refund or replacement under the Lemon Law.

Any attorneys out there wish to weight in?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What a total nightmare. Good luck moving forward.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I am not an attorney but after reading the MA lemon law it seems that if you take your car to the dealer to be repaired and they exceed the 15 business day limit to have it repaired you then must give the manufacturer (not the dealer) one final repair opportunity, not to exceed seven business days, to fix the defect. This is usually the date the manufacturer receives a final repair opportunity letter from you.

If after the seven business days notice to the manufacturer, the substantial defect has not been repaired, you have the right to a refund or replacement under the Lemon Law.

Any attorneys out there wish to weight in?
I spoke to my attorney friend and you are correct.
It needs to be within the first year of ownership, or 15k miles, whichever is first (check).
It needs the above (likely check, given what timelines look like).

And then the big one, you have to show that the resale value of the car post fix would be 10% or more of a reduction in value than if the car were otherwise fine.

So from what I am seeing from the dealer just on their trade in offer, I probably am at the 10% or more issue, and the rest is feasible.

So now need to look into the relevant addresses for the dealer, Jaguar, and MA to send the legal paperwork.

So incredibly annoying - would so much rather they just play along.

Talking to another dealer as well to see if they will just do the reasonable trade I had offered this dealer. I would love to never deal with these guys again where I am now.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Spoke to new dealer, they had Jag Svc rep there.
They spoke to him, he spoke to my dealer.

They have now come back and said "You know that deal we told you to GFY over? We will totally do that now."

Waiting on the new dealer to see what offer they can/will do, as I would like to get away from this current one if possible.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope you are getting every dime you put into the "Boom Jag" back including taxes and fees from the deal.

Don't be surprised if dealer #2 does not make you a better deal and you end up with dealer #1. I had this happen to me years ago when I had found a Cadillac at one store and went into the one I had been doing business with for years to have it DX'd over to my favorite dealer. Overheard sales manager discussing with sales manager of other store that had the car who should sell it to me. These guys all know each other...

Bobert

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (07-04-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 12:04 PM

If I push the Lemon Law, then I think I can get full price/tax/fees back minus reasonable depreciation due to wear and tear (only really relevant in higher miles).

But that is a big hassle.

At this point, just riding it out to see - waiting to hear back today/tomorrow from the Jag investigation I asked their dispute group to start, and waiting to hear from #2 dealer.

#1 dealer has a rep in this larger area as being awful and I went with them due to them having the car I wanted on the lot, but would love to get away from them.
#2 dealer is smaller mom and pop place, relatively speaking, compared to #1 - so not sure how much they are friendly. I have many friends in the car world and they are connected, and they hate dealer #1.

That said, I don't even remotely expect #2 to do anything to help me out in any way, just because of any dislike for #1.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

To be safe I would send that letter out after 15 days. Then if they have not fixed it after the 7 days and you have not worked out a deal suitable deal, you could get a refund for the full purchase price, taxes, etc, less the use allowance which would be about $3650.00 if the original purchase price was $100,000.00.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jleuz1
To be safe I would send that letter out after 15 days. Then if they have not fixed it after the 7 days and you have not worked out a deal suitable deal, you could get a refund for the full purchase price, taxes, etc, less the use allowance which would be about $3650.00 if the original purchase price was $100,000.00.
The big additional point is that one needs to show that:
* use
* market value
or
* safety
of vehicle is substantially impaired (after the repair).
If all three, then the state is always in your favor.

Use is not, safety is questionable, and the main one would be market value.

Have to show that if I tried to sell without the repair being required, that I would get 10% or more than I will now, with this.
Not a lot of data out there, so working on that now.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Progress - moving forward with my offer.

Traveling to Vegas for the long weekend, will know more in a bit.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hello omgomg,

Sorry to hear of the issues you are facing. Please can you PM me the following details and I will pass them onto the relevant department to get this looked at as soon as possible:
Full Name
Email
Telephone
VIN (if you have it)
Dealer involved

Many Thanks

Mike

Lothar52 (07-07-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Thanks Mike!
I will send you a PM, although the dealer is currently working with me (and Jag corp it seems), so it may be a moot point.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM

Spoke to dealer, the car is on the way to the lot, should be there around the 16th.
This is roughly the config - at least the white, black pack, red interior pack, those wheels, glass roof.

Build your F-TYPE - SUMMARY

Picking up a loaner tomorrow.

Going to Jag Perf school this weekend for Level 1 and 2 at Monticello, and then may have new car the following weekend.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 AM

The Jaguar Performance School is amazing.

Also, didn't think I would notice a major difference between the V8S convertible and the Coupe R, but wow - definite difference, and the car is phenomenal.

2015 XJR L (07-06-2023)
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on the R! Glad everything worked out for you.

2015 XJR L (07-06-2023)
Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by PD2911
Congrats on the R! Glad everything worked out for you...
X2...glad you were taken care of...new pics of your car needed when it arrives!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:58 PM

Car arrived at dealer this morning, I go in the morning tomorrow to pick it up.

Considering the convertible took 8 hours to buy, I don't have high hopes of a quick pickup, but will be fun soon enough.

Immediately driving up to a friend's lake house and then going on a mountain drive with some friends. Going to purposely take a longer side road route up there to make for varying speeds.

I will try to get some pictures to post for next week.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Car arrived at dealer this morning, I go in the morning tomorrow to pick it up.

Considering the convertible took 8 hours to buy, I don't have high hopes of a quick pickup, but will be fun soon enough.

Immediately driving up to a friend's lake house and then going on a mountain drive with some friends. Going to purposely take a longer side road route up there to make for varying speeds.

I will try to get some pictures to post for next week.
Great!

Let's hope no more "car go boom" post surface!

Quick Reply: car go boom