F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car not starting

Hey guys, so i have a 2015 jaguar f type R. As i was driving one day it was driving normal then a few seconds later it started running really rough and a knocking sound coming from the top of the engine so i parked the car at a friends house after 3 mins of driving and now the car won’t start, it would turn but not crank so the car has oil, battery is fully charged, new alternator and starter. when i scanned the car i got these codes; P0A0F(engine failed to start) and P0011( camshaft position timing over advanced) btw i’m a mechanic and i honestly ran out on ideas on why it won’t start. i’d appreciate you guys ideas!

Old 03-16-2022, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,612 Likes on 863 Posts

Just sent PM.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 03-16-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:40 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Not sure what you mean by 'turn but not crank.' A few people have had poor grounds in the engine bay; you might double check the ground stud or studs.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
Not sure what you mean by 'turn but not crank.' A few people have had poor grounds in the engine bay; you might double check the ground stud or studs.
grounds are good. can a bad VVT cause it to not start?

Old 03-16-2022, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 614 Likes on 422 Posts

From the codes (and the noise), looks to me as if a timing chain stretched or jumped a tooth.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Posted prematurely.
i saw your reply and thank you and i can make a video on when i try to start it and can it be possible that a bad VVT can cause a car to not start?

Old 03-16-2022, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 566 Posts

Based on your code(s). Possible or probable causes are:
  • Cam timing improperly set Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
  • VCT solenoid valve stuck open
  • Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit)
DTC P0011 is a check of the VCT unit. Usually the engine will idle rough, hard starting and may stall. Diagnostics and repair for the VCT unit are located in the Workshop Manual. Check the operation of the VCT solenoid and check for a stuck or sticking solenoid valve caused by contamination. If the valve is stuck, check spider bracket for contamination prior to solenoid replacement.
The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the VCT position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails (and you get the error) when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in an retarded position.

So you have an issue with the VCT on Bank 1. One other thing to check is for clean (and enough) oil. On my 997 TT I can occasionally get a VCT code if/when oil is dirty and may prevent the solenoid from working correctly, or a spec of dirt.

Good luck.

DC

The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
Carbuff2 (03-16-2022), uncheel (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
DTC P0011 is a check of the VCT unit. Usually the engine will idle rough, hard starting and may stall. Diagnostics and repair for the VCT unit are located in the Workshop Manual. Check the operation of the VCT solenoid and check for a stuck or sticking solenoid valve caused by contamination. If the valve is stuck, check spider bracket for contamination prior to solenoid replacement.
The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the VCT position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails (and you get the error) when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in an retarded position.

So you have an issue with the VCT on Bank 1. One other thing to check is for clean (and enough) oil. On my 997 TT I can occasionally get a VCT code if/when oil is dirty and may prevent the solenoid from working correctly, or a spec of dirt.

Good luck.

DC
this helped a lot appreciate it! would you have a diagram of where the VCT is located?

Old 03-16-2022, 11:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Can't help you there. However, I have this OBD guide from 2014 for the AJ133 (V8). It doesn't have much on P0011, but it does have a lot of the starting logic and flowcharts, etc. May or may not be helpful.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ek33ux7tf...guide.pdf?dl=0

Old 03-16-2022, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88

Good luck.

DC
i had forgot to mention that i did install a mina gallery complete upper and lower intake system. i doubt it’s possible that would cause the problem but the car did idle slightly rough nothing crazy i was talking to velocity ap and mina to see if a tune would be required

Old 03-16-2022, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by whoisraif
i had forgot to mention that i did install a mina gallery complete upper and lower intake system. i doubt it’s possible that would cause the problem but the car did idle slightly rough nothing crazy i was talking to velocity ap and mina to see if a tune would be required
Yeah...I doubt the intake had anything to do with it, or that you need a tune. It is possible you disturbed something else during the install of the intake.

Here is the best I have to help on the VCT. The PDF has all of the Engine Electronic controls.

DC