Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car jerks when put in drive every morning

anyone else encountering this issue. CAr jerks pretty hard every morning

Old 11-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Are you putting in D instantly after starting? If so, that would certainly cause what you describe, and you should let it idle for 5 seconds or so before selecting R or D.

As I'm sure you're aware, the start-up is associated with high revs, initially.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Are you putting in D instantly after starting? If so, that would certainly cause what you describe, and you should let it idle for 5 seconds or so before selecting R or D.

As I'm sure you're aware, the start-up is associated with high revs, initially.
No, what I believe he's referring to is after the fast idle comes down, the first time it's put into D (after any other gear) it shifts very firmly...mine does the same thing...and I find myself pressing the brake pedal down pretty good to avoid it from jerking.

Mine goes into reverse first then into D and the first time it's always quite firm and then fine afterwards.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
No, what I believe he's referring to is after the fast idle comes down, the first time it's put into D (after any other gear) it shifts very firmly...mine does the same thing...and I find myself pressing the brake pedal down pretty good to avoid it from jerking.

Mine goes into reverse first then into D and the first time it's always quite firm and then fine afterwards.
Hmmm . . . I guess it depends upon your definition of "jerks." I never noticed any difference if I let it idle for a couple of seconds after start, but I'll pay attention next time to see if there is any difference after the initial gear selection.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Never had a "jerking problem" but I can tell you that there is no need to apply the throttle to get the car moving. If you're inattentive enough at a stop light to remove your foot from the brake, the car is going to move forward and slowly accelerate.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Perhaps if you didn't put the jerks in the drive in the morning?

Mine does jerk, but only on my drive - which is on a gradient.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

On startup there's an initial high rev, the purpose of which is simply to impress the gallery. After that it will idle at 1600 rpm for about 15 seconds. You should leave it in Park during this time. That warm-up period serves a function and shouldn't be interrupted. It has probably been jerking because you haven't been waiting.

You can use the time to turn off the eco stop-start and attach your seatbelt. If any time remains, just tough it out. Or recite a poem. When the idle drops to below 1000 rpm you can put it in D. It shouldn't clunk or jerk.

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (11-21-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine does the same thing unless I hold the break firmly after shifting into D from R.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:49 AM

yes, that sounds more accurate to what I'm encountering. It's only in the morning though, throughout the day it doesn't do it. I will try to wait about 5 seconds and see if it does it (although I think I wait more than that already).

I do have to press the break really hard but there's still a firm "jerk"

Old 11-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by perfectson
yes, that sounds more accurate to what I'm encountering. It's only in the morning though, throughout the day it doesn't do it. I will try to wait about 5 seconds and see if it does it (although I think I wait more than that already).

I do have to press the break really hard but there's still a firm "jerk"
For those mentioning this, it has nothing to do with the fast idle, we're all aware of that and are waiting until the revs come down...it's that first shift into a forward gear that does it and then poof...all is fine.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

For those mentioning this, it has nothing to do with the fast idle, we're all aware of that and are waiting until the revs come down...it's that first shift into a forward gear that does it and then poof...all is fine.

I disagree. It has everything to do with idle speed. It's somewhat similar to revving the engine and popping the clutch in a manual. When you go from neutral to in-gear it's always going to be a more abrupt shift at higher rpm than lower rpm.

You can produce the same phenomenon on any automatic transmission built for the last 60-70 years. I felt something similar in my father's 1954 Ford revving the engine and popping it in D.

In the F-Type the revs come down a bit after 10 seconds or so, but they don't come all the way down to the warm idle speed.

EDIT: High revving on start up and higher-rev cold idles are becoming fairly standard and the result of emissions requirements. Cold engines pollute more than warm engines, and it's all about getting the cats up to temp as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-21-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-21-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
I disagree. It has everything to do with idle speed. It's somewhat similar to revving the engine and popping the clutch in a manual. When you go from neutral to in-gear it's always going to be a more abrupt shift at higher rpm than lower rpm.

You can produce the same phenomenon on any automatic transmission built for the last 60-70 years. I felt something similar in my father's 1954 Ford revving the engine and popping it in D.

In the F-Type the revs come down a bit after 10 seconds or so, but they don't come all the way down to the warm idle speed.

EDIT: High revving on start up and higher-rev cold idles are becoming fairly standard and the result of emissions requirements. Cold engines pollute more than warm engines, and it's all about getting the cats up to temp as quickly as possible.

makes sense

Old 11-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

While the rpm will have an effect, the cause is that the parking pawl in the transmission is being disengaged, and the torque converter is being connected to the driven wheels.

The jerk will be most noticeable if the car is parked on a gradient, with the engine running at anything above tickover. To minimise any jerk, park on a horizontal surface, let the revs settle before engaging Drive, and - most importantly - hold the brake pedal down firmly.

HTH.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm going with Foosh on this one. Mine definitely jerks when cold even when revs have dropped to "cold idle" speed. Doesn't matter how long I wait, I even waited a minute to be sure.

I jumped in the car earlier when it was still fairly warm from an earlier drive (less than 2 hours earlier), and no jerk whatsoever.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

I will say that it never did this when it was new and only became noticeable after I had it a while...and when it first happened, I thought it was rather odd.

My car is parked on a flat floor in my garage. I start it up (immediately turning off the eco and turning on the exhaust) while waiting for the fast idle to be finished then I put it into reverse and back down my driveway, which is about 30 feet then into drive where I hold my foot firmly on the brake.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Buick,

It's normal to not notice many things about a car when it's an entirely new experience. It's akin to sensory overload. I'm still picking up subtle nuances 18 months later. However, it was doing the same thing when it was new.

During the first week or so, I actually stalled the engine when I started it and instantly put it in gear during the initial cold start-up rev.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:59 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

my 2015 coupe does the same thing and I wouldn't consider it normal behaviour. It feels like I'm being rear ended every morning and evening when I put the car in D. There's a second delay between shifting the stick and the 'jerk'. If I go into reverse after starting there's no delay and no jolt.

I might have to take the car to the dealer, leave it overnight and go back in the morning and start the car so they can see what I'm talking about.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:34 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Never noticed this, but I always start in with R, not D.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jallitt
my 2015 coupe does the same thing and I wouldn't consider it normal behaviour. It feels like I'm being rear ended every morning and evening when I put the car in D. There's a second delay between shifting the stick and the 'jerk'. If I go into reverse after starting there's no delay and no jolt.

I might have to take the car to the dealer, leave it overnight and go back in the morning and start the car so they can see what I'm talking about.
You may not consider it "normal behaviour" compared to other cars you've driven, but it is normal behavior for this car. It also happens to be arguably, and by most reviewer accounts, the very best automatic transmission ever built.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 PM

I never notice this in the morning, maybe because I start off in reverse. But, I think I know what you are talking about because I will sometimes shift into neutral when sitting at a long light. When I put it in drive, and hit the gas it does jerk forward with a very awkward-feeling jolt. Try that, if you want to show a dealer it may save you from needing to leave it at dealership overnight. Mine is not severe enough that I'm ready to hassle with it, but maybe yours is worse than mine.

Quick Reply: Car jerks when put in drive every morning